Celebration mistake

Discussion in 'Referee' started by indybar, May 3, 2007.

1. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    This is the bottom line here.

A player who takes his jersey off in celebration does so with the full knowledge that he will earn a card for doing so. He's decided that the goal is important enough, his status in the game is safe enough, and his desire to show off is strong enough, that he will eat the card.

He's basically saying to the ref, "Go ahead and card me, I got the goal and I don't care!" I would see no reason to let this challenge to my authority go by for free.

What if you let it go?
    -If the same player scores again, you're giving him two shirt removals for the price of one.
    -If the opposing team scores, and the scorer removes his jersey in celebration, and gets carded, he's going to be confused and frustrated, and rightly so. That team will be angry with you, and the other team (who got away with it) will be laughing at you - major credibility loss on both sides.

2. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    You bring up some good issues of game and player management that haven't received enough attention in this thread.

MassRef appears to be correct in pointing out that the letter of the law mandates a caution for shirt removal only in the case of a valid goal being scored, but there are other factors that should be considered in addition to the letter of the law.

3. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    What would you do if the player a great player scores a great goal and beats the keeper who left his feet to try and stop him, and then looks over at the downed keeper and tells just him but you happen to hear it? "That he doesn't belong on the same field as him".

4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR to me. YELLOW!

5. Chiller15J

Chiller15J New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Chicago Area
    Caution all the way!!

6. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    It was a real incident wish I could remember that players name. The official did not hear it. But the keeper told his coach. For most of the rest of the game he was slide tackled, most were legal but the body sometimes get the player on legal slide tackles.

I have seen that happen in the past. Usually the star player slows down and is not as dangerous after that.

But not this kid he kept comming maybe a bit of a wisequy that day, but he had a lot of heart.

7. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Yes, the opportunity cost of irrational exuberence is a yellow card.:D