Carrol called in for next Nats camp

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by hala-cosmos, Sep 29, 2005.

1. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
  2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that's flippin' sweet for BC. I hope it works out weel for him.

3. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Lots of folks on the Nats board were expecting it to be Freddy and couldn't believe Brian was worthy. Hope he makes the best of it. Congrats Brian.

4. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Good for BC. Everyone can see that he has improved his workrate, his positioning, his vision, and his tackling skills. If he can polish up his passing skills, he can become a regular callup.

He'll be battling John O'Brien, Chris Armas, Pablo Mastroeni, Kerry Zavagnin, and Richard Mulrooney for a spot as D-mid. Each has strengths, but each has weaknessess too.

At the very least, training with the big boys will help his game and his confidence immeasurably.

(Of course, this is not counting on Arena pulling one of his positional surprises and playing BC as a target forward or goalkeeper...)

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. This is what I'm mostly hoping for out of the whole thing. I don't think he's going to be battling himself ahead of O'Brien/Mastroeni/etc. anytime soon; but I do think this could do good things for his game.

6. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I think right now the position is Mastroeni's to lose.

Sad as it makes me to say, I think John O'Brien's days are done. He is very fragile, and just can't stay healthy. I think he's the best US player any time he pulls on a US shirt; at the very least he ties for that honor w/ Kasey and Claudio.

Armas is older and slower now, and while experience is nice, I think it's a stretch to see him on the WC 2006 roster.

BC is faster than Zavagnin and works harder. Kerry passes much better, though, and can link w/ the midfield and forwards better.

Mulrooney is a nice player, but he's hit a plateau. Hasn't had a sniff at a US Nats match in a while. (at least that I can recall)

So while BC completely lacks experience, he has a chance to make a reputation for himself.

But yeah, realistically, given the timeline to Germany, I'll be thrilled if he comes back to DC a faster-thinking, better-passing D-mid.

7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prolly.

Well, I dunno. If you'd made these statements eight months ago I would have agreed. But he's had a prolonged uninjured period now; and even if he's not playing at 2002-era levels just yet, I've still gone from resigned to slightly hopeful.

Yes. Admittedly it was against Panama, but in Zavagnin's match here with the Nats last October, he shows some fantastic passing.

Well, he was sidelined for nearly all of this season because of injury, right?

8. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I have my fingers crossed because he's an automatic first choice for me. I hope I'm wrong, but I have this feeling that if I count on him to anchor our midfield, I'll be crushed when he gets hurt again.

Yup. Recovery to full fitness from long-term, repeated injuries seem to take almost twice as long as the rehab period. And he's running out of time. Armas is still not back to the form he showed in 2002. And will never be, IMO.

Anyway, to bring this back to DCU content, BC is coming into an environment where he's not just making up the numbers.

9. eric6854

eric6854 New Member

Apr 20, 1999
    Virginia
    Isnt he out with a groin situation?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247764

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that O'Brien missed the Mexico match due to injury, right? And that he's back injured after playing just three games this month for his club team?

11. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, no.

Well, hell.

12. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Good for caroll!

13. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I avoid the USMNT News & Analysis board like the plague, but I'm going to have to go look at it now just to see all the whiners complain about how Arena favors DCU players and how Carroll doesnt deserve a callup.

Good for BC. I hope he gets a chance to play more than 5 minutes against Panama.

And didnt that guy who hates Nowak and worships Adu say that it couldnt be BC who was getting called up?

14. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was Ricardo Clark called in as well?

15. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC

Dont think that the whole callup has been announced. Most likely tomorrow.

Clark should get a look though.

16. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bruce should attend more MLS matches across the country. Unfortunately, its virtually impossible for him to do that without breaking the sound barrier. Because at DC matches he doesn't have to follow the ball as you would on TV.

But of course I'm assuming he watches off the ball..

17. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my depth chart for dmid on the US:
    1-O'brien- but I doubt he can stay healthy.
    2-Mastroeni- Also versatile, and can play center-back.
    3-Clark- Has been lighting up MLS, and should be in the best XI. He deserves a shot, and is still very young.
    4-Zavagnin- Nothing spectacular, but solid in this role.
    5-Armas- Veteran who is 100% effort and 0% skill these days.

Carrol is somewhere behind that group, and I give him about the same chance as me to get a callup to Germany, but he could develop into a fringe player for the next cycle, and if he keeps playing like he did in Santiago, he'll have a full-time job.

18. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I'd put Carroll higher than Armas, and even with Zavagnin (Z has better offense, BC, better defense). Carroll's chance at Germany is low but this position is weaker than most think.

-JOB gets hurt as noted plus Arena this summer made it clear that he wants JOB to be able to use his offense for the team so even when healthy there would normally be another d-mid with him.

-Arena has had several opportunities to call up Zavagnin and he hasn't been. It seems clear that he's looking for someone else.

-One of those someone else's is Armas (and Olsen) and he's deteriorated while Carroll has improved. Clearly Carroll is better than Benny defensively.

-Mulrooney is hurt now and while I think he'll be healthy for next MLS season that's too late for Arena.

That leaves Mastroeni and Clark clearly ahead of BC as a dedicated d-mid. That's not much depth there.

19. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Was it JoeW who called Carroll? Good job, Joe.

20. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to toot my own horn on calling this one, but... https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6267869&postcount=73 ;)

Also,
    I'm beginning to think you don't need to add the "defensively" to this sentence.

Full disclosure: I am a big BC fan and also went to Wake Forest, but the kid has been stepping it up lately.

21. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you're crossing the line, yes supporting your fellow Demon Deacon is fine, but let's not get crazy.

22. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thank you very much, I did mention Brian Carroll in the Goff thread. Not sure if I was the first one or not.

As to BC and the Nats--I think he is in the position where given the particular game plan and opponent, he could be a natural or not even in the picture. As others have pointed out, most of our D-mid candidates come with various strengths and weaknesses. Something that Carroll brings to the picture is he probably has better pace than anyone else on our D-mid list: I'd rate him better than Mastroeni, Armas, Zavagnin.

Also, I think Claudio Reyna (given the opponent and if Donovan is at A-mid) is a candidate for D-mid against some teams.

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Ahem, from the Goff thread:

Good for Carroll.

I think what really put him on the map is that he had his best game ever in a United kit IN Chile.

The ability to remain consistant with performances on the road is absolutely huge, and I'm sure Arena took note of this which pushed Brian into the camp. This should give him a ton more confidence and only help him grow as a player.

Nice work, Brian.

24. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earlier this season, I would have agreed. But, I think Olsen's skills are, unfortunately, detiorating. So, I really don't think you can say he's clearly better than BC.

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't seem him making an actual roster anytime soon, and I really hope Rico Clark gets called into camp if Carroll is going in...