center circle logo

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by scored88, Oct 23, 2004.

1. scored88

scored88 New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    why dont mls teams put their logos in the center circle? all major sports teams do it like the nfl and nba.

i thought of it when i was watching the revs game last week and they had the patriot logo at midfield. i guess i can understand them not having their logo but teams with sss like galaxy and crew should.

it looks good and makes it easy to tell whos home.

why not?

2. rev17

rev17 Member

Mar 2, 2000
    KBK, ME/JAX, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If im not mistaken it has something to do with FIFA regulations. I don't think teams are allowed to have any logos or ads painted on the field. Although, you would think this would also prevent MLS teams from playing on fields with NFL logos...so i could be wrong. Either way, im pretty sure FIFA is the reason MLS logos aren't in the center circle of soccer specific stadia in this country.

3. nation161

nation161 New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    NY
    yea, I agree

sometimes on tv you dont know whos home and whos away.. its pretty frustrating.

this would be a simple yet effective way to look more professional.

4. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    You are correct that there's a FIFA regulation that doesn't allow anything except the standard lines to be painted on a field. However, I've noticed that some foreign TV broadcasts get around this by digitally painting logos on the field, kind of the same way that gridiron games paint lines that mark the first down. But these logos are for advertising. Wouldn't do much for the people attending the games since it would be invisible to them.

5. nation161

nation161 New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    NY
    oh, i didnt know that FIFA wont allow it... that sucks

6. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    The goal posts also must be logo free, but corner flags can be decorated.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that hard.

Say Kansas City is playing Colorado.

The on-screen scoreboard might look like this
    (logo) KC 2 COL 3 90:00 MLS

That reads as KC @ Colorado.

Or possibly:

COL 2 92:02
    KC 3

Colorado @ KC

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I just see what the NFL logo says.

Don't think MLS wants to be different from European leagues anymore.

9. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless it's a FSW broadcast - this year they started following the global standard of putting the home team first, even for MLS games (but not for USL games).

I think the FIFA rules even ban the digital addition of logos or advertising to the field of play, at least during the game (before, halftime, and after is OK).

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSW did this for MLS games last year too.

-G

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    We-no-nah
    I don't like the idea of having logos on the field. I would go with the parsimony principle, keep it simple. I am never impressed with all the glitz and glamour of that.
    If the teams want to build a brand build in the field, with your team, players and style of play.

12. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's easy to tell who the home team is in MLS: they aren't the one wearing white. :rolleyes:

13. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It would be easier if FSW and ESPN picked one format to display which is home and which is away in the score/team info in the top corner.

Eg. Metrostars Vs DC United
    ESPN/2 - US Format (Metros at DC, so bottom team is home).
    FSW - Tradition format (Metros at home to DC)

Even if they could just agree for MLS it would help.

14. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This is all very petty, what we really need to get rid of is that damned "sports ticker" at the bottom of ESPN2's screen. My Hell! Do I really need to know the current WNBA scores or who just won this weekend's NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race?

When I'm watching a soccer game I'd like to see the most action possible, not have 20% of the screen covered up with meaningless scores.

15. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read either a Mercury News or New York Times review of the first game between the Clash and D.C. United in 1996. It outlined what a gamble and what a historic event it was. One anecdote the article mentioned was that at the last minute, the grounds crew at Spartan Stadium had to paint over or remove a Clash logo from the center circle because someone noted it was against FIFA rules. The league was also considering replacing the throw in with a kick in in the months leading up to the first season.

16. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Why is it hard to tell whom is home or who is away? There are only 10 stadiums and all are pretty easily distinguishable, no? More professional perhaps, but also more tacky. Keep the field pure, like more of the sport should be.

17. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This along with "Box Goals" and sponsorships on the front of jerseys are keeping MLS from being big time!

:rolleyes:
    The sports ticker? You are seriously bitching about the sports ticker?

18. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I agree, here's a beginners guide

CHI - Bears logo
    CLB - metal stands, half full crowd usually
    MET - Giants/Jets logo
    NE - Patriots logo
    COL - Broncos logo
    KC - Chiefs logo (probably not a MLS game if it's on TV)
    LA - full crowd
    SJ - field not fully visible on endlines

DC-next year the dirt. now it's tougher. listen for "Adu" references every few minutes. Actually, if it's a televised game, it's probably RFK if a NFL logo isn't visible (majority of games involve Adu)
    DAL-don't think the games are televised (kinda kidding now, but really if this wasn't true I'd have something better)

19. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Haaaaa thats decent actually..

20. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to do what I had to do during the World Cup. I put something in front of the TV that was just high enough to cover that #@*! sports ticker.

21. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    So if its against FIFA rules to have logos and markings on the fields why is it that 1/2 the league has logos on the field? Granted its not for that particular team, but the hell is the difference. Theres still paint on the field. If you go to Giants Stadium during a game around this time you cant even tell there are soccer marking at all. Its mostly yard markers and a big NFL logo. What would be the difference in FIFA eyes if that logo was of the METROS and not the NFL?

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, though it was an MLS logo, not a Clash logo. :eek:

-G

23. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the difference is in whether the logo was put there for the soccer match, or whether it's something that had to be tolerated because of the situation in the stadium. But I think FIFA would rather not have NFL markings at MLS matches either.

24. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor
    Last May's Champions League Final featured the Champs League 'Starball' logo in the center circle at AufSchalke Arena. I could be very wrong, but it appeared to be a pattern mowed into the grass, like the 'Sox' logo in the infield at Fenway.

That technique would be cool to use at MLS venues...like the Rev's stylised US flag or the Chicago Fire block 'C' mowed into the circle. I'd say LA's galaxy swirl badge would look in the center of the HDC pitch, but their groundsharing from next year probably precludes this.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    13 of the 15 Burn home games were broadcast on ESPN2 or Direct Kick. The other two were on HDNET.

In other words, it's not true, so try to come up with something better.