Castel di Sangro [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Clubs' started by BrianCappellieri, Jul 17, 2002.

1. castel

castel New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Aberdeen
    can someone please report at the start of the season where the team has ended up? just to be sure to be sure

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I'll keep an eye out to see if I can spot them listed somewhere when the leagues all settle out. It's not just Serie A and B which are hit by the problems they are having sorting out which clubs will play in which divisions ... it spins on down the line through Serie C and D and below.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  4. toddy

toddy New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Reading the book now and am enjoying it.

Does anyone know if there is a web site where you could order replica or team t-shirts from CdS? Haven't successfully found one, but I don't read Italian (yet) either. Thought it would be cool to add to my collection.

5. castel

castel New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Aberdeen
    think this is extremely unlikely! but then i dont know.
    The website for the old club hasn't workedfor a while any way, if it ever did...

6. castel

castel New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Aberdeen
    hello again!

do you know if there is a link to this division which will show the updated league table from week to week? I saw you're link an twas helpful but i don't know italian so its really difficult to find new links (i suppose i am asking sue saying as you always have the answers)
    :confused:

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Their season hasn't started yet, so I don't know yet if there will be a reliable place to find their results. Here is the official site of the Abruzzo regional committee, but like every official site in Italy, it's a disaster to navigate:

www.figcabruzzo.it

From it, I was able to glean that the Promozione championship for the Abruzzo region begins this Saturday with Pro Castel di Sangro playing at Martinsicuro. The club's cup campaign then starts next Wednesday with a first round home leg vs Rosetana. The return leg is on the following week, on Sept 21. I hope I can find a better site with the results as they happen.

8. La Rosa Morreti

La Rosa Morreti New Member

Sep 6, 2005
    I just finished read the Book. The Miracle of Castel Del SAngro. A great read, and eye opening book. Its a shame this team was let to go so far down.

9. castel

castel New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Aberdeen
    thank you
    and i dont no if anybody nos anything bout this, but hear this shocker about gabriele gravina...looks like his political ambitions actually got him SOMEWHERE at least...

(heres the link - http://www.figc.it/versione_inglese/club_italia/html/gravina.htm)

National Under 21

Gabriele Gravina
    Head of the Delegation

Personal Data : Born in Castellaneta (TA) on October 5, 1953, married Education: University Degree in Law
    Profession: Businessman, Director of numerous Companies working inn various economic fields, Jean Monnet Professor within the European Union in "Law and economics of sport in the European Community", Professor of the specialization course in Sports Law and Economy at the University of Teramo, Professor in the European Masters Course for sports managers - School of Specialization in Sports Law and Economy in the European Union at the University of Teramo. He was a member of the U.E.F.A. Commission for Technical and Administrative Assistance, President of the C.O.L. (Local Organizing Committee) of the 2001 MERIDIAN CUP, Vice President of the F.I.G.C. Technical Sector and President of the CASTEL DI SANGRO Calcio S.r.l. club. He is currently an F.I.G.C. Federal Director, Vice-President of the Technical Sector and Head of the National Under 21 delegation.
    :eek:

10. dada011597

dada011597 New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Chelsea has a great Italian goalie sitting on their bench, Carlo Cudicini, who once played for Castel Di Sangro. He should be starting somewhere for someone. He transfered from Castel Di Sangro to Chelsea directly from Serie C in 1999 and has been in the top flight ever since. But does Marcello Lippi know that he exists?

My father was from Castel Di Sangro. He passed away in July of 1995, therefore missing the "Miracle of Castel di Sangro". Castel Di Sangro was promoted to Serie B after the 1995-1996 season. For two weeks into the 1996-1997 season, they held on to first place in Serie B! But, to hold on at that level requires players that command a lot of money for their services, so the rest is history. But my father would have enjoyed their little run at glory. He also would have enjoyed the fact that we can watch Serie A in the U.S.A. live every Saturday and Sunday thanks to the advent of Dish Network's satellite television. As they said in the movie Cinema Paradiso, technology always comes too late. Last week, there were live Serie A matches on three different networks at the same time (Rai International, Gol TV and Fox Soccer Channel)! That is unheard of! Even the English Premiership does not have that kind of coverege in the U.S.A., as popular as British soccer has become here. In fact, when I was living in Italy in the 1960's, they could not see the first half of Sunday's game live. It was blacked out until the second half. Everyone tuned in to the radio broadcast of the games. Times have really changed.

11. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cinema Paradiso, what a great movie...

And I lived in Italy in the 1980's and times were the same as they were in the 60's, so yeah, times have changed recently, haven't they? Hell, in the mid-90's I could still impress people in Italy by telling them that I had the ability to watch live Serie A games on TV. It wasn't until the late 90's or so that that was the case in Italy itself!

12. dada011597

dada011597 New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Where did you live in Italy? You list Napoli as your team. Is it because you lived in Naples or because you followed Diego Armando Maradona in the 80's? I lived in Naples from 1963 to 1967, during the years of "Il Grande Inter", the best team in the world during those years (Mazzola, Facchetti, Burnich). Now, 40 years later, they are ranked the #1 team in the world, again. But this time, it is with less Italian talent. My father worked for N.A.T.O. in Naples and we had family in Naples, as well, but we are not Neopolitan. As a child, I got to see two games at the San Paolo Stadium in Naples: Napoli-Juventus and Napoli-Torino. I have never had the pleasure of seeing my beloved Inter in person. In the 70's, my father took me to the Ampitheatre in Chicago to see a match live on the big screen: Juventus-Inter. That is something that will never be experienced again! In a crowded and smoky movie house, Italian immigrants watched their beloved teams battle it out (Inter won this game. My dad was an avid Juventus fan.). There were flags and banners in the theatre with people cheering every time their favorite player would appear on the screen (Inter's Sandro Mazzola was the star of the day); it was like you were at the stadium live! What a hoot! People hung out afterwards, discussing the merits of the game. How do I explain these things to my sons, who have 180 channels to choose from, in the privacy of their own home? They can see Inter sometimes twice per week on TV. They do not understand what a big deal it was to see the first half of a game live, while the rest of Italy waited...

13. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I lived in Napoli and Gaeta as a kid (my dad was US Navy), and am moving back to Napoli next year (being Navy myself now ;) ). I was living in Napoli when Maradona first arrived...though my first game at the San Paolo was pre-Maradona (Napoli-Cagliari, spring 1983).

I always like to hear stories about the soccer that was. Today's soccer just doesn't do anything for me. I love the sport because of its past, not so much its present. I love it for the emotions it continues to give us, either by recalling past events (pretty obvious in my case what time period I'm referring to) or living current ones.

Plus, following soccer allows me to keep touch with the glorious days of childhood. Soccer has pretty much been the only constant in my life.

14. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Agreed. I don't know if anyone saw a poll in one of The Beautiful Game boards ranking the pasted World Cups, And most people voted for WC02 (probably most USMNT fans) but I couldn't believe what i was hearing. WC02 maybe the worst WC ever, poor refs, poor attendence, the level of play wasn't nearly as has high as let's say 78, 82, 86?

15. dada011597

dada011597 New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    2002 was a joke! Only 1966 could have been worse! My favorite memories of the World Cup are 1970 (Pele; Mazzola; Rivera), 1982 (Paolo Rossi; Altobelli) and 1994 (only because I was able to attend all of the games in the Chicago at the old Soldier Field, but the final in L.A. was painful to watch, as Roberto Baggio played with his injury).

16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Pro Castel di Sangro has gotten off to a good start in their league with a 1-1 draw at Martinsicuro in the first week of play and a 2-0 home win over Polisportiva Mosciano this past weekend. They are in 4th place on 4 pts.

I haven't been able to find out how their cup campaign is going.

17. dada011597

dada011597 New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Can you please direct me to the site where you are getting the information on my beloved Castel Di Sangro? I am starving for news! I am glad they are doing well. I tried the sites mentioned in some posts without any luck.

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Okay ... it's pretty ugly, but the site I've been getting news from is this one:

http://www.figcabruzzo.it/

Here was the news release with their group's scores from last weekend:

http://www.figcabruzzo.it/ac/news/news.php?news=538

I could NOT find a way to get to old news articles from that page, but I did find the first week's scores by clicking on the link to the Comitato Provincia L'Aquila, which did have a way to get to old articles:

http://www.figcabruzzo.it/ac/news/news.php?news=533

I'm still trying to find out the result of the home leg of their cup tie vs Rosetana which was supposedly played last Wednesday. The return leg is being played tomorrow, at least according to the information in this:

http://www.figcabruzzo.it/cu/comuff/030013/cu.doc

19. dada011597

dada011597 New Member

Sep 7, 2005

20. castel

castel New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Aberdeen
    what a load of bollocks - call that professional football do they? What a shame.

