Carling Cup: Toon-West Brom [R]

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by cleazer, Oct 28, 2003.

1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just took a look at nufc.com, and it looks like we're bringing the full squad for this game, unlike Arsenal and some other Premiership clubs.

here's what they say:
    NUFC: Harper, Griffin, Hughes, Bramble, O'Brien, S. Caldwell, Bernard, Solano, Speed, Viana, Robert, Jenas, Ambrose LuaLua, Ameobi, Shearer, Chopra, Given.

Bowyer out with flu, expected injury victims Dyer, Woodgate and Bellamy don't feature, Harper is in goal with another four or five changes to Saturday's starting XI expected to be made. Solano returns but there's no place for Cort, wanted on loan allegedly by our Carling Cup opponents.

West Brom is actually leading the 1st Division right now, so Bobby doesn't have the option of taking this match lightly. We've got a 5 match winning streak right now, and this is our chance to go 6-0 for the month of October.

2. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Sir Bobby plays the first 11 and presses the attack against the WBA defenders, NUFC should win...

But having said that, we Baggies have had our share of Cup upsets over the years. We'll see.

3. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well apparently with the time change I am no on Eastern Standard Time! I came into the lab to listen to the Newcastle game at 1:45 (or so I thought) and apparently with soccernet listing the game at 2:45 EST.......and with the game not being on yet....I put two and two together. Henceforth.....why does the world hate me!!! ARG!

4. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got out of class......as soon as I began listening to the game again I notice that I'm eating Crow because Shola Ameobi has an OG! However, 2 minutes after I learn of this Robert Laurent comes through with a huge goal!

Newcastle 1
    WBA 1

Shots:
    Newcastle 29
    WBA 8

On Target:
    Newcastle 17
    WBA 2

You can clearly see who is dominating posession. Newcastle will score 2 more and win 3-1.

46,000 Geordies have packed SJP for this one!

HOWAY THE LADS!

5. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Trackman,

Was there any explanation given for SBR pulling Viana at halftime?

6. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't around for that part. however, in worse news..in the first OT period Volmer scores for WBA and pulls ahead 2-1. 2nd period is under way right now.

7. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm psychic ability??? :D

Anyway, best of luck the rest of the season, and we'll see you next year in the top flight (hopefully).

8. John Boy

John Boy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Staffordshire
    Lee Hughes scored the Baggies winner.

9. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever scored the winner, the outcome is an absolute joke! The stats show it and my man Shola was your MVP of the day. WBA isn't on the level or even the branch of NUFC and I think that is obvious to all of us.

10. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me? :confused:

If you're referring to the shots on goal, yes Newcastle absolutely dominated. But the Toon ran into Hoult playing out of his mind... the best keeper in the Nationwide hands down.

And WBA is not "on the level, even the branch" of Newcastle? If that was the case then the team you put out last night - which was not entirely composed of Newcastle reserve players - would have run roughshod over the Albion.

Yes, Albion have been relegated and are a division below the Premier League. But do you remember those thumpings the Toon dealt the Baggies last season? If you do, you're imagining things. Because NUFC only won by a goal at SJP against WBA last year (aided by a highly questionable call!), and drew 2-2 in the final game of the season at The Hawthorns. That does not suggest a team that's light years ahead of West Brom.

I've learned my lesson about trying to be a gracious winner. I'll be sure to rub it in but good on this board if we beat Man Yoo in December.

11. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your keeper played out of his mind and that is that. Had he not, NUFC could have ran up 5 goals. Had Shearer played the entire stretch, had Dyer played, had Woodgate been fit, and had Bellamy played......we would'nt be having this discussion. We didn't play with a full reserve squad, but at the same time lets once again list the names of the people who didn't play or didn't play very much.

SHEARER
    DYER
    BELLAMY
    WOODGATE
    GIVEN

Any questions?

12. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still haven't told me anything. Four of the above players (except for Woodgate) were on the pitch for the aforementioned 2-1 Newcastle win over WBA last season that should have been a draw if not for a horrible decision by the ref to give a direct free kick on an alleged backpass...

Given your logic, we should have lost 5-1 on that day as well, especially as Alan Shearer played the full 90 minutes. :rolleyes:

13. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why are you discussing last year? Live in the now, your a D1 team now. :)

14. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

46,000? That's 5,000-6,000 under capacity.

The Baggies won, that's that. Now if Amoebi can put the ball in the back of the opponent's net, we will all be much better off. :)

15. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, Albion are Division 1 now. And so since Newcastle just lost to a First Division team with a halfway decent squad, that means they're not that much better.

(Please note I am conceding that NUFC are better, just not quite the pie-in-the-sky level you are imagining, Trackman.)