Cha as the new coach for Suwon.

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Deleted Users, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Ok, I know this is old news but I'm bringing this topic up again but what are your thoughts on Cha Bum-guen? He failed miserably as a coach in '98 and I don't even want to look at passed results of his coaching history. Suwon signed a 3 year contract and paid the highest salary for a coach in the league. I think Suwon are nuts.

2. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    I vaguely remember there were some explanations of his dismal coaching job that led up to South Korea's disastrous 98 world Cup in France. Apparently, Cha Bum Keun was never given carte blanche to coach the way he wanted to. Instead, some prick in the KFA played the puppet master and pulled his strings.

I think coaching a K-League club maybe his way of making a statement or desire to show people that he is in fact a capable coach.

But who knows if all of those allegations were coming out of someone's ass and Cha in fact was a crappy coach.

3. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Well, I can only judge by the way the team performs and what the coach says in interviews. In my opinion, Cha did a horrible job in WC98. He kept on saying how the Korean players were inferior to the Europeans, which everyone knew, but undermined the players' confidence.

Hiddink, on the other hand, gave the players confidence, so that they played above their abilities. Incidentally, Korea got the draw against Belgium in WC98 after Cha was fired.

It is plain dumb to go into a game saying, "We have no chance."

4. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Cha did not make the loses his player's fault. As for everyone who points finger at Cha for having a terrible 98 run? You guys are freaks. Korea had the best ever qualification run '98 by not losing a single game to qualify (member 4 years earlier, they barely qualified after japan tied iraq). The game against Mexico was 50-50 chance and we lost due to red card (even we scored on spain 2 goals after their red card). There was no way in the world we would have even came close to tieing Holland.

I still remember... Media was scapegoating Cha because he didn't start Choi Yong-Soo!! and against belgium, choi screws up two great header shots over the cross bar.

Every corrupt soccer personnels hated cha to begin with. He wanted to introduce european style soccer in Kleague when he coached in Korea, but idiots like Kim Hogon thought people who graduated their college should take over K-league coach positions. Remember how cha refused to pay bribes during his germany years? No one wants to defend a person who doesnt pay bribes.

5. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Dude, the final score is what counts in a game. No matter how much those euro-snobs whine about us beating Spain, and no matter how much everyone criticizes us for trippn over Apollo Anton Ohno or us trippn over the Japanese calling it the FIFA WC JAPAN/KOREA, we will be remembered as semi-finalists, 'cheaters' pushing Ohno from the behind, and 2002 will be remembered as WC KOREA/JAPAN.

Cha hasnt done shite, and he doesnt deserve the credit he is recieving, getting paid god-know-how-much.

6. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Re:

essvee:

"Cha hasnt done shite, and he doesnt deserve the credit he is recieving, getting paid god-know-how-much."

As a coach, you mean. Not as a player, I hope.

7. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Ah that post on 98 and Choi Yong-soo screwing up those two perfect chances was the start of my distaste for that player. For over 4 years he has been the source of much misery for me in terms of football.
    I hope he never gets called up again.

8. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Re: Re:

lol why do you even ask?
    Seems to be thing thing where great players don't really make great coaches.

9. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    ...cha has done as much as any other korean coach has done.

He proved himself in the WC qualfiying in 98. He got killed in the WC, but which coach hasn't? in addition to that, he's proven that he has ethics, which is a very important factor.

10. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    I think this opportunity can be his proving ground. For me, I don't like the signing because if he does good w/ Suwon, he might get another chance with NT (which I don't want) and if he doesn't, I'll get pissed. By the way, I'm not so worried about our NT losing to Vietnam and Oman. I don't know why.

11. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Now that I regained consciousness, I agree with you. Just watch us win the Asian Cup and that will be that.