Center Mid Positioning

Discussion in 'Player' started by doctor_mooch, Nov 28, 2010.

1. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In a game yesterday, our coach changed our formation from a 4-2-2 (diamond midfield) to a 4-3-3. I use to play DM and that was simple enough to position myself, as i had another mid to help me challenge opposing players. But yesterday when we played a 4-3-3, i was played at CM, and coach kept telling me to stay in the middle because i kind of drifted away from the middle in order to keep with my check, or one of there players starts to cut into the middle, and if i didn't go and check him, he would have a free run to the goal, but the coach kept telling me to stay in the middle of field. Where should I be? I know i SHOULD be in the middle of the feild most of the time, but if some guy is absolutely free and just having a free dribble at goal, shouldn't i go and check him and slow him down? or should i just let another defender handle it, and just stay in the middle?

2. brica2010

brica2010 Red Card

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    pass him on to the defender, if everyone followed their man around to an extreme then the formation would be chaos

3. man_in_the_middle

May 2, 2008
    -Try to communicate with another player on your team to make sure they have your back when you switch marks.

-If there is a guy running free in the middle somebody has to challenge. If it's you, do your best to take away his passing lane when you close on him. Try to funnel him into your help. You don't have to disposes him right away, but you do need to slow him down enough until teammates arrive.

- Your coach probably thought you were getting sucked out of position too frequently. If you chase the ball too recklessly they will pass around you. If you follow your mark outside they will use the space you vacated. And if you vacate the center your team is extremely vulnerable there. And in a 4-3-3, the CM has to be very disciplined. Do your best to stay home, but if you have to go, make sure you have cover.

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dr Mooch,

It's a common misconception that when you play a 4-3-3 that the three midfielders line up as a Left, Central, and Right midfielder. Maybe back in the day that was the norm but the modern deployment of midfielders in a 4-3-3 is to actually have three central midfielders. The wingers or outside backs are responsible for the width in the midfield area depending on the priority that the coach sets.

The three midfielders either break down as two defensive mids and one attacking mid OR two attacking mids and one defensive mid. As you're discovering, it is difficult (impossible??) for one central midfielder to manage such a big and tactically important space as the middle of the pitch. The L-C-R deployment also makes it difficult for the mids to help each other.

So the idea is for the three midfielders to play as a unit. Offensively, when one has the ball then he immediately has two options. Defensively, it's easier to cover for each other so the defensive line doesn't have to step up and get pulled out of shape.

The nature of the 4-3-3, according to great Dutch coach Rinus Michels, is to take the game to the other team. The 3 players up top (striker plus two wingers) ideally should be expending a lot of energy pressuring high up the pitch when the ball is lost. They should be funneling play a certain direction since there is a ton of space to be exploited in the midfield.

5. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    You should be able to answer your own question.

What I suppose you really want is an explanation of why the coach keeps telling you to leave your mark and stay in the middle of the field. Why not ask your coach? Before you ask make sure that he sees you complying with his instructions, so he doesn't think you are challenging his authority. Then when you do ask say that you understand the instructions, but you don't understand why he is having you drop off your mark. There is a big difference between playing with one DM and with a pair of DMs, and a lot of variations in how a DM may play--a coach may change his instructions to a DM from game to game. If you understand the "why" behind the coach's comments, it will make you a better player in the long run.

I can guess what your coach's response would be, but you should really be discussing this with your coach, not me.

6. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    thats good the modern 4-3-3 is more of a 4-5-1 with the wide men pushing forward when needed to i.e. attacking

7. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    coach is wrong if he wants you to stay just on the middle ALL of the game.
    Of course you can roam around to help your partners and get upfront if a chance is possible. But dont forget your positioning. Always keep your head up when playing to know where to stand. I learn the hard way how fundamental keeping your head up when playing help for so many reasons including awareness and positioning.

8. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [Dyk why your coach decided to change your main formation? Was someone injured, forced to miss the match, etc.?]