Celtic Possibly Playing in Philly in July?????

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by Zman Gunner, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=167630

Celtic has confirmed matches with DC on 7/12 and New England on 7/19. I read in other articles that they are slated to play another match - rumor has it that the opponent will be Chivas (Guadalajara) and the venue will either Philly (Linc) or Giants Stadium - probably 7/15 or 7/16 (7/15 is a Red Bulls home game so they could do another double-header). I am sure that Lurie and Company would love to keep their summer streak alive of bringing internaional games to the Linc.

2. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I could give a flying f@ck about Mr. Laurie, Joe Banner, et al. when it comes to soccer. Bastards used the sport to help get both state and city funding for that damned empty bowl, but haven't backed it up except for a total of perhaps 8-10 matches (and that includes the WWC03) since it was built.

3. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Even MORE interesting is that about a month to 6 weeks ago I got a letter from RB telling me about the Barca game and it mentioned that they 7/15 game against the Rapids would be played somewhere other than Giants Stadium.

Maybe this thread should be renamed: Possible MLS doubleheader in Philly?

4. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't put any money on the double header happening, but it would be a great way to judge interest in the Philly area by having the MLS play here.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am emailing the club to ask today.
    http://www.celticfc.net/

I welcome assistance in finding out what is going on.

6. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy a 7/15 doubleheader with an announcement of Philadephia Athletic starting in 2007 would make for a nice event.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a response from Celtic FC:
    We will be playing 3 matches on the east coast during a 10 day training camp from 10th - 20th July, however, venues and dates for the matches are still to be announced.

As soon as this information is available, the details will be posted on the official website at: www.celticfc.net

8. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing Celtic play in DC and my own city would be beyond amazing. I hope this happens.

9. Leon_St_Spurs

Leon_St_Spurs New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Phila
    figures, i'll be in memphis during that time.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zman, where are you getting the Chivas and Philly rumor from? If you give me some more solid source I can maybe find out more from my sleuthing.

Thanks

11. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I have a wedding to attend out of state that weekend. Of course if they play on Sunday (7/16) that would be a different story.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not one to doubt the mighty Meadowlands Sports Complex, but on its website, they still have the 7/15 listed as being played at Giants Stadium.
    Are you sure about that Eddie?

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Looking at the letter as we speak.

14. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As said before, that would set the stage PERFECTLY for a Philly MLS announcement. Of course, we thought that about the Draft too...

15. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas rumor was on one of the Celtic - American Supporter Groups (I think that it was a Philly-based one).

The Philly rumor came from an online newspaper article that I read late last night after going to watch DC United destroy the Crew - I can not seem to locate it now (it was from a MLS city, not DC - one that has an article about the local team and then lists a few notes regarding other teams in the league). It listed the DC and NE games for Celtic as well as Philly being a possibility as the middle game of the tour.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONFIRMED! July 16: Match TBC v South American opposition, Philadelphia (4pm local time)

from the official Celtic FC website
    http://www.celticfc.net/newsroom/news.aspx?id='2006-06-02_1206pc'

Yahoo!
    EDIT: Notice TBC means "to be confirmed" so not 100%, but at least 90% ;)

17. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AMAZING!!!

Are Red Bulls moving their game here to play a doubleheader?

18. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would doubt it -if I were a RBNY season ticket holder, would I want a "home" game for which I already paid moved from N. Jersey to Philly?

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie is the only one who can answer that.

20. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    "Are you Tierney in disguise...."

;)

21. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well remember this, we got two free tickets for being a season ticket holder already (Bayern Munich and Barcalona) so they could make up the people upset about it buy telling them they got two free tickets AND RB has a deal for season ticket holders where if you don't use a ticket for a game, you can turn it in for a ticket to another. So technically, people won't lose any money if they have a season ticket.

22. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sexcellent. How much will tix be, I wonder?...

23. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or they can get another convoy of busses to take folks to the Linc.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celtic FC emailed me and confirmed that Celtic will indeed play in Philly on July 16. Opponent and location to be announced on Monday or Tuesday.

25. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although Chivas is not a South American team (which is what the Cletic press release claims will be in opponent in Philly), there were a number of earlier reports of a Celtic - Chivas match in NY on July 15. If I had to guess, Philly gets the Celtic - Chivas match on July 16 to tap both the Scot and Mexican fan base (wonder how many of them supported the Mexican version of the Atoms????). If the opponent is truly South American, I would assume that it would have to be Argie (Boca, River Plate) or Brazilian to have much of a draw at the gate.

Here are the Chivas links (along with the free online Spanish translations about the "nanny goats"):

http://www.univision.com/contentroot/wirefeeds/fmex/6531407.html
    Nanny goats of the Guadalajara will play with Celtic Glasgow in New York

May 23, 2006, 06:33pm ET

Mexico, 23 may (EFE).- The club Mexican nanny goats of the Guadalajara will play in New York a friendly one with the Celtic Glasgow of Scotland as preparation of its sorrow of the Liberators before the Argentine club Vélez Sarsfield.

The party with the Celtic Glasgow will be played July 15, five days before the visit al Vélez Sarsfield of Argentina in the return of the rooms of end of the Liberators, needed the nanny goats in a communiqué.

The nanny goats drew without goals with the Vélez Sarsfield in the away game disputed last May 9 in the Plastered stadium of the Mexican city of Guadalajara.

The vice president of the club nanny goats, Néstor of the Tower, said that besides the play before the Celtic Glasgow, the team prepares the celebration of the centennial with a party before the Barcelona of Spain.

"We want to have somewhat special against the Barcelona to celebrate the centennial of the team (nanny goats), but we are coordinating us so that they come with its better figures and that to us not itself us crossing the Cup Liberators", indicated Of the Tower. EFE.

http://www.chivas.naranya.com/show_nota.php?id=1063
    Guadalajara, Plastered to 23 of May of the 2006.- Five days before nanny goats visit al Vélez Sarsfield, will close its preparation with a friendly game in New York against the Celtic Glasgow, of Scotland on Saturday July 15, 6 days after conclude the World one of Germany 2006.

“We will play July 15 in New York against the Celtic Glasgow, of Scotland, and we want to have somewhat special against the Barcelona to celebrate the Centennial of the team, but we are coordinating us so that they come with its better figures and that to us not itself us crossing the Cup Liberators”, confirmed Néstor of the Tower.