CCC: KC v. Morelia (R)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by GPK, Aug 7, 2002.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forget the 1998 CONCACAF Cup Winners Cup. The Burn lost 4-1 to Necaxa and 2-1 to Cruz Azul, both at the Cotton Bowl. The tournament was abandoned without a winner and hasn't been played since.

No MLS team has managed even a draw in a competitive match in Mexico, unless you count the Metros' forfeit win over Chivas last year.

2. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what Noah said, too.

Oh, and wutang, sorry about the typo comment. Easy to over do it when your angry from reading the rest of the post. Funny thing, the typo was the most correct part of your post.

3. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Well not to excuse Preki's alleged approach to the game, but if he indeed did say that nobody follows these matches he is practically correct, and while not an excuse it raises the issue of just how serious these tourneys will ever be taken while league play is still in full swing.

Obviously a handful of us on these boards care and are aware of the results in these tourneys, but from my perspective the tournaments outside of league play in MLS seem to take place in a vaccum
    of interest that often leads to a semi-serious approach to the tournaments by many teams. On top of that this particular tournament was taking place during league play and while the US Open Cup was being played. If a team has qualified for a tourney it would seem natural that they would want to do their best to advance, but the relatively low key aspect of these tournaments begs the question of which are valued highly and which are not. The dilemma thus presented to MLS teams is where to focus your efforts. Do you go all out in a game in the US Open Cup or these international tournies when you are still trying to earn points in the league or have players who need rest to heal minor injuries? Do you approach the Confed Cup with less priority than say the US Open Cup?

It seems that only history and drama will ever lend more credibility to these tourneys and hopefully garner more respect for who does what in each. As an example, I watched the LA v San Jose US Open Cup match last night precisely because after last year it had the makings of a grudge match. Both teams appeared to take it seriously, leaving starters in for an extended match. Hopefully the embarassment that KC suffered last night will create a something-to-prove attitude amongst MLS squads who get a chance to play in the Confed Cups of the future, and ideally our neighbors to the south will approach it with the same intensity.

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    KC is the hottest MLS team over the last 6 games. Only Chicago has as many points and they tied last time out. KC won last time out. The only KC loss was to road-warrior (6-4 on road) Metrostars at a point in the schedule where KC had been playing every third day for a month and traveling to boot. I'm not trying to be a homer, just pointing out the soccer isn't meant to be played ever third day. KC will have a difficult time hanging onto the "hottest" title due to injuries and two roadies this week in places they normally come up empty, DC and Chicago.

5. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX

Apology accepted, if not left-handed. KC still sucks!

And to think, I thought the manufactured rivalries wouldn't work in the MLS.

6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preki has entered the "adult diapers" phase of his career. His services are no longer needed. Any resemblance to molasses is purely coincidental.

Klein got 6 caps under BA. His last 2 caps were not very good, and he really only impressed in 1 game, @Barbados.

Mulrooney got 4 caps under BA, and played better in them.

Stewart and Jones are going to be phased out over the next 4 years.

7. Joe Hadar

Joe Hadar New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Midwest
    When is the return leg in KC ?

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: CCC: KC v. Morelia (R)

Fixed your post.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    August 28th.
    on the 24th the Wizards are in Milwaukee for the US Open cup.
    on the 26th the Wizards are in Rochester for the "please let us have Onandi Lowe in exchange for a (not so) friendly" game
    I'm sure they also have an MLS game on the 31st.

They could easily mail in the return leg at this point, depending on the MLS playoff race.

10. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Sounds about right. Pretty much on par with the first leg.

11. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Man, if you ever want to get invited to the Copa Libertadores or some other tournament like that you just have to learn to play on the road.

There was some other poster who said that he hated the home/home playoff type games. Well, that's how football is played. What, you want all games played at your home?, if that's the case stick to your pointy/shoulderpad/helmetball and leave football to real football lovers.

If you can't handle Morelia, I wouldn't like to see you facing the heights of Quito and La Paz, stadiums like Maracana and Morumbi, or fans like Boca's and Olimpia's.

12. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

I'd feel embarassed about that except for the fact that no match in Mexico has ever been played under even the most remote competitively fair circumstances.

If MFL could play one straight up then there wouldn't be a question. All the puffy chests say MFL is that much better than MLS, fine...then there should be no need for legal gamesmanship; much less the illegal stuff MLS teams encounter as a matter of course.

13. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: CCC: KC v. Morelia (R)

:rolleyes:

14. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Ask and ye shall receive.. :p

"MLS has proven to be the most dominant professional league in the region, winning two of the last three FC Champions Cups," Garber said.

"D.C. United won in 1998, beating Mexico's Toluca 1-0 in the final. And in January 2001, the Los Angeles Galaxy beat Olimpia of Honduras 3-2 to earn a trip to the FIFA Club World Championship, which would have been the league's highest-profile competition to date with Real Madrid among the opponents. But that tournament was canceled.."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/us/news/2002/08/08/us_glance/

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Translation: I went to Sams-Army and noticed that Klein wasn't rated too highly his last two games, but I didn't bother to actually check to see if he played more than 10 minutes in the last game. I, like most Big Soccer posters, forget that players who play under 30 minutes usually get poor ratings if they don't score a goal, especially if the team loses. Or maybe I'm one of those morons who gives the poor ratings, I can't recall.