Chad Johnson a Liverpool fan?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by ghazi, Dec 28, 2005.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So here I am in this downtown "sports" bar, surrounded by thick necked guys whose nuckles drag in the sawdust that's put down for atmosphere, as they sip their Bud Lite.
    I order a pint of guinness and as they're all staring at me I say casually, "I see David Beckham was wearing a Cowboys Teeshirt, he must be a fan huh!"

2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOFL

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Draft?

Musta tasted weird.

4. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Until I hear Chad Johnson say Djibril Cisse is ********, I won't believe any American celebrity actually genuinely likes football.

5. SiriuslyCold

SiriuslyCold Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Malaysia
    Nat'l Team:
    Malaysia
    Samuel Jackson is.

Funny you should mention this movie Cinemax just showed it - I didn't know it was filmed at Anfield. Nice to see Meatloaf splattered all over one of the executive boxes *LOL*

Anyone know which match it was?

6. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks for the feedback. I was just curious cuz of the limited edition shirt Chad was sporting. Didnt mean to stir the masses into a lecture of how this is an irrelevant post to the this forum.

I was curious. I got an answer. It worked out well for me.

. . hey, how 'bout that HArry Kewell guy? :D

7. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, that is funny!

8. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Just to keep this thread alive :D
    Chad Johnson ended regular season with a total of 1,432 receiving yards, which is 3rd best in the NFL...with 89.5 yards per game he is 6th in the league...
    He led the Bengals to the 1st place in the AFC north and in the first round of the playoffs they face the hated rivals Pittsburgh Steelers...
    I think that game will be the last this season for the Bengals and our all-time favorite athlete Chad Johnson... :(
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5483

9. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Ok - now this post is completely off topic! :D

10. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Bump.

So, one year later, it appears that he is actually an Arsenal fan.
    Chad Johnson Talks Soccer

Sorry, couldn't let this thread die. :D
    :eek:
    :(
    *runs and hides under bed*

11. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    :D :D

I actually read this thread again, had to LOL at times. (I didn't know I was so funny??!!)

It's a classic

12. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure people will scoff, but I actually think it's a bit cool. He likes the game, good for him.

As far as switching favorite teams. Oh well, not everyone is a supporter.

13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I still have never heard of Chad J and I don't feel I'm missing anything in my life because of it.....(Please don't :) )

I just enjoyed the banter

14. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chad Johnson is a badass. Definitely one of the coolest players in the NFL and I'm glad to hear he's a fan of the beautiful game.

15. diamonddnice

diamonddnice New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Just a bit of a cultural note: From a cultural standpoint that's not uncommon. I've noticed many African Americans gravitate towards Arsenal because they have alot of players of African decent. It's not surprising because similar things happened in American sports. Many African Americans identify with Brazil a country with very strong African roots as well as African Countries like Nigeria, Ghana, & Cameroon. Especially Ghana because it was a slave port to the Americas. As a side note i gravitated towards Liverpool because I was a huge John Barnes fan and as an African American I identified with him, his flair, but most of all personal struggles against racial abuse. It's one of the things that always makes me proud to support Liverpool.

16. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes two of us:D

17. stanaccrington

Jan 4, 2005
    There are more player of African decent with Bolton then Arsenal, if the reason is they only watch because of that then why don't they support Accrington Stanley,? they have 2 players from Benin, which is the major country involved with the slave trade. Brazil is number 1 in the world of Football, would they followthem if they were number 112? Sorry I like your sentiments for following Liverpool and thank you for admiring such a great player and person, but English Football, unlike Basketball or even American Football crosses the racial divide, you can have a team of purple players that would be supported by the town or city's purple people. Purple people from another town or city would hate them, not even acknowledge the good players on the team.

18. liverpool1003

liverpool1003 New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    NY
    Clive Owen is also a massive Liverpool fan

19. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an American perspective, I understand why a lot of black people support Arsenal. They play attractive, fluid soccer, and a large proportion of their players are French-African or from an African country. Thierry Henry is massively popular, at least as much as a soccer player can be in the U.S.

Arsenal is also on TV a lot more than a team like Bolton (or Accrington Stanley, for that matter ;) ) and they're one of the better teams in FIFA and Winning Eleven (and yes, that is one of the ways many people here pick their teams, but that's a whole different thread).

The fact of the matter is, there is not a whole lot of racial diversity in the American soccer culture. Yes, many different ethnic groups embrace the game, but when it comes to Americans who play and watch, the vast majority are white. So seeing professional African players (and many of the more entertaining footballers in the EPL are either black or from Africa) is somewhat of an anomaly in the American soccer landscape. It's understandable that they in turn are admired by black athletes here.

Let's just say it's understandable why a guy like Chad Johnson would be a Didier Drogba fan rather than a Dietmar Hamann fan. :D

20. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In the States we are almost all from somewhere else through our ancestors. So called "white" people are actually a very diverse group of people. Within that group you'll find people who support Benfica because their great grandmother was from Portugal, or support Milan because their father came from Italy. Many of them also have a second national team after the USA on the same basis. Being decended from Irish grandparents, Liverpool is as close to a local club team as you'll get (yeah I'm aware of Shelborne et al) and I will always look to see the Irish result. It is all natural.

21. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same situation I am in, being descended from Irish grandparents and all. I always look for Irelands national team results and I was cheering pretty hard when Keane equalized against Germany in the 02 WC.

22. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm of Scottish descent. And Protestant.

Rangers?

:rolleyes: :p

23. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God forbid. Kenny Dalglish should be your model: Scots, Protestant, Celtic and Liverpool. YNWA!

24. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also look for the Celtic result, not that I particularly root for them or anything but being Catholic and knowing the rivalry between the two glasgow teams, it just seems right.

25. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    FYP!!!
    Ridiculous amazingness.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf6XhvUxKrE