CCS Field

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewzer1308, Jul 31, 2005.

1. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    Before the game I saw Garber come out and check the field along with the goal in the North End. When he started to walk towards the tunnel I saw that he was very mad at how the field looked. Then before the game started some of the brown spots on the field were spray painted green so it can blend in with the field.

2. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    Yeah, I noticed those at the Crew/Fulham match. They were even worse on Saturday.

3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must have a grub problem.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Correct.

Most fields are replaced every 5 years, but this field had done so well for 7 they left it.

I would guess that this off-season new turf will be brought in.

5. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Honestly I was surprised at the shape it was in. I've never seen it in that much disrepair, except maybe after the N'Suck concert. Matt Williams needs to get out there and do some major work.

6. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    There's a concert there in a couple weeks (Rascal Flat or something, been hearing about it on radio) so I would guess they'll wait until after that to do anything major.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, considering there was a certain match that was played in that stadium on February 28, that saw the field in the best shape possible, I'll cut the grounds crew a break on this one.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't I read something a couple years ago about how they were thinking about replacing it, but worried it wouldn't have enough time to set? I'm sure they haven't replaced the whole thing at once, but i'm sure they've replaced large chunks of it.

I can't remember her name, but I remember some Crew fan died and had her ashes spread in the area between the north goal and the stands. I remember talking about that and how if that grass was removed, then it would be the grass her ashes were sprinkled on.

Either way, the whole northwest corner of the field needs to be replaced.