Celtic '67 vs. Man Utd. '99

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by xTottixCorex, Jul 2, 2007.

1. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    Who was the better team? and if they played each other, who would win?

2. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a lot easier to compare Celtic '67 vs. Man Utd. '68. Don't you think?

3. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    i know, i know.

but i was thinking about what both team won in those years. Everyone knows that Man u. won the league, FA cup, and champions league that year. but Celtic won the league, league cup, scottish cup, and champions league as well.what cletic did was easier because of the fact that they and rangers are the only 2 teams in scotland that win year in AND year out. but to beat inter milan AND bring the same group of players to the 1970 final is huge, considering that Man u hasn't been to the final since the 1999 win.

hopefully that made sense.:p

4. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Man Utd 99. Celtic 67 were a great team unit but there wasn't truely outstanding play who could break a game for them (Jimmy Johnstone was an exception). Man U were better individually and they possessed the great striking partnership containing Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke. Keane was the inspirational captain and in Schmeichel, the Red Devils had one of the greatest keepers ever.

Jock Stein was great manager and he did a great job with what he had but he didn't have a true superstar or great partnership as such in his team.

5. laolafever

laolafever Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Dont know i am 20 years i ve never seen celtics 67 team. But ive seen Manu 99 and they where great.

6. Hoopbhoy

Hoopbhoy Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Glasgow
    Not too accurate a contention Totti. It may be the case that the Scottish league is a two horse race now but not in the Scotland of the 60's. For example from the league that Celtic won in 67 Rangers reached the final of the Cup winners cup that year, beaten by Bayern Munich, Kilmarnock reached the semi final of the Fairs Cup( the equivalent of the Uefa Cup) and Dundee Utd knocked out the holders, Barcelona, from the Fairs Cup. So not only did Celtic win every competition they played in that season, they did it in the face of the strongest opposition there has ever been in that league.
    In addition both Dundee in 61 and Kilmarnock in 65 won the Scottish league, in season 64 - 65 Rangers were 5th and Celtic 8th.

Still, the question was would the Man Utd team of 99 beat the Celtic team of 67? To be fair most of that Celtic team are in their 70's now and a few are no longer with us but I think they could probably scrape a draw!:D :D

7. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It seems like that in the 60s, Scottish football was like English football in the 70s. The league was near its highest standard but the NT was crap.

8. GavinZac

GavinZac New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Cork, Ireland
    yeah but so is teddy sheringham! :D

9. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    lol, REP!!!
    :cool:

10. Hoopbhoy

Hoopbhoy Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Glasgow
    LOL I'd forgotten about Teddy. Definitely fair comment.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Easier but not at all fair for Celtic.

12. ap1898

ap1898 Member

Ascoli
    Brazil
    May 3, 2020
    Hello.
    I write in this Great Forum for the 1st time today.
    So I begin with reading oldest posts.
    Obviously my favourite hobby is Football and I'm very interested in Football History (thanks everyone for all I can find here !).

I found this old post and I want to replay, after many years.

In fact I've got a sort of "soccer-simulator" (actually a "dice-and-cards" game) and I can play every match with every team along the Century: it is a "FOOTBALL TIME-MACHINE" (I think that compare past Teams is a wonderful / "romantic" idea, because it seems a "Football-Jubilaeum").

My "match-analysis" is not performed by video-games or PC but - I can say - by "analog-format" (actually I'm 47 years old...): every player has got a "ranking" (speed, heading, shoot,...) and finally I can write a "chronicle" of the match.
    We need fantasy and football-passion and we can be in a "Time-Travel".

For example "Lisbon Lions" and David Beckham can be in the same pitch !

13. ap1898

ap1898 Member

Ascoli
    Brazil
    May 3, 2020
    #13 ap1898, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    CELTIC 1967 vs MANCHESTER UNITED 1997 - 0 - 3

Outstanding Man Utd !
    It's a match dominated by Ferguson's boys.
    Since the kick-off "The Red Devils" attack with cleverness and Celtic players seem weak and slow.
    Only 10 minutes and Manchester Utd scores 2 goals.
    At 8' Giggs sprints as left-wing, controls a perfect long-pass by Keane and comes into penalty-box without problems: he can easily shoot and goal-keeper Simpson isn't able to react.
    One minute after and we see a similar scene: May from defence-line with the ball, long-pass on the left for Phil Neville, player nr 3 runs and quickly reaches Cantona in the box. The French campion (over Scottish opponent Craig) scores wih forehead (actually not perfect Simpson...).
    Again one minute (!!) and Phil Neville retries in the same way: McNeill avoids Beckham's head-shot.
    Jock Stein is furious !!! And at 12' Celtic seems alive: McNeill to Clark, long-pass for Johnstone, dribbling and shoot....Good block by Schmeichel.
    It is an exception: United continues to play "at will" and Roy Keane is "the lord" of the pitch. The Irish-player gives another chance to Giggs (ball outside) at 36' and at 45' there is a wonderful combination from the right-side: Gary Neville long for Beckham, perfect cross in the box and goal by Lee Sharpe (diving).
    Celtic-Man Utd-0-3 at half-time !!
    Second half is not very interesting.
    Celtic does not exist and United controls with calm (only one risk at 25' after a good action by Johnstone wasted by Gemmell).
    For English-side May (with his head at 7' after great Giggs work) and Cole (with right foot at 30' after great Cantona's dribbling) miss good chances.
    Very good Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs and all United players.
    Johnstone is the only significant player today among "The Bhoys".