Cause I'm freeeee. Freeeee falling. New York Rangers 2008-2009 thread.

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by otterulz, Feb 16, 2009.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazingly there was no 2008-2009 thread for the Rangers (unless I just completely missed it). I thought after their fast start, I'd not post at all as a superstition. Ironically, there was no thread to post in anyway so whatever.

Tom Renney needs to go, but more importantly, Glen Sather needs to go. Now, I know this will never happen because Little Jimmy Dolan has no clue how to run a hockey franchise. Hell, he can barely run the Knicks, let alone Cablevision. The poor guy has too much on his plate! Unfortunately, he's one of those guys where an impressive resumé and brand name means more to him than actual results so he'll leave it in Slats' hands to run something he knows very little about.

Slats has reverted to pre-lockout form. Spend lots of money on guys past their prime. Renney has lost control of this team. And his stubborn ways of putting out the same damn PP unit hasn't helped one bit. Why not shake things up a bit and at least fire either Perry Pearn or Mike Pelino? Or both? Baseball teams seem to fire coaches all the time before they get to the manager. Why not hockey teams?

This team is full of overpaid, useless lumps. I was wary of the Gomez and Drury contracts and now look. Naslund has been what was expected. Kalinin and Redden have been non-existent. I mean, what the hell is going on?

At this point, I don't even care about Avery. I don't think that him coming back as a Ranger will provide the spark they sorely need.

Just fire Renney and Slats and let's start all over. PLEASE!!!!!

2. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't know what's wrong with the Rangers...earlier this season they were considered Cup contenders...but, they've slumped as of late. I think they've lost 8 out of 9. Avery is not the answer bc he wont be the same player as he knows he cant fk up again.

They will still make the playoffs, but no one expects miracles this year. At least they aren't as bad as the Leafs :( ...so be positive.

3. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a lot of ways, the Rangers have made terrible acquasitions in that of Scottie Gomez; a player who is and will be highly overrated without a support staff around him. Add to it the simple fact the power play is abissmal and that there is no blue line leadership; ala Nigel Dawes and you get the Rangers. Thank god the East sucks this year otherwise you'd be way out of the playoff race.

As NHL Live said the otherday, the beginning part of the year was marked with close wins and a foreshadowing of the closeness with two 1 goal wins over the Tampa Bay Lightning.

By the way, Lundqvist is way overrated, I'd take a Clemensen and a Mason over him.

4. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a good coach but I think better fit for a young team. Since Slats would never be fired by Dolan (idiot), Renney was the next logical person to go. Unfortunately, it's a move that had to happen.

I hope they get Tortorella. I always found it funny that after the Rangers fired him, he goes off to win a Cup. I think his no nonsense attitude is what this team needs. A stark contrast from the friendly Renney. But let's at least get a coach that's willing to mix up the PP units since they clearly don't seem to work.

5. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with this many vetrans, Glen Hanlon would fit well.

6. Clipse

Clipse New Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Toronto
    Being a Devils fan I'm laughing hysterically at what the Rangers have done this season.

They'd be out of a playoff spot if it wasn't for shootouts, too bad they don't have em in the playoffs. Think you guys have 9 wins from shootouts.

Gomez and Drury are 2nd line players expected AND paid as 1st liners, Redden.. Who didn't see that coming, oh wait Sather didn't.

You're offense is an abomination, your defense is mediocre, your powerplay is terrible and your penalty kill has been crap as of late. What does being average or worse in all 3 facets of the game lead to? Early tee times!

It'll make my year to see the Penguins AND the Rangers miss the playoffs.

Devils 09' Champs.

7. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to respect the Devils organization. What Lou Lamariello has done with no money and a bunch of nobody's is amazing. Unfortunately, nobody cares. I think if Devils games were on TV, or at least radio, you'd pick up a few fans.

Oh, wait, what's that? They are? Well ******** me. I'll be damned.

8. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Tortz males his debut tonight against the Leafs...i expect a revitalized NYR team.

9. Clipse

Clipse New Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Toronto
    You guys can drown in sorrow and disappointment at your sold out arena, it'll be more comforting that way. :D

10. Clipse

Clipse New Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Toronto
    Torty for Jack Adams!