Catalan National Side

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by GoHawks4, Nov 1, 2003.

1. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Is there handy record of (unofficial) games played by the Catalonian side?

I found records for the Basques playing 15 games since 1979. They've had matches with some quality teams: Bulgaria, Ireland, Yugoslavia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Nigeria...

Is there a good site for these stats?

2. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
  3. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't gotten any from you Amigo.

4. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you speak Catalan? If you do, could you please send me a Private Message? I need just a wee bit of help with something. :)

5. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Catalan National Side

You walked in the room with you head up your a$$, that’s why I didn’t welcome you newbie boy.

Man! I am tired of giving you lessons in life but here goes another one, Denial.
    Denial is the stage that you are in right now; you have passed the truth and the pain that comes with it, it will get better soon.

Haa Haa Haa!! Grumpy!!!
    Hardly, am actually laughing my ass of at you brainless post and there is no way am giving you any more lessons in life.
    And you said that am giving miss information! When did I give ANY information?? I just stated my opinion that’s all, you got pi$$ed off and started throwing insults!
    Again grow up!
    Listen to other people’s opinions and move on with your life + am getting tired righting these posts on my Pocket Pc!! (Damn the Pocket Pc’s and the lack of keyboards for them!)

ohh, and by the way, welcome to the boards!

6. bettendor

bettendor New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Iowa
    Re: Re: Catalan National Side

I stand corrected. As an example of the Catalan team playing, according to the Catalan football federation website, they will play Ecuador on December 28 at the Camp Nou in Barcelona. I figure they must be something if they can get that size of stadium.

7. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Catalan National Side

This is your room? You don't seem to care for Catalunya. I would bet that this isn't your room. Just a guess though or you could say its an opinion.

Thanks. Are you going to explain what you actually meant about daydreaming catalans loosing World Cups? Did you mean "exactly" or did you have your head in the toilet when you said it.

GoHawks4;

Catalan is my fith language, I have basic speaking command, while reading is pretty good, but I am afraid writing is my worst. I will PM you.

8. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's something very minor. I haven't gotten a PM yet if you sent it.

9. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Catalan National Side

See!!! I never said it was MY room! There you go again making up things!

Anyway, I stated my opinion and I will say it again that is SOME Catalonian player’s don’t give %100 when playing for Spain; Pep Guardiola is one that comes to mind when talking about this issue.

I can understand why you are pissed off now that I think about it, you see that I am a Real Madrid fan and you think to your self “this bastard can’t come to this board and disrespect Barca!!” But if you know me you will know that I put the National Team first before RM and you will know that I am very critical of Real Madrid and don’t approve of half of what’s happening over there, that’s why a lot of RM supporters don’t like me at the RM forums.

I hate people that follow their team blindly and think that what ever their team does it must be good and right, this is a soccer team and not a POP band like in’sync!!

And unlike half of you I support Spanish soccer FIRST and for most. Example, if Barca is playing against a non Spanish team I will support them %100 like they were my own!

And please, now that I have expressed my opinion for the 4th time just take it or leave it and move on because am tired of this subject.

Thank you

10. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Catalan National Side

I've witnessed your discussions before and believe me, you have a LOT of respect in this board for all those opinions, I myself have been rooting against my beloved blaugrana when LvG was in charge and therefore I understand your point of view.

11. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Catalan National Side

Josep Guardiola never dissappointed the Spanish NT. Go and take a look at all the games he played and honestly say that he did not give 100%.

How do you mean? The way you are being blind about the NT? Just go back to the last three WC and tell me that the team lost becuase of daydreaming. (Well maybe Zubi was daydreaming in France a bit, but imo, he was just past his time)

Grumpy people ussually tire easy. The subject, may I remind you, was trying to find information on a Catalan team, I think that I did that, you turned into whatever makes you tired.

12. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I think he is refering to the comments Guardiola has said in the past. However, like you, I have always seen Guardiola give 100% when playing for the NT. I think the fractional issue regarding the NT is pure BS. There has been several factors for us not winning much and that is way down the list. Bad luck has been a part of it and another is the simple fact that perhaps we've never had as good a team as people thought we did. I'm of that opinion. Also mental strength is not among the Spanish players attributes (certainly not like the Germans in anycase).

13. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Ok, thank god somebody knows what I am talking about even though he doesn’t agree with me.
    Here is what I think what he said was stupid:-
    Imagine this, let’s say your girlfriend says I really love you and I will put in %100 in this relationship BUT if my ex-boyfriend ever comes back from lets say from the war I will leave you for him!!!!

And trust me everybody appreciated what Guardiola did for the NT but a lot of people lost respect for him because of what he said.

Peace

14. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    Loosing respect for a player is fine, but saying that the reason Spain will never win a WC because they have daydreaming catalans is absurd. And besides Pep, name another catalan footballer that mentioned the issue?

You go on believing what you will. I don't see anything wrong with Catalunya having their own "seleccion" This has never been and will never be the reason why they have not won. Not even close.

Their best chance in recent years was USA 94 and Japan Korea 02 and in those instances separatism never was a factor.

As for the rest, the Spanish teams were not that good.

Again, the first post was asking for information on the team, you were the one that started all this crap.

Hey Juanele, here is to hoping for a big game from Reyes!!!!

15. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal

yeessssss!!!!

16. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    I wanted a big game from Reyes but never did I think that I would watch a memorable performance. He was INCREDIBLE

17. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    It was a rather nice performance :D

Too bad he didn't get a goal though, he deserved one. Reyes also had a big game against Barcelona earlier this season. I'm really surprised that a big team hasn't taken an interest in him (other than Arsenal).

18. Jeffrey S

Jeffrey S New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Barcelona
    I have seen the Catalan side play a few games, vs. Yugoslavia, Nigeria, Lithuania, China, and Brazil. I also think I saw Bulgaria, I seem to remember seeing Penev in the Olympic Stadium. The only game I missed was last year's Xmas match vs. Chile I think it was. Of all these they only lost to Brazil.

The team has been quite good in most matches. The midfield is strong and technical, the defense tends to be a bit inexperienced, goalkeeping is good. Striking a bit thin, often goals come from the midfield. Now though Luque at Depor plus Tamudo healthy would be a fine striking combo. Plus Luis Garcia.

I'll probably go to the Ecuador match. The game could be alright as there is a huge immigration from there in recent years, and they are big fans, they sure wore their shirts proudly around town during the World Cup. I predict maybe 60,000 for the match.

As for the nationalist issues. First, Catalonia is not separatist, in a referendum I think maybe 25% would vote yes, depending on the question. Second, the question about the Spanish national team is a good one, but it is hard to defend the idea that Spain's multi-ethnic society hurts the nats. For years Basques not only had a high percentage of national team players but were key in the league in all teams.

In fact, against what our Madrid fan says, the better reason would be that players are more immersed in their clubs and the intensity of the league, and that it is hard for them to get their heads fully into national team committments. And that includes Real Madrid players. After all, it is a team right now dominated by Madrid players that has done so poorly in Eurocup qualifying. The team has had one Catalan, Puyol, with Xavi sometimes playing, and two Basques on it, Etxeberria and Xabi Alonso. Half a dozen are from Madrid and look what great committment they've shown to Spain as the team comes down to a do or die vs. Norway this week. Not to mention the exagerrated emphasis by the press on Madrid, the national press is more interested in that club's wins than national team success.

Did you know that tv ratings for Spain games are better in Catalonia than they are in Madrid, no kidding.

Another factor is timing, the Spain season always ends late, players are tired and injured, and June-July is when all the big competitions are. So Spain has consistently underperformed in Eurocup and World Cup.