Cat Reddick

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cantona24, Sep 23, 2002.

1. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    I know a lot of people who follow college soccer and USWNT are familiar with Reddick but I'm not sure if many are able to appreciate her amazing talents. She is the best overall soccer player playing in college right now. Period. Welsh from Penn St. will probably win player of the year because she will score a bucket full of goals and grab nearly as many assists. But Reddick is far and away the best.

She has the ability to strike 50 yard balls with not only her right foot, but also is accurate with the left. I don't know of many other girls, other than some of her teammates at UNC, who can hit it that far with their strong foot. Her organization in the back is great, she's strong in the air, and is dominant on tackles. All in all she has a presence on the field that let's everyone know shes' in control. To think that she used to be a forward and probably could score 15-20 goals a year up top is scary. Her and Slaton are now stalwarts of the USWNT and Slaton was defensive MVP of WUSA this year. If Reddick was a men's basketball player she would be in the NBA by now. The college game really is not a challenge right now, so I guess it's good she gets called into National camp next week. She'll get to play with players of her caliber.

Sorry for the long post and scattered thoughts. Defenders don't get enough credit, and Reddick is the best defender by far. I guess her reward will be playing in China next summer and the Olympics after that.

2. bison

bison New Member

Nov 29, 2000
    New England
    what about that wagner girl from SCU?

3. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Reddick may be the best defender in the college game.

As to the best overall collegian, it's been a privilege to haul my butt to Santa Clara to see Aly weave her magic and shred defenses. There has been no one like Aly in the game - ever. Aly's the female equivalent of a Zenadine Zidane.

Reddick will rival Slaton as Team USA's best defender in the years to come. Both bring dynamic qualities to the squad. What may set Reddick apart is her organizational skills. I haven't been this excited ever about the nats' defense.

If I was Ape, I would put Chastain and Fawcett to pasture, and anoint Reddick as my defensive captain.

4. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida
    Aly Wagner is the best attacking player and Cat Reddick is the best defensive player. Aly is the best player this year and Cat Reddick will be the best player next year. Cat for sure will be the #1 pick in the 2004 draft. No wonder these two are best friends.

5. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    a very fine player

Cat is definitely a fine player. She deserves your praise. But to keep everything in perspective, she got red carded in the Marquette game early for a take down in the box and UNC simply moved Leslie Gaston to the middle and never missed a beat. Leslie will go high in the draft this year. Wait and see.

6. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Re: a very fine player

Gaston is a fine player, but she is not Cat Reddick. And the fact that she will go high in the draft means nothing. Reddick would be the first college player taken in this year's draft coming up, ahead of Wagner. Carolina Courage will tell you how important it was to pick up Slaton. Though some would like to praise Wagner as Zidane-esque, the fact of the matter is that there is a special offensive player like her every year...Carolina has one every 3 or 4 years who is supposed to be the next big thing. Wagner may end up being that big thing...but Reddick is so solid now and so good in the back it is rare. To think that people in NC have the opportunity to see one of the best 2-3 defenders in the USA, and one of the best young defenders in the world is amazing.

7. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida
    Re: Re: a very fine player

according to April H. there is no offensive midfielder that matches Aly's skills and talent, and according to the 8 teams in the WUSA there is noone going ahead of Aly or Christie in the draft, not even Cat Reddick...dont get me wrong i love the girl and she is a GREAT player...but she is no Aly.

8. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Isn't Reddick a junior?
    Please name these special offensive players just like Aly the last few years. Your views seem to be quite biased and severely myopic. I'll leave it to Aly's play in the next few years for you to realize how misguided your thoughts were.

9. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Sinclair!!

2002 U-19 World Championships MVP and golden boot winner. WUSA would take her now (even though she is a sophomore) over all the others listed. She already is a world class forward.

10. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida
    i dont think so.......they would pick cat reddick and aly over sinclair. sinclair is awesome....but she is not as complete as the other two. and u cant compare her awards at the U19 level, cuz when aly and cat were 19, it didnt exist or else they would own those boots..... once Sinclair joins aly and cat in the WUSA then u can compair...but she is by far the best sophomore in the world rite now.

11. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    I can't agree

First of all, teams will always go for the strikers first, they also get paid the most,. Look at the male players.

Secondly, the last time Sinclair played against the full US National team, she scored two goals. She was 18.

I will agree about Wagner but I can't agree about Reddick. Can she play in a zone defense, can she play a full 90 minutes. UNC doesn't do any of that.

12. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    Did you know that Christine Sinclair has scored 25 goals in 35 games on Canada's senior team. Not bad if you were to ask me.

13. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Re: I can't agree

I guess we'll see in China next year.

14. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    For the US U-19s to be taken to overtime by Canada in the U-19 world championships, (and almost losing in regulation) is a disgrace. The US has thousands upon thousands more female players than any other country and should be able to field 3 teams at all ages, that could win at any level, but they are failing because of poor coaching at the upper levels. So maybe the US will lose to little old Norway again with its couple of hundred players.

15. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida
    for canada......
    not that theyre bad, they are becoming one of the best, but at the moment..... if she were to play for the US im not even sure if shed play in 1/3rd of those 35 caps.

16. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida
    Re: Re: I can't agree

Wagner and Reddick are awesome, lets leave it at that...im sure both of them will be in China next year.