Good about castel though - glad to see sthg is being bpieced together out of the remains

21. dada011597

dada011597 New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Castel Di Sangro is undefeated in their comeback attempt, after three games, they are in second place.

26/09/2005

PROMOZIONE A: I RISULTATI E LA CLASSIFICA DOPO LA TERZA GIORNATA DI ANDATA

... I RISULTATI

CANISTRO-COLONNELLESE 2-1
    MARTINSICURO-LUCO 0-1
    PATERNO-COLOGNA SPIAGGIA 1-3
    POL.MOSCIANO-CASTELNUOVO VOMANO 5-2
    PONTEVOMANO-ROSETANA 2-0
    S.OMERO PALMENSE-ATLETICO NEPEZZANO 3-0
    SAN NICOLA SULMONA-S.NICOLO' 0-3
    TAGLIACOZZO-PRO CASTEL DI SANGRO 1-2
    TORTORETO-CAPISTRELLO 2-3

LA CLASSIFICA

CANISTRO, CAPISTRELLO 9 pt;
    PRO CASTEL DI SANGRO 7 pt;
    PATERNO, POL.MOSCIANO, S.NICOLO' 6 pt;
    S.OMERO PALMENSE 5 pt;
    COLOGNA SPIAGGIA, LUCO 4 pt;
    ATLETICO NEPEZZANO, CASTELNUOVO VOMANO, PONTEVOMANO, TAGLIACOZZO, TORTORETO 3 pt;
    COLONNELLESE 2 pt;
    MARTINSICURO, ROSETANA, SAN NICOLA SULMONA 1 pt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2005 - figc-news
    tutti i diritti riservati

22. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Thanks for looking that up! Also, buried in this incredibly long and rambling press release about everything related to calcio Abruzzese, I found that the result of the first cup leg between Pro Castel di Sangro and Rosetana was 0-0. Perhaps their next press release will give the result of the second leg (which took place last Wednesday).

http://www.figcabruzzo.it/cu/comuff/030014/cu.doc

23. dada011597

dada011597 New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Thanks for the update, as well. I like your rolling calendar. It is very useful and I will check it from time to time.

24. dada011597

dada011597 New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    The Boys from Castel di Sangro continue to roll! Undefeated after four weeks.

03/10/2005

PROMOZIONE A: I RISULTATI E LA CLASSIFICA DOPO LA QUARTA GIORNATA DI ANDATA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... I RISULTATI
    ATLETICO NEPEZZANO-CANISTRO 1-0
    CAPISTRELLO-PATERNO 3-1
    CASTELNUOVO VOMANO-TAGLIACOZZO 0-0
    COLOGNA SPIAGGIA-MARTINSICURO 0-0
    COLONNELLESE-PONTEVOMANO 0-0
    LUCO-POL.MOSCIANO 1-0
    PRO CASTEL DI SANGRO-SAN NICOLA SULMONA 4-2
    ROSETANA-TORTORETO 1-0
    S.NICOLO’-S.OMERO PALMENSE 2-1

LA CLASSIFICA
    CAPISTRELLO 12 pt
    PRO CASTEL DI SANGRO 10 pt
    CANISTRO, S.NICOLO' 9 pt
    LUCO 7 pt
    ATLETICO NEPEZZANO, PATERNO, POL.MOSCIANO 6 pt
    COLOGNA SPIAGGIA, S.OMERO PALMENSE 5 pt
    CASTELNUOVO VOMANO, PONTEVOMANO, ROSETANA, TAGLIACOZZO 4 pt
    COLONNELLESE, TORTORETO 3 pt
    MARTINSICURO 2 pt
    SAN NICOLA SULMONA 1 pt

© 2005 - figc-news
    tutti i diritti riservati

25. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Good news! Thanks for the update.

I did discover they lost 1-0 in the return leg of their cup matchup with Rosetana. No matter, the more important goal is to get promoted (although the Promozione cup-winner does win promotion to Eccellenza, going that route is a longshot at best).