CBU Memphis Women's Team [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by fanmaster, Aug 31, 2002.

1. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    http://www.gobucsgo.com/sports/wsoccer/press/02-03/aug30.html

CBU continues dominating Division II, following two 7 - 0 wins in exhibition, they beat Millsaps college last night 21 - 0. Last years leading scorer Missy Gregg (73 goals in 22 games) had 6 goals, last years 2nd leading scorer and NCAA II assists leader Magsy Saurin (Irish National Team) had 2 goals and 4 assists.

2. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh my gosh i didn't realize Saurin played there WOW i may have to drag my butt up there. i'll come up for a game a visit the family. :D

3. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    Make sure and bring Nicky Thrasher with you, or at least ask her what she is up to these days . . ..

4. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think she is back in texas but i'll see. Did you watch Thrash when she was playing for memphis?
    dang i was sooo happy when i saw her back here in Atlanta. I might be able to drag Melanie up there though. I'll ask!

5. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    Watch Nicky? Yep, I do the www.memphismercury.com website. I am trying to keep up with all the Mercury players from 2002 and Nicky is one of the 'missing' ones, so it would be great to learn what she is doing and maybe hear from her. I intend on keeping the site current all year so any information would be great! How about Cindy (or ARE you Cindy by chance?)

6. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no i'm not Cindy. I'm a friend of Melanie's and Nicky's. I watched Mel at IC and both of them at A&M. I'll try to get in touch with Thrash and see. I don't know about Cindy. i don't talk to her as often as Mel and Thrash. Mainly b/c of the whole Aggie thing. thanks for posting the Memphis website I'll have to check it out.

7. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    Thanks for the update. We are also building a website for Cindy's old High School, it will be at www.ladyreddevilssoccer.com when we get it finished (maybe this week). We were trying to get ahold of Cindy to have her put some words of encouragement or an opening or something on it. Also there is a banquet and we were going to try to ask her if she would speak there.

8. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is CBU fields and the mercury fields in relationship to IC or to Downtown?

9. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    I don't know where IC is, but the Mercury play at Mike Rose Soccer Complex (the main road there is named after Cindy), you can get a map at www.mikerosesoccercomplex.com - CBU plays at their campus, which is at the corner of Central and Hollywood or there abouts. Across from the fairgrounds.

10. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh ok cool i know where those are. the site looks great. lost of photos awesome.

11. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question???

What were the Lady Bucs doing playing a Division III team that had a 2-17 record last year and ended up rated 309th out of 366 in that division? Do goals scored against a team from a lower division count towards any Division II records?

12. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Re: Question???

They sure do.

13. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    It would be interesting to go back to last year and see what division schools CBU played when Gregg set all the records. I may make a project of that this week.

14. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    And if they had moved down to Division 3, they'd have had more yet!

15. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    I think Missy and Magsy are outstanding players but it is hard to get a test for them at CBU, Missy was at Dayton before that, I believe it is division I? I've heard they only have about two real teams to play against this year, it will be interesting to see how they do then. It will be a shame when Missy does not get the attention she might deserve when the WUSA is looking around. With numbers like hers I am sure she will still get the looks but it will be harder to take her serious for alot of people.

16. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it does help a bit for the both of them that they play in the W-league. Magsy is even more lucky playing for Ireland. well kinda i guess uh yea sure!

17. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    Actually it was a huge help playing in the W and doing good. It is really a shame they do not play for a team that gets good national exposure though. I am sure they can tear through nearly anybody in the NCAA, just they don't get the chance.

18. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    If she was going to get attention, she'd have gotten it by now. Given the magnitude of her numbers, I did some checking around. She also set the Ohio High School all time scoring record when she moved from a large Division 1 state powerhouse to a much smaller Division 2 high school. Seems like it's not about the game, but the goals.
    In any event, pounding teams well below your level of capability is not what the collegiate game is supposed to be about. Successful players (at least those who want to play professionally) are those who consistently want to stretch their capability, not live well within their comfort zone.

19. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CBU might get a test from a third team, Tusculum College. Especially since the Buccaneers might be overlooking them because they play Northern Kentucky the day after that. The Pioneers are athletic and their coach has a history of good results against teams that are considered to be 'better'.

20. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Re: Eckerd game [R]

Anyone know if this is worth anything in the context of either WUSA or the WNT?

22. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    The fact is they play easy teams, but a year ago in the W-League Missy also tore them up almost scoring at will. Regardless of all this she is very talented, so is Magsy Saurin (she had 2 goals and led the NCAA II in assists and 2nd in scoring last year if memory serves me correctly). Gregg is definitely WUSA material and have no clue why she is not on WNT unless it is attitude or ego or laziness or something. I know that some people don't take her seriously since she chose to move from a division I to a division II school.

23. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I don't know about the woman's sport, but in the men's it would be a sure sign that you weren't very serious about competition.

24. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    I had to laugh about that one, it is time someone woke them up from the dream. Now it will be curious whether they start to crumble or turn it on and start destroying people. I don't know much about the teams on their schedule, does anyone know if they have any other tough teams left?