PBP: CCLGroup3: Sounders @ Herediano (P/I/P)

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by bright, Sep 12, 2011.

1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who: CS Herediano v Seattle Sounders
    Where: Heredia, Costa Rica
    When: 7pm, Wednesday, 9/14/11
    Watch: Fox Soccer
    Listen: ?
    Internet: CONCACAF TV

This won't be an easy match. Herediano lost their first two group matches, so they will be desperate to win this one at home.

Leo Gonzalez played 9 years for them, so this will be a sort of homecoming for him.

Are they playing in Heredia's stadium or in the Costa Rican national stadium? Heredia's stadium supposedly only holds 5,000.

2. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to: http://goalwa.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/sounders-checking-in-with-sigi-schmid/

"We left [Erik] Friberg behind, we left Brad Evans behind because we want them to work their injuries and we left [Osvaldo] Alonso behind, but we’re confident with the rest of the group we have."

"Jhon [Kennedy Hurtado] only played 30 minutes the other day so we expect him to be able to play 90 minutes on Wednesday because he won’t play on Saturday whereas if he would have played the whole 90 minutes on Saturday he’s a guy who might not have played in our game on Wednesday and now he’s certainly going to be on the field."

This is my guess at our 18:

Keller
    Ford

Riley
    Gonzalez
    Ianni
    Hurtado
    Parke
    Scott

Rosales
    Fernandez
    Carrasco
    Neagle

Montero
    Fucito
    Levesque
    Jaqua
    Noonan
    Ochoa

I think Tyson Wahl, David Estrada, and Taylor Graham will be left off. Michael Tetteh or Amadou Sanyang might crack the 18, though.

3. PHootieD

PHootieD New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With no Evans, Alonso, Friberg or Seamon should we expect Flaco to play CM next to Carrasco? I wouldn't mind seeing what Ochoa can do in this match, even off the bench for 30 minutes

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for starting the thread, bright. :)

I also don't think Riley is on the trip. He posted on Twitter yesterday that he just finished his move to Greenlake.. That would seem to imply he's in Seattle.

So, wild guess on the line-up is:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Fucito, Montero, Neagle, Fernandez, Carrasco, Rosales, Gonzalez, Hurtado, Ianni, Scott, Keller/Ford[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

With Boss going down for the season, I'm not sure what Sigi has up his sleeves at GK. Do you throw Keller out there, or give Ford a go and see if you can pull out a draw.

5. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet we see as many regular starters rested as possible. So here is my guess at a starting line-up:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Ochoa, Jaqua, Neagle, Noonan, Carrasco, Levesque, Gonzalez, Hurtado, Ianni, Scott, Ford[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Zach Scott or Pat Noonan gets the captain's arm band.

6. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I wouldn't be surprised to see almost exactly that line-up... as the starter at every position in the back 9 is on yellow. Better to have them suspended for Communicaciones away than Herediano at home.

Ochoa though-- I doubt it unless he got back in shape REAAALLLY fast. Maybe a sub? Either Montero or Fucito starts instead.

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herediano's playing all their CCL games in the Estadio Nacional in San Jose (in la Sabana). And they recently promoted Jafet Soto as their new coach - he led them to a 4-0 domination of Alajuelense over the weekend.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kFNA6PFAJg"]heredia 4 vs liga 0 www.mariosegura.com - YouTube[/ame]

But because of the fracas at the end, their Brazilian forward Jorge Barbosa got hit with a 13-game suspension, so he'll be reserved for CCL play for the next couple of months.

8. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Wow, how many players got suspensions because of that game? There were like 3 players all punching and kicking at the same guy.

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bright almost nails the lineup.[LINEUP-4-4-2]Jaqua, Montero, Neagle, Fernandez, Carrasco, Levesque, Gonzalez, Hurtado, Ianni, Scott, Keller[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

10. RHMCW

RHMCW Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Lucky, I almost had to say something nice about jaqua.

11. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And seattle gets called for another PK on a dive.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for the human bowling ball?

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller has had a serious case of the dropsies...

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nooooonan for Jaqua.

15. John Mercado

John Mercado Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    1. Yes Bright did 100 on precent his prediction ...and I was worried about this line up when he first posted, but they out played Herediano.:) This team does seem deep at times like this.

16. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa. I think Yoshou hitnopyzed you. :) Parke, Rosales, and Ochoa did not make the 18. Montero, Fernandez, and Keller started instead of Ochoa, Noonan, and Ford. :)

Anyways, how about the performance from Montero? Two goals (I think Levesque's shot was going wide), and he played very tough.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREvR3eDhAg&fmt=18"]Freddy Fresh - The Real Pro - YouTube[/ame]

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about the misinformation for the stadium...looks like Herediano got their lighting fixed in order to finally have "home" games at home. Surprising that there were fewer people at this game than the one against Alpha United at the Estadio Nacional, though. :confused:

18. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. They didn't play in Heredia nor Estadio Nacional, though. The game ended up being at Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto in Alajuela.

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction: I just saw the preview video, and the teams played in the Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto Scotiabank in Alajuela, which explains the lack of Heredianos in the stands.

Btw, I'm really impressed: the Sounders clearly did their homework on Herediano (especially Carrasco).

20. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With LA losing to Morelia yesterday and now in a two-way tie (possibly three-way tie depending on tomorrow's result) in their CCL group, and having to travel away next week to Alajuelense ... might we see them look past Vancouver at home this weekend and give up three points in the league race?

21. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Bruce doesn't give a shit about any cups besides the MLS Cup.

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it Bruce, or his players? Bruce generally puts out the players one would expect for them to do well, it's just the players don't play like they give a crap. Heck, the Galaxy had mostly starters against Morelia on Tuesday and Puerto Rico last year and they still laid an egg.

All of that being said, you're right, LA is not going to phone it in against Vancouver because they might get bounced from CCL. They'll phone in because Vancouver sucks and they are looking past them and towards the next week's MLS game.

23. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure but I hope not. I think we have the depth to keep pressure on LA for the SS and we may even be able to rest some guys against a weak VAN team and still win.

Realistically, the SS may be out of reach after the RSL loss but I can always dream. If we don't get the SS, as much as I hate the playoffs and playoff system, I'll have to start learning more about them to understand where our playoff prospects are best relative to our final position in the western table so we can angle for that trophy. What's the best thread for that discussion?

Edit: I see from the other posts that bright was suggesting the possibility of LA (not seattle) fielding scrubs v. VAN. I would agree w/ Youshou that it doesn't matter who LA puts on the field v. VAN. LA should win. Although I'm hoping for an upset :)

24. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Unless it's all talk for Donovan, I don't see him not to take this competition seriously.

In the last game, they thrashed Vancouver even without Beckham and Keane. I bet they could do it again, but maybe this time also without Donovan.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan talked big about USOC this year and the team proceeded to phone it in for the first 20-30 minutes at which point they found themselves in a 2 goal hole...

They also bent over and took it up the poop shooter against Portland. LA can look past a team just as easily as any other team, but either way, LA is most likely running out their A-squad against Vancouver, they aren't going to be resting anyone just because they have a CCL game next week that they "must win".