Carolina Challenge Cup

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by fatbastard, Oct 25, 2006.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, when will The Battery choose which MLS teams to invite?
    I'd love to come down for another week this March, but want to make sure United will be there before I rent a beach house :)

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

last year the teams were announced the first of Dec. (the 11th I think)

I would hope United is there. Houston might get the invite as they won IIRC. Not sure on the third team but I would like to see LA or NE, unless there is a major signing by some team in the offseason

Mikey

3. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    I'm actually thinking of trying to fly Space A back from England to Charleston for this tourney. It was such a blast last time.

4. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, nothing could be finer than March in Carolina and the season just cranking up.

I'm stopping off at Battery HQ today, I'll try to pry some intel out of Andrew although I doubt he'll tell me anything. I think I have a bit of a rep as a forum ho so the staff usually won't tell me anything. :rolleyes:

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    My wife wants to head down there as well... I can't wait. :)

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally, I'd just assume we'd be there, but we have some int'l tourneys to play next year in Feb. and March........

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would be great to see you again.

thats one of the great things about Charleston; it isn't hard to convince women to travel here. Conde Nast rated Charleston as one of the top romantic getaways in the US!

mikey

8. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Why not a Hardeeville XI?

9. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew wasn't around but I talked to Auggie a bit. Nothing definite, not even any hints of who might be coming. But he did mention possible scheduling conflicts with the CONCACAF tournament (Confederations Cup?) for some MLS teams. I haven't bothered to check when those dates are. Also, he said MLS was considering moving their season start date later by a week. He said that would allow the CCC to move later by a week which would help the Battery have another week of training under their belts. So, this year could be the year we win our own tournament. WOO-HOO

10. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked and the CONCACAF tourney is called the Champions Cup. Two MLS teams will go, the regular season champ, which was DCU and the MLS Cup champ. If DCU wins that then the 2nd place club from the regular season gets the 2nd invite and I believe that was FC Dallas. Also, couldn't find anything on the CONCACAF website about dates although there are some preliminary rounds going on now between some Central American teams. I can't imagine a CCC without DCU but if CONCACAF doesn't publish a schedule soon, the Battery may not be able/want to wait to firm up the CCC tournament info and get the PR out.

11. Deschamps10

Deschamps10 New Member

Sep 12, 2002
    NYC & Paris
    Keep your date books open for a trip to Fla. ... Battery may be playing a special match or two during their preseason. If I give more details, then I'll be hunted down and killed.

12. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the rest of us can guess!!

Let's see......MLS has their preseason sessions in Fl. where the clubs train and play each other. We could be included in that. I can't imagine the USMNT has anything firm on their schedule at this point (other than COPA 2007) since they don't have a coach yet. Most other leagues in the world are in full swing in March/April so I can't see any club team being over here for any reason. I'll go with some sort of MLS thingy.

13. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandra's itching for another Challenge Cup venture for 2007. The Crew better be invited! Get the banana hat ready, JBG! How's Mikey doing in the war?

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

survived a sniper, Small arms fire, a rocket landing about 150 meters from where I sleep and a damn IED. Only 40 more days to go Whoo Hoo!

Hope you make it down. got a great pub that I don't think was open last time you where here Madra Rua. good food, good people and good beer.

mikey

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI - Denmark in January at the HDC

16. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there was something floating around about a Mexico/US friendly in february in Phoenix.....I'll try and find the link

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, DCU being in that (and another) tournament is what has me worried. this "week later" news should seal the deal. We always miss the Azalea Festival in Summerville by about a week, this would mean we could catch it - so of course United will not be there, that's how my luck usually works ;)

18. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear you're doing OK, Mikey. I dont think Madra Rua was there when I was, unless it was a small Irish place in Mt Pleasant?

19. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Banana Hat sits prominently on a shelf in my office. I get lots of strange looks......

20. Billy Jack Diego

Billy Jack Diego New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Could be the new USL-2 team, or is it PDL team that is being added in Orlando area?

21. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talked to someone at Battery HQ yesterday, the CCC announcement should be this week. Two teams are locked in and they're working on the 3rd. I knew they wouldn't tell me the names but I cleverly, with my razor sharp, cunning mind, pumped some intel out of them.

I was originally thinking maybe we might see some Caribbean or Mexican teams (not sure when their regular seasons end) so I asked if the teams were all MLS? Yes. Then I asked if there would be some teams we've seen before? Yes. Will there be any new teams? Yes.

The more I think about it, LA would seem logical. Glinton is out there now and Watson and Yallop's Canadian careers overlapped quite a bit. Plus, Watson coached the U-23 Canucks when Yallop had the Men. So, I could see where Yallop would bring his Galaxy to Charleston to see his ol buddy Mark.

Here's my prediction: NY (Arena's been to Blackbaud before too as a spectator), Columbus, LA

2007............the return of Brook...........

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, feel sorry for getting big crowds (depending on what aging has-beens NJ or LA sign of course).

But on the plus side - Charleston is a better team than all 3 of those, and you just might win the whole thing, which would be nice :D

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be about time if we did

We've owned NY when ever we play them (two USOC and a CCC match)
    LA would be new
    Columbus it would be good to see Brook but not sure who is on the team anymore that would draw an average joe fan.

I guess there are like a 1000000 people form Ohio in SC so maybe that would be a draw

Still it wont seem the same with out DC if it ends up that way. We would still welcome the EAgles and Barra Brava as honorary Battery fans for hte week though.

Is it March yet?

24. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. We could fill up the Coffee Pot Cup and drain it.....for training purposes, you understand. It's the preseason & fans have to get game fit too.

[​IMG]

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Can we mock the RBNY fans with "here's one more cup you'll never win"?

Sachin