Central Florida Pt. 3

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Z010 Union, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to the Requests section of the Customer Service forum. Post in the request thread. That's where we need it.

2. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Sub-forum!

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a name for a Miami SSS:

Sean Taylor Memorial Stadium :(

(So what if he was an American football player...)

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
  6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright first off, enough with the cult/bigotry comments. There are no place for them here.

That aside, the Galactics have had this plan for at least a year. Reportedly they are starting this spring to start building their place. They plan on having a USL1 team by 2010/2011. They are very energetic and have really grown in a short time, but it seems like a big leap to go from nothing to a 15k stadium in 3 years.

We'll see. I wish them luck.

[​IMG]

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your right, they are the only ones know stepping up to the plate...

They say they want to have a team for the Tampa Bay area..I'm so soccer depraved if they get a team into USL-1 or MLS I'm supporting them, and about the cult situation i googled Valderrama and the Galactics and it doesn't say that their affiliated with Scientology:D

9. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, when I posted mine, I totally forgot about the Clearwater/Scientology connection. :eek:

But their primary office at 101 N. Garden Ave. is only a block away from several Church of Scientology establishments in downtown Clearwater. One can only hope the name was chosen in jest.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... :rolleyes:

It was chosen because they are Real Madrid fans...come on guys, focus, please.

11. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, it's supposed to be ready in 2010. Surely, they have a site for this, because the website doesn't mention where it's going to be located...

The only place within Clearwater I can see is at Court St. and Hillcrest.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed them to find out where. I'll post when they tell me something.

13. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    We are all soccer depraved, Whitestar Warriors; we are all soccer depraved. :)

Damn, that's a nice soccer complex. They should get together with the owners of the Tampa Bay Rowdies and relaunch the Rowdies, who, after all, have more roots in the Tampa Bay area than Real Madrid does....and we already have two clubs in MLS that reference Real Madrid/Galacticos: RSL and LAG. We don't need a third! :p

14. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Uh, we mean "classical" European official names like Wednesday, Rovers, Wanderers, Hotspur, etc? I don't see how Rowdies is any different from those sorts of names, and Rowdies has a long and honorable history in the Tampa Bay area - none of those "classical" European names do. I'm all for using "classical" European names, if there are no American soccer names that have a history and tradition in the city/region in question. That isn't the case in the Tampa Bay area.

Look, if you want a "classical" name, do what the Vancouver Whitecaps did. Their official name is Whitecaps Football Club. Unofficially they are the Vancouver Whitecaps. "Whitecaps" may not be a "classical European" name, but it is the classical, traditional, historical name for a soccer club from Vancouver. Same situation for Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes, New York Cosmos, Tampa Bay Rowdies. Just because some of you young whippersnappers aren't aware of this history and tradition doesn't mean it does not exist and isn't important! Consarnit! (I can't believe I typed that; next I'll be yelling at you kids to get off my lawn!) :)

If we were putting an MLS soccer club in Orlando, I would chose a "classical European" name since there's no meaningful history or tradition of professional soccer in Orlando. But the Tampa Bay area ain't Orlando.

I realize some of you younger people, especially those not from the Tampa Bay area, are not aware of this history. But watch the documentary on the Cosmos, Once in a Lifetime, and notice what club gets mentioned most often after the Cosmos: the Rowdies. That's not an accident. The Rowdies were second in attendance after the Cosmos, too, averaging over 30,000 a game by the late 70s. "Iron Mike" Connell has a Rowdies website up now too which is worth a look:

http://www.tampabayrowdies.com/

Hell, we even had our own unofficial supporters group and home end section (aka the Zonies), twenty years before MLS supporters groups emerged:

15. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the Clearwater Galactics anyway affiliated with Real Madrid or are they just fans?

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just fans, but Carlos Veldaramma is a director/partner with them.

17. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    just what i was thinking, i had never even heard of these people untill a few months ago, seems pretty quick to be doing this, stadium design does look nice however, but i have a feeling this isnt going to happen so soon

18. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
  19. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seriously thinking of getting a membership with the Galactics, but I will wait to see what happens with the West Ham United situation

20. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    they're expecting 5,000 people for the soccer festival

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you think about it 5,000 is a pretty big number for a festival that doesn't really have big soccer stars, some european teams that play in the second league in their countries have about 5,000 capacity stadiums

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might have to check this out.

At least to tell the designer the stands seem a bit set far out from the pitch. What's a good distance between field boundary lines and stands?

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what the regulations are, but I like the way the English Premiership stadiums are close to the pitch.

Also USL said that in 2009 their will be an expansion team in Florida, It would be great if it was Tampa, since the West Ham United rumours could be true, anyway everything is a speculation, but wouldn't it be great if we had this rivalry West Ham United Tampa vs. Clearwater Galactics

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Ham isn't coming to USL in 2008. Its doubtful they will come to Florida at all (other than a academy).

The Clearwater Galactics want to be in USL1 by 2010. They are the Florida team USL is mentioning.

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At the bottom of the USL homepage it says 2009 expansion in Florida, but if their talking about the Galactics then at least it's a start to something great, I'm still hopeful about West Ham United:D