Cauldron Meeting

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I thought this was the big lesson from the England game in Soldier Field. The England fans, not used to tailgating, went into the stadium early - and while there - covered up every bit of the stadium, including in front of Sam's Army, with St Georges Crosses. The Americans, who came in late, had nowhere to hang any banners.

First come - first served.

2. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My duaghter, of this poor displaced Missourian, is going to school at MU, living in the states for the first time in 20 years. The American culture adiction she has taken up to best is tailgating. She's not a big sports fan, but she loves tailgating! If the poor Europeans only knew what they are missing. :(

3. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Ben's the diplomat

Sockpuppet, Sok'-puh-pet n 1. Alias used by people who lack the intestinal fortitude to be responsible for thier own opinions. :rolleyes:

Anyway...I wasn't clear. My mistake.

Two things: First, I meant exactly the family and other autograph hounds as the target. Mainly it's the poor look of the section on camera, etc. The goal scorer isn't jumping into a section of grey T-shirts and dirty Nebraska hats for example... Generally those good folks are anything but blue clad.

Second, atmosphere is handled by everyone at their own efforts to the best of everyone's ability. It isn't being ignored nor am I suggesting doing so. Atmosphere simply doesn't need a yet another rehash in seting where time and structure are limited. If it does, you say, "These are the colors. They are blue and white, widely available, bring them, wear them proudly, and thank you." and move on.

Thank you to everyone who didn't immediately jump to the worst conclusion.

4. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I was asked to post this by Sam, who does not currently have internet access. I couldn't figure out what he was talking about, but I think I just missed this line as I tend to glaze over most of your tirades. Closing the section is a terrible idea.

As for Dave's comments about HASF:

1. Assuming the appreciation is for me, I accept it, with reservations...it isn't uniquely my work, and it isn't done yet.

2. It shouldn't be for me. If the positive effects of HASF can be put on one person, it's Greg Cotton, not me. It's just my name on the releases.

3. It's insulting to everyone else that has worked hard on HASF projects to characterize it as such. I'm sure that Andrea Hanson, Jeff Szajnuk, George Hanson, John Roushkolb, Mike Rodriguez, Chad Reynolds, Char Keith, etc. don't appreciate it.

It's just a bit rich to hear it coming from someone who has either been to one or zero HASF meetings (memory failing me).

I stopped talking about sale-related business at games at the request of others, so maybe you didn't have enough opportunity to weigh in then. If you have suggestions for the organization, feel free to come to any of our meetings. You might like it - or know what's going on with it.

5. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jeff - I really think he was just making a generic statement... Meaning that it, the cauldron, should be organized. And not part of HASF. That's all :) That's how I took it when I first read it and still how I take it.

6. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Those were Sam's copy and pasted words, not mine - but I read it the same way once I saw it. "One guy and a thread" sure seems to demean the work that has been done to this point. I agree that the Cauldron should be more organized, but HASF shouldn't be used as anything but a positive example for what KC soccer fans can do if they organize.

7. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    I've had a few thoughts regarding this post. First, a question:
    In the Kansas City soccer community, what is the appropriate relationship between the Crusaders, HASF, and the Cauldron?

Now, the thoughts, in no particular order, and expressing my feelings, not facts or directions:
    -I feel HASF has clearly stated its goals, and those goals point to it as the focusing agent of keeping the Wizards in Kansas City. If that's an effort an individual is called to support outside of Cauldron activities, then that individual needs to be involved with HASF. The list of individuals on this list is long - Chris, Ock, Sam, Jeff, all the men named George, Andrea, Chad, etc.
    -As such, I feel it is necessary for the Cauldron to be separate from HASF, but with a free intermingling of the members of each organization. HASF's goal, outside of keeping our team in Kansas City, is to be an impartial advocate and resource for the entire soccer community in the region.
    -I believe in open access to the section, but it begs a question ... is there a need for different types of supporter's sections? As much as most posters (posers?) here want to bag on the suburban soccer mom/dad crowd, I believe outreach be done to their families to increase their understanding of the game, support/enthusiasm at the game, improve their game-day experience, and move the entire fan base towards something that could be incredible. The same can be taken for the Hispanic community and the high school community.
    -I add the high school community for this reason: my feeling as a volunteer youth worker in other parts of my life, is that parents and the team will be much more willing to support the organization of events for this age group where structure and accountability reduce the chances that any improprieties - i.e. under-age drinking, disorderly conduct - will occur.
    -I also believe that the activities all the dedicated fans of the team feel are necessary will not be driven or undertaken by the team's front office or the league.
    -This to me is an important distinction, and it is my feeling: if you care about soccer in Kansas City, the Cauldron is one of many things you should support or be involved in. If you only care about the Wizards, the Cauldron is the only thing you should be involved in.

