Champ Car vs IRL 2007

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by the cup, Mar 14, 2007.

1. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Here's an interesting article from ESPN talking about how the teams that won this weekend won just enough prize money to cover the costs of repairing their cars.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=1&columnist=oreovicz_john&id=2916288

I'm surprised the prize money is so low. Anyone know where the prize money comes from for these races? I'll admit I know very little about the financial side of how things work in the IRL and Champ Car. But only $75,000 for the Champ Car victory in Cleveland seems very low.

How do these teams and drivers make any money? Mostly through sponsors I guess but still, how do some of these teams survive?

Can anyone give me a break-down on the financial side of things?

2. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Nah, it's only exciting if the guy winning aside from Bourdais is named Pagenaud or Gommendy and especially not Tracy ! :D ;)

3. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, no one on either side is publishing numbers, but I can give you some insight. The first thing to remember is that the IndyCar side of things is much bigger financially than the Champ Car side, and that really probably boils down to a few main points. First, foremost, and the 800 lb. gorilla is the Indianapolis 500. That is the richest race in open wheel, and it may be the richest race period. Secondly is sponsorship, and this very much ties in with the first one. IndyCar, for the most part, gets pretty decent sponsorship, as the Indy 500 gives it a great deal more exposure. The sponsors are really who pay the bills, not the prize money. Third, and I really hate to say it, is Danica. She has brought a bunch more exposure to IndyCar and you can tell it in the prize money on offer.

In the end, though, it's about the teams. Like soccer, there are haves and have nots, and one by one the haves have migrated over to the IRL. These are the best funded, best run teams, and like Penske Racing, they have moved over to the IndyCar side. If the rumored move of Newman/Haas/Lanigan from the CCWS to the IRL happens, I truly believe that that is it for Champ Car. Hope this helps.

4. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There are rumors of N/H/L going to IRL? What have you heard on that?

5. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of places. Check out the Indy Star and Speed TV. The one thing they do say is that Paul Newman would have no part of it.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NHL will have no part of Indy as long as Newman is alive. And even then I find it unlikely they'll be leaving any time soon.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, I'd argue against there being any clear advantage to IRL right now in terms of money or sponsors. I probably read the same article you did at the beginning of the season that said IRL "looked" to be in better shape at their respective debuts to the press. However Champ hadn't even had the chance to paint sponsor logos on many of their cars which had only debuted a week prior. And looking at their cars on Sunday, they all look fairly well sponsored to me. Big names like CDW, McDonalds, etc... adorn all the cars.

Second, yes IRL's purses were slightly larger, but Andretti/Green only took away $210,000 from the IRL race and they finished 1-2. So their purses aren't substantially bigger when it's all said and done.

Third, look at the attendance of both leagues. IRL only managed to get 35k in fans to their race over the weekend, Champ on the other hand got 151k out to their race weekend (Fri-Sunday). I know they got 57k to their race in San Jose last year. So in that category Champ is the clear victor. You are correct that the Indy 500 is a huge boon for the IRL, however I'd argue that it's the one thing holding their league up. Their other races aren't as well attended as Champ's more rounded schedule is. Plus IRL has problems of their own. After 2008 they won't even have an engine manufacturer, and that's assuming Honda doesn't bail even earlier then they've stated they will.

As for N/H/L leaving Champ, I've found nothing to back that up, even idle speculation. And with their recent investment in the new Panoz chassis, I doubt they'll be throwing in the towel for the next 3 years at least assuming they're even considering it.

In the final analysis, both leagues are doing poorly in certain areas. Champ has better attendance, IRL better TV. Champ has better equipment, IRL more star power drivers. The only real winner is NASCAR.

8. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I suppose it makes sense that it would be difficult to find out too much about the financial health of both series. Neither want to give out too much info about their finances to prevent the other from gaining an advantage.

Too bad the fans have to suffer at times wondering if their favorite series will survive or not.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we have to worry too much about them surviving. All the articles I've read recently have said both are setting themselves up to survive on their own long term and that any hope of reunification is likely gone for at least the next 3 years, and likely permanently.

10. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    athletics68, I know we're going to disagree about a lot of things on this one, with me being an IndyCar fan and you being a CCWS fan, but I am telling you I am seeing a lot of rumbling about Carl Haas in particular going over to the IRL. Paul Newman supposedly wants no part of it, but I am not kidding when I keep seeing the rumblings. This being BigSoccer, we all know that it's 50/50 on what's true and what's not, but the rumblings do generally have a where there's smoke, there's fire feel to them.

11. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Keep in mind though the team's name is Newman/Haas/Lanigan. There is a new owner in the group, Mike Lanigan. I wonder if it would boil down to Haas wants to go, Newman doesn't and Lanigan would be the deciding vote.

Or maybe Haas would start his own team, move to IRL, and Newman and Lanigan would stay in Champ Car.

12. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  13. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    After watching that race I hope Champ Car is around for many years and especially with Mont Tremblant on the schedule, that track was freaking awesome. A lot of elevation changes, very scenic and fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many teams would that make that have defected since the split? Heck, two of the three power teams in the IRL were originally Champ Car teams.

15. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Four I think.

Ganassi, Penske, Rahal/Letterman, and Andretti/Green?

16. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Big day tomorrow, Champ Car at 1pm Eastern on ESPN and IRL on ABC at 330pm Eastern.

Throw into the mix F1 on Fox and you have a hell of a day!

Enjoy everyone.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Lannigan just joined them. So I don't think he'd have joined a Champ team unless his intention was to race in Champ Car. And I woudn't say I'm a CCWS fan over IRL. I enjoy the Indy 500 every year. I just enjoy CCWS overall schedule more since it comes into my backyard.

18. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That was another pretty exciting race in Toronto today thanks to the rain mixing things up. Too bad Dalziel and Pacific Coast Motorsports couldn't make it on to the podium though thanks to Wilson bumping Dalziel into the tires with only a minute or two to go. It would have been good to see that new team get some success.

With respect to the IRL, where was Milka Dunno? Did she skip this one since it was a road course?

Here's a link to an ESPN story, poor Mario Andretti has been working his ass off trying to get Champ Car and IRL back together. He makes a good point where it seems NASCAR is starting to maybe loose some fans it would be the perfect time to unify open-wheel and get some of those fans back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=1&columnist=oreovicz_john&id=2929121

[​IMG]

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's not likely to happen anytime soon. The two groups are still as determined as ever for their side to come out on top if they ever merge. Which is of course mutually exclusive.

20. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If they ever decide to do a movie about Tony Kanaan I know who they could get to play the part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    Athletics, where have you found the Honda contract ends at the end of next year? The only thing I can find on the net is that the contract with Honda/IRL ends at the end of the 2009 season. Well, that link and a line in Wikipedia so take the second source for what it is worth...lol

At that, the Honda engine is supplied by Ilmor. So if Honda pulled their name off the engine it would be no big deal. They would run it as the Ilmor engine until a new sponsor could be found. Ilmor is also partly owned by Roger Penske. I know Penske is not part owner of the IRL but he believes enough in it that he moved over to the series from the former CART.

CCWS started the season with just Cosworth engines. They are now Mazda-Cosworth after Mazda threw money CCWS way.

22. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I thought Penske pretty much had to move over to the IRL due to his sponsor at the time Marlboro. If I remember correctly legistlation was passed right about that time preventing tobacco companies from advertising in more than one racing series meaning that had Penske stayed in CART, Marlboro wouldn't have be able to advertise anymore at the Indy 500.

23. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    You are correct about the law as I recall it, a tobacco company can only advertise in one sport. Due to the split of the then CART and IRL the actual name Marlboro could only appear on the car in one series. Yes, Marlboro wanted to be on the car at Indy but they could have easily ran the car in the neon red and white colors with out the name on the car, like they currently do and just have "Team Penske" listed on the car.

Penske, like Ganassi, loves the Indianapolis 500. It killed him to be away from the speedway, especially with his final 500 before the split his cars failed to qualify for the race.

24. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  25. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake