CCR's "Fortunate Son" in jeans commercial...

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by 655321, Sep 8, 2002.

1. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Am I the only one that see's the irony in using this song in what is basically a pro-stars and stripes commercial??

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It makes me snort like Burl Ives every time I see it. But isn't it a car commercial?

3. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    No, I think it's for Lee jeans. It has a bunch of white guys playing football, fishing, and other "American" things. It plays the opening of the song, has the opening lines "Some were born to wave the flag, ooh the red, white, and blue..." the songs fades out after that, and then the commercial ends with a shot of a waving American flag.
    This song was written as an anti-Vietnam involvement statement, not to mention against blind patriotism. I just find it find it pretty ironic and humorous.

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Don't you know irony died, oh, about a year ago this week?

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    By the way, the company you want to write your protest song to is Wrangler, not Lee. Lee Dungarees advertising features that adorable Buddy Lee.

6. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yup, it's Wrangler. I quit buying their jeans, thanks to that commercial.

7. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took the improper use of a protest song to get you to not buy nut huggers?

This commercial isn´t nearly as bad as the Jag commercial "Featuring" London Calling by The Clash...

8. El Toro

El Toro New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Fountain & Fairfax
    Remember, both CCR and the Clash had the right to say "NO" to the use of their songs in both commercials.

If they are cool with it then what does it matter? My beef would be more with the band for selling out than the product for using it.

And Wranglers make the WORST jeans on the market...all stiff and scratchy.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing that commercial and nearly falling off the couch laughing. Then I thought to myself, these people must think we are stupid or something using that song for "American" blue jeans (whatever "American" jeans are.)

I probably wasn't even born when that song came out and I know it was a protest song.

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but beside the point in this case. The use of these songs in their respective commercial contexts was stupid and permission from the bands, however disappointing some might find it, doesn't change that.

11. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    True enough, but that's not really what I'm talking about. I'm discussing the context in which the song is used in. Fogerty probably gets a kick out of it everytime he sees it.

This wasn't started to get into a debate on "selling out" or allowing your music to be used for commercials. If there are two bands that have earned the right to do that, it would be the Clash and CCR.

12. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Fogerty's attitude may be different. They made a bunch of money and then lost it to a scam artist who talked them into investing in some tax-shelter scheme (in the Bahamas, I think).

I don't know if they all still hate each other, but they did for a long time, even the Fogerty brothers. So much for the non-materialist hippies of the Vietnam war era. (I'm one, too)

Grand Funk was another band from that era that got taken to the cleaners.

13. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

Its quite funny if you think about it.

14. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Stoli commercial with "Should I stay or Should I go?" is pretty good though. That almost makes sense whereas the Jag commercial doesn't.

15. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Using "Fortunate Son" in that Wrangler jeans commercial is ironic. I agree, the point of the song is really the exact opposite of the feeling or attitude the commercial is trying to convey.

I don't think it's funny, though. Most people who see that commercial won't understand or appreciate what the song is really about, and will think the song is about blind patriotism. At least that is what Wrangler is banking on.

Although the commercial uses the line "Some folks were born, made to wave the flag...", it doesn't use the line "it ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son". It really takes the words out of context, and tries to fool the consumer.

I do have a problem with John Fogarty or whoever sold the right to use the song to Wrangler, but I suppose that's for another thread.

16. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCR did not. I believe they got screwed out of the rights to their music many years ago.