Which brings me back to the original question in a different wording and takes it further: What are the appropriate goals for each group, and how are the groups interrelated? Are there some matters where one group should lead and for which the other groups should only provide advice or opinion? What is the most productive relationship between the Cauldron, the Crusaders, and HASF?

8. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    The question you pose is a very difficult one to answer, mostly because a lot of the HASF members stand in the Cauldron. I am not sure where the Crusaders fall into this discussion, but since you didn't mention them much, neither will I.
    HASF is exactly what you described. An organization to spread the word and garner support for soccer in our area. Their main goal being to do whatever they can to keep the Wizards in KC. They've done and continue to do a great job, and it is no doubt that the efforts they put forth have increased the chances that the Wizards will remain in KC for years to come.
    The Cauldron is a supporter's group. By definition we are there to support the team on and off the field. By support, I see it as separate from any efforts to save the team. Of course there will be intermingling of members, but I agree that they should be separate from one another. But it can't be denied that with so many members of HASF being Cauldronites that the gatherings for support sometimes cross over and can seem like HASF events or at least become a forum for HASF discussions. But IMO efforts like making flags, creating songs/chants, organizing road trips, advertising the section and supporting the team visibly at local events are something to be done as "The Cauldron" when we get together, and not as HASF. The same for road trips. Soccer fans in KC went a long way in the American soccer community in 2005 during our road trips. US Mens fans in Columbus and then the travelling Cauldron in Dallas.

One other statement that you made that caught my attention was "If you only care about the Wizards, the Cauldron is the only thing you should be involved in." Yes people should be involved in the Cauldron, but it is not for all fans. I know many great Wizards fans that aren't in the Cauldron. You have to like that type of atmosphere, and one fault of many in our section is that they feel that everyone at the game should support like we do. I'm not saying that people should not aspire to make our section bigger and louder, but we need to realize that not everyone is at the game to expend energy like we do and choose to support the team in a different way. Whether that makes us or them better fans is up for debate, but they still are fans and the disprespect we have shown some of them (myself included) over the years isn't right. We're criticizing them for the way they choose to support, but we get equally offended if they criticize our way of supporting. This attitude has also led to the view that we are an "elitist" group. For true growth, our section must come across as the exact opposite of elitist. We must come across as open, welcoming and friendly. The work that the Cauldron needs to now do, with at least one more year, is to seek out those that would enjoy the atmosphere that we have provided and get them to join us. One very important thing for some of the newer Cauldronites to do it embrace the next wave of people to the section, as you were welcomed over the last couple of years. Yes there are improvements that can be made to our section, but don't forget how we got where we are today. Many of you wouldn't be in the section if it weren't for the open seating, members opening up to new people, tailgates, road trips, etc. These efforts are how we attract new people, and being personable fans out to talk with new faces and make them feel welcome (NOT excluded) is the most important thing we can do.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of that paragraph was well said Ben, I just wanted to focus on this.

I know that my dad is a great Wizards fan, he loves going to the games and watching. He stood in the Cauldron with me for a game, I think he enjoyed it, but it is not his thing.

He's the same way at soccer games for me or my brothers through the years. He likes to either sit or stand and watch the game, see how it develops and how things work. That's why I love where he has his season tickets. They are at midfield, about halfway up, giving a great view of the entire field. Until I found myself in the Cauldron I would go and watch the game develop. There are other Wizards fans that are great fans that are just like that, to classify the great Wizards fans as only those that stand in the Cauldron is completely wrong. the

10. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, now that I'm home, I see that I might have taken his comment in the wrong way, for which I apologize. It applies much more to, say, Ben's road trip efforts, which are very much the product of one person's *very* appreciated effort and a given BS thread.

11. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll tackle these two.

As to the first, I'm very inclined to agree with those who would wish to keep it as-is. We tried a lot of different ways to set up a section like this, and this one works better than any other we tried by a factor of 10.

Tailgates need to make a comeback. And, frankly, it isn't going to be me. The nature of my new job means that I might not make more than 5 games this season. I agree...this is the topic of the evening that will bear the most fruit. Once the full schedule is released, road trip discussions should begin immediately.

Not that I want to start this debate now, but there will come a day when we are no longer in Arrowhead Stadium, but in our own facility, or in a facility other than Arrowhead where we won't have the convenient section we have now. Then, we'll have to decide where to locate. And won't that be fun?

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it means we'll have our own stadium, or be on our way to our own stadium, and that the Wizards will be staying in KC for the long tern, then yes it will be fun to find a new place to congregate before games. :D

13. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no to mention finding our own section in the new stadium and figure out how to make that stadium home. i look forward to making a new section the cauldron.

14. KCWizMystic4Life

KCWizMystic4Life New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    I highly encourage allowing fresh faces to sit with us, thats how I was introduced and I know many at my high school (Aquinas) that appreciate soccer and the Wizards and would love to join in the festivities. As to those who sit up front and dont participate and are only there for autographs, the simplest way to fix this would come in earlier, that stratagy has worked fine for me and should work.

15. KCWizMystic4Life

Dec 26, 2005
    If someone could e-mail me the chants, I would be most appreciative!

16. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I believe this is generally accepted by the majority. I don't see this as an issue.
    Agree 100%. And despite Stu's best efforts to make us all bring something, when we do that it still doesn't get the involvement that the "$5 all you can eat" tailgate got. When the tailgate is BYOF/B less people get involved. Someone, or some group, is going to have to step up and take the responsibility on this one (and yes, it's a financial investment as well)
    Sheesh. Quitter. ;)
    Don't you worry about that one. It'll be shoved down your throats so much you'll get sick of hearing me bug you to go on trips. :D

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know about everyone else, but I look forward to it. :D

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    George, you have these on a site somewhere correct?

19. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    You did, but no need to appologize. The larger topic had nothing to do with any individual or anyone outside of the Cauldron. The topic suggestion was a decision of what is the proper connection to any other group, regardless of group.

I've seen little of HASF. I was happy to win FIFA '05 at an event local to me. I do wonder why multiple vollunteers see slights in nothing comments. True vollunteer work isn't supposed to necessarilly be seen, understood, or applauded by those disconnected.

20. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    If you are going to go through the bother of harumphing from on high then you might consider at least getting the quote right.
    In the future, If I comment, I'll mention HASF by name.

21. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I was paraphrasing the way I read it obviously, but apologize if I misread your intention. Where exactly is up high here? Lee's Summit probably at a slightly higher elevation than Blue Springs, but I posted that from Overland Park, so no worries about my altitude. :rolleyes:

22. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted them on a blog I intended as temporary... then I wrote some other stuff there too... anyway, here's the direct link to where I put the chants.
    Eventually we'll have the cauldron site up and running.

http://georgeshook.blogspot.com/2005/08/new-chants-1.html

Note: These haven't been changed/udpated since posted. And we don't even use all of them. For example, Khari and Deigo are gone... A lot of these I pulled from English team chants. Some of them we never ever used.... but feel free to ask which ones.

23. kcwizards888

kcwizards888 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Liberty
    good news - season ticket renewal for christmas. I guess santa is a wizards fan. If only he could hold a SSS in his sack of toys.

24. Pat Ervin

Pat Ervin New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    KANSAS CITY
    I am "ditto" on that....I think I'm ready for my first, and more committed participation...

Big Pat

25. KCWizMystic4Life

Dec 26, 2005
    I could use a scarf, how much, where and when.