Casey: Kaiserslautern v. FSV Mainz, 12/5 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Dec 5, 2004.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Casey did not start. 0-0 in the first half.

2. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    As soon as I create the thread, K'lautern takes the lead. 1-0.

3. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is casey on yet? What happened to his form? Didn't he start the season with 3 assists and 2 goals in a 5-2 win? Or am i wrong?

4. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Halftime, 1-0.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he did have a game early on with 3 assists and 2 goals. i'm not exactly sure if it was a league game though. sucks for him.

6. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He started well, but then going back n' forth to the national team pissed off juergen klopp and never let him settle into the team really. He was playing regularly till this week tho' due to injury of niclas weiland. Weiland trained this week and got the start. Personally, (as I watch the game now live), they'd have been better off with Casey... they're playing horribly worst game I've seen outta them since the season opener in Stuttgart. Weiland doen't look good, they've brought on Teinert as I type this and he's providing some good energy here at the beginning of the second half. Not good news for Conor that they brought on Teiny instead of him. Although he was generally being brought on in the 80th or there about prior to Niclas going down. We'll see how it goes. This game is pissin' me off. :(

7. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    2-0, Kosowski doubles the lead for the home team.

8. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    holeee, now Claudius Weber is coming on... another striker... we now have 4 on, but no CC.

9. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOW CC comes on, (76 min) Weiland is playing midfield now... essentially 5 strikers on now. wow.... and Juergen Klopp got thrown out for kickin' an advertising sign!!! He ran across the field!!! And is now sitting in the stands on the other side!! I've never seen anything like this. Scheiss Kaiserslautern... wir singen...

10. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's it... 2 : 0 for Lautern :-(
    Not looking good for Casey, after his goal in Wolfsburg he obvioulsy somehow dropped his level of performance... Hope he kriegt die Kurve

That leaves Cherundolo as the only well-performing American in the Bundesliga... Hope Donovan can give an impact for that...

11. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    I believe that it was a German Cup game against a lower division team.

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. Arena did call Casey in for a set of qualifiers several months ago and didn't use him. True.

However, Arena did not call in Casey for the last two sets of qualifiers and Casey has since been given a series of starts which ended this week.

Why? Because he has not been performing apparently. Has nothing to do with Arena or the USMNT, but with what Casey did on the field in the repeated opportunities his coach has given him this year.

On the other hand, maybe it's not him but the rest of the team.

13. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, actually it could be a combination of the things...not necessarily "nonsense". First off, the fact remains that Coach Klopp had a very public outburst during a newsconference in which he stated flatout that the reason CC was not playing and settling in well was that he was going back and forth to the national team, and worse still (in his opinion, not mine) CC was being called in to fly to the states then to central america only to sit. You're quite right that Bruce didn't call him lately... and that coincided with CC getting more time. That would tend to be evidence that the national team callups were disrupting him.
    Yesterday's lack of starting was quite possibly due to his lack of production, but also due to N. Weiland coming back from injury. When you watch 05 you see that since Niclas has gone out, the front line has lacked energy, and probably Klopp was trying to get some of that back for the big derby. Didn't work unfortunately, and I really think given the way the play ended up going ( rough n' tumble, no surprise in a derby) that CC might have been more effective. Also, (just to add further speculation to why CC didn't start) Benjamin Auer grew up 30km from 'lautern and was a big fan as a kid, had 20 friends n' family at the game, and despite nursing some injuries, spoke in interviews all week of how he wanted to play in this game come h3ll or high water. Could be that Kloppo figured Auer's motivation would be good also, dunno. In any case, hopefully, Assouagh comes back after the winterbreak, because the midfield service has been really inconsistent without him.

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is undeniable that Coach Klopp said in a press conference that he was unhappy with Casey flying in for ONE set of qualifiers and not playing.

But his little fit aside, Coach Klopp started Casey in a number of games in a row, that ended with last weekend. Casey was not called in during this time and had ample time to settle in. So, the facts are that Casey has not been "disrupted" in a long time, has had weeks of games and non-stop practicing and has not yet established himself.

CONCLUSION: Whatever is happening with Casey NOW -- be it benching for non-performance, a temporary glitch or whatever -- has nothing to do with the fact he was called in for ONE set of qualifiers months ago. That excuse is simply too old to be given any credit. Another word -- NONSENSE.

15. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think that there is absolutely no correlation between CC having an up and down/ in and out of the team fall---at all---and being called into the national team even tho' the coach specifically pointed that out as being the main problem of CC not being able to nail down a starting spot? I didn't mean necessarily yesterday's game in isolation---as I said, it would seem to have been a bunch of different possible reasons for him not starting yesterday. And don't believe I'm making "excuses" for him... frankly, I want FSV to win period, whether CC is in the team or not. I was just trying to give some background to a poster who asked why CC wasn't starting after having some initial success.

Also, I'd say it is up for argument as to why Kloppo started CC in those games in a row---most evidence would point to Niclas Weiland being injured and trying to come back from injury. True enough, tho', if CC had lit it up, he may have stayed in. Who knows, maybe he starts next week, Niclas looked far from game fit yesterday.

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ONE time he was called in may have been a factor in Casey not starting in September. It was not a factor thereafter, as he was starting, for whatever reason.

Colour me confused. The poster asked why Casey wasn't starting now after some success and your answer was that he initially didn't start because of Arena? Ok, whatever.

Yeah, maybe. But the issue is irrelevant with respect to the impact of CC's USMNT experience because, regardless of the reason, CC did have a chance to "settle in" despite whatever earlier disruption flowed from his USMNT experience, but hasn't, for whatever reason.