Celebrity fans of soccer

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by EdgarDavids20, Aug 9, 2004.

1. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Wow, what a insult!

lmao:D

2. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  4. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May have missed it upthread, but there have been a couple of articles on Soccernet or CNN/SI lately about football players who are big soccer fans. One of them was Chad Johnson, going on and on about Chelsea and Drogba.

Ian Johnson, a star on last season's Boise State football team, also is a big Drogba fan and had a phone conversation with him.

I've also recently heard at least one interview on local sports radio where a pro football player spoke glowingly about the sport. The reason these are significant, these are all guys who grew up in a mix soccer/football world. They can help validate the sport as real and authentic with some of parts of America that are typically dismissive. More important is when these top athletes begin to choose world football over the American version. Often these decisions are economically based, so when they see Dempsey or others start to make some money going the soccer route hopefully others will follow.

5. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a niche, you can't even get highlights on sportscenter.... It sounds like your the one that needs "validation" so here it goes. Everyone knows your an amazing soccer player and we are all grateful to be in your company, I and everyone else here values everything you have to say even if it means changing the tone of the entire forum just because your have some sort of animosity towards celebs liking soccer. Thank you sir... Thank you, Thank you and f##k you.

6. lucky13dad

lucky13dad Member

May 16, 2006
    Region 2
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the June 18th issue of Sports Illustrated, there's an interview with Robbie Gould, the Chicago Bears' Pro Bowl kicker (the interview is in a "special advertising section" for McDonald's) and definitely with celebrity status in Chicago after last season. He mentions that the Bears have juggling contests in the locker room (2 teams of 10, keeping the soccer ball "alive" for as long as possible). I'd love to see the average sports radio hater's reaction to that.

7. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think they ended their engagement before getting married.

8. O Fenômeno

O Fenômeno New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    New Jersey
    Funny how their are a bunch of americans supporting Chelsea....they were barely known outside of England 4-5 years ago...

"back then, didn't want me/titles later/THEY ALL ON ME"

9. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Roy Williams is close friends w/ Freddy Adu....jsyk.

Tiger Woods has been seen at a Chelsea match before...friends w/ Shevchenko.

10. mcgurk76

mcgurk76 New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Sean Connery; Billy Connolly; Rod Stewart; Bono; Jim Kerr all Glasgow Celtic supporters. Well Sean Connery has his moments Rangers one day, then the Hibernians the next.....and so forth.

11. nuff_said

nuff_said Member

Jul 25, 2005
    BigSoccer - RM Forum
    Last night at the Bernabeu

[​IMG]

Those 2 look weird

12. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
  13. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jezzuz, Katie looks like she's 57 years old. Is Tom sucking out her life force?:D