Chacon is not the answer either

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Aug 11, 2002.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was one of the guys that wanted him in the lineup for a long time. I now know why Nicol did not play him,,,,simply put, his is bad! Last night I screamed at the TV everytime a rev passed the ball to him. His first touch was dismal, when he had his back to goal, he got picked clean every time and his passing was pathetic. I have noticed a few times in the past that his play was suspect but I figured maybe that was because he was comming in as a sub but now I realize its because he is just not that good. For every cheecky back heal he has, he has 7 or 8 giveaways. By the end of the first half I was screaming for Wolde and that is truely scarey!! We have 1 forward and 3 other players that play that position. I curse Serna for getting hurt. He was a pain in the arse but at least he was dangerous and took pressure away from Taylor. I think when Kamler gets healthy Coach should give Winston a look at foward, can't do any harm, they can't suck any worse!

2. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    Chacon did have a bad game, but jesus what has he played in like 4 games in which he started. What about taking out Rooney or never playing Fuller or Harris again. Chacon has more talent in his left a$$ cheek than they both do combined. Why doesn't anyone say anything about Taylors play last nite? Yah I know he wasn't fed the ball to much but even when he did he was shut down. I love Twellman just as much as the next person, but how can you single out one person, when in all reality it's a team game and you put your "best" players out there. When Fuller plays he plays 100 times worse than Chacon played last nite. Harris doesn't try the full 90 minutes. Atleast Chacon never really gave up last nite. It's team game, just remeber that. There are 11 players on the pitch, not one.

3. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    I know that Hudson is looking for a striker. Maybe he'd want Chacon back. I figure that the first argument against this is that he'd go down there and finally turn it on, but really, he's not doing anything here. I'd take a draft pick for him, just to get his salary off the books. Ray and DC can take the injured Serna too. They've got to be taking up the better part of 1/3 to 1/2 of our salary, wouldn't you think? It'd also get 2 foreign players off our books. Or maybe Ryan Nelson for Chacon... foreigner for foreigner.

4. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    RYAN NELSON! RIGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTTT

500th Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll say sumthin - He played lazy last nite. He was bitchin too about how he had three guys on him the whole time. Well waddy'a know? a good player bein marked. You cant tell me he didn't know that was gonna happen.

By the way, the Galaxy dont have a horrible back line either, even tho its not great.

6. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    I'm not exactly sure what to make of this, but my thought behind it was foreign player for foreign player. I know Nelson was on the blocks for a while, and he certainly wouldn't be any worse than what we have.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I thought he played pretty poorly overall. He was horrible for the opening 30 minutes, and I was sure he'd be subbed at halftime. But he seemed to pick up his play somewhat and got more involved.

His touches when semi-marked were atrocious. For a skilled player, he had an awful lot of trouble keeping the ball at his feet.

His missed header in the first half was a real letdown. That's a chance he has to cash in, this isn't Ian Fuller we're talking about. Those chances are his bread and butter!

Plus, I almost forgot, his disastrous backpass led directly to an LA counterattack goal. With everyone pressing up and the ball in the possession of the most skilled player on the team, he made an inconceivable mistake.

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Rooney thing has been talked about in another thread,,,,Fuller and Wolde? why trash them, everyone already knows they suck. As for Chacon giving up, well he gave it up all night and whined more than Taylor. Chacon had is pocket picket all night, every time his back was to goal, he lost the ball, I think even Cienfuegos took the ball away from him once. Chacon would fall down and look for a foul. Your right, its a team not just one player. Problem is some players are worse than others and Chacon headed the list!

9. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I've been one who has been screaming for Chacon to get some playing time, and I was really disappointed last night.

Still, I'd rather have him in there than Wolde or Fuller.

10. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Let's get real

Perhaps the real Chacon and Rooney were abducted on their way north from Ft. Lauderdale?
    Maybe the real secret to the New England Fusion would have been adding Ian Bishop.
    The real missing link?

11. Hobobob

Hobobob New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    At this point in the season it's too late to get someone to replace Chacon, especially if you want him to form the heart of the midfield. Therefore I think the best idea is to start Chacon for most of the remaining games. If he doesn't contribute enought then trade him in the offseason.

Chacon hasn't lived up to his standard of play from last season, but the only other alternatives (Fuller and Harris) haven't shown anything either. Chacon has had some good plays and hopefully with more playing time he'll improve.

12. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Problem is, Chacon was worse than useless last game. His inability to hold the ball under pressure kept the Revs defense on their heels all day and he directly contributed to the first LA goal (not to mention missing the sitter that would have put the Revs up 1 - 0). Chacon doesn't fit and hasn't from day one. It was idiocy to sign him in the Allocation Draft when the Revs already had a better attacking midfielder, but it's just as misguided to continue using him now when he can be a detriment to the team.

Use him as a sub maybe, but starting him every game is suicide.

13. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chacon

So he hardly ever plays and when he does actually start, you're shocked that his first touch is a little off? Give him a few starts in a row and allow him a chance to get into a rhythm before making a definitive judgement.

I don't see what it can hurt. They've been crap without him. Might as well give him a shot.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Re: Chacon

A little off? It looked like his first game of preseason. He has been practicing all year, he's been playing in exhibitions. It shouldn't be an effort to keep the ball at his feet on short passes!

15. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    For what its worth, my subconscious must have filed his performance under "inexcusable" because I had a dream last night I was playing a rec-leage match with the guy on my team and he was the laziest player out there. I proceeded to berate the hell out of him. Felt good, I have to say...:)

16. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Re: Chacon

This isn't youth league anymore...you're either good to go or you hurt the team, as showed against LA.

17. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Chacon

"He had a crap game. So we should get rid of him."

That's what's wrong with this bloody franchise. There's no continuity, no big vision, no style, nothing. Just throw 11 players out there, don't give them any time to mesh and then change it around the next game. No wonder we've been crap for all but one year of our existence.

Apparently, Chacon had a crap game. You can say that and I have no problem. But this season, he hasn't been given a chance to settle into any kind of role.

Whatever style Nichol believes in playing (assuming he has one) doesn't appear to jive with Chacon's style. If Chacon is not going to be given a real chance, that's more reason to get rid of him than one crap match.

18. rscaramelo

rscaramelo Coach/Hack Defender

May 5, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chacon has had a crap year. Revs' management should cut their losses and just unload him if possible.

RC