News: Carli Lloyd has announced retirement

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Aug 16, 2021.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Namdynamo, West Ender, kolabear and 9 others repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Definitely will miss the old guard that helped U.S. winning many championships for a decade at least.

Namdynamo, kolabear, McSkillz and 4 others repped this.
  3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The greatest question in the history of USWNT, Akers wore the #10, not sure who the eff wore it inbetween, and then Lloyd wore #10. Who will now get the #10? Do one of the other veterans like Horan or someone get dibs on it or does it get passed down to a new fresh player?

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be surprised if Horan gets it. I assume it is her preferred number, as she wears it for the Thorns.

McSkillz repped this.
  5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aly Wagner

CoachJon and McSkillz repped this.
  6. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 years too late. Her and Rapinoe and the coaches, admins that allowed them to stay on team cost the country a shot at the gold medal. Gotta know when to fold em.

Kryptonite repped this.
  7. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thanks for the memories especially the 2015 final. Started her national team career when we had 2 stars and ended it with 4.

Namdynamo, Bob Lamm, West Ender and 6 others repped this.
  8. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Hell of an athlete. Loved her grit and determination and growing older sucks.

Namdynamo, Bob Lamm, jackdoggy and 2 others repped this.
  9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. CookieRules

CookieRules Member

N/a
    United States
    Jul 1, 2021
    Vlatkos tactics cost this team a gold medal. Dont get it twisted.
    If carli and pinoe didnt score in the third place match the usa would go home with nothing.

ytrs and NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per the Official USSF Press Release:

CHICAGO (August 16, 2021) – Carli Lloyd, perhaps the most impactful big-game player ever to feature for the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team, one of the greatest players in the storied history of the USWNT program, the second-most capped player in world soccer history and owner of 128 international goals.

Henceforth, IMHO, this should be the only acceptable and correct way to reference this particular player on this Board and in general cocktail party conversation.

Namdynamo, outside63, Bob Lamm and 3 others repped this.
  12. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I posted a couple weeks ago that I figured she (out of the 3 or 4 that probably should step away from US team play) would be the first to voluntarily retire, while the others were more consumed with the limelight and won’t. Lots of people said no way….she’ll be the one forced out. Clearly, while still fiercely competitive, she gets it. Hopefully, some of the others will follow.

Namdynamo, CoachJon, Bob Lamm and 4 others repped this.
  13. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I read your post on 8/8, regarding Vlatko’s tactics (or lack there of). And while I can see solid points there, my devils advocate response would be, if you’re the #1 ranked team in the world, if you believe that the players you’ve used over the all the matches in the last year and a half (which mostly have been consistent) can execute, then why would he have need to make changes? You said that the other countries came into the matches making changes…well of course that had…they had been beaten by the US!

The US simply needed to execute. He can’t go on the field and make the plays…the players have to! When he would sub players in the game (regardless if you liked the method in which he did it) were again expected to execute. They didn’t.

It is very mind boggling to me how a coach who had basically a flawless record over a year and a half would be blamed for this tournament. I mean when the most vocal player on your squad comes out and defends the coach by saying the players aren’t doing their jobs, that spoke volumes about their coach….

Namdynamo and CoachJon repped this.
  14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. This isn't the 90s anymore when it's the US and maybe 2-3 other countries with decent competition.

The USSF needs to wake up and realize that other federations and leagues are starting women's teams and women's academies alongside their men's teams.

You ever notice how players will retire from their national teams, then play a few more years for a club team? Compare that to the women's national team 90s...there wasn't much else. The mindset that they can trot out any bunch of a number of players and easily crank out a 5-1 win...well, we saw what happened.

40 is far, far too old. Her time has passed.

Megan Rapinoe also needs to be shown the door. The team needs to get younger. Much younger and now.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    OMG, another thread with your hate for Vlatko. Is there a personal reason you are on this march? Enough!

sitruc, Namdynamo, Kevin625 and 2 others repped this.
  16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Perhaps she will become the USWNT coach?? :)

17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know that was, probably/possibly, intended to be "tongue in cheek" but I believe she could do little worse than has been done.

However I believe, generally, it is a bad idea for a former player to coach/manage the side they played for until almost all of the players he/she played with have retired or been replaced.

Plus I also believe former players need to be 'vetted" at lower levels before they try to move into a head coaching roll.

NCChiFan and Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    The most impactful big-game player ever to feature for the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team”

I’ll say !!!
    Congratulations on your career Carli
    I loved watching you play.

outside63, Kevin625 and edcrocker repped this.
  19. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for her. One of the best.

Kevin625 repped this.
  20. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ertz should get it, or... maybe Ashley Sanchez?

21. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my heart.
    Now I know why she was so emotional after their defeat against Canada...She wanted a gold to precede her retirement. Probably the most unassuming and most underrated USWNT player so far.

McSkillz repped this.
  22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    The coach and the team let her down so she had to do all the work to win the bronze by scoring 2 goals at her age!

McSkillz repped this.
  23. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    There's so much pathology among sports fans. For some, hating coaches of their teams is crucial. For others, hating players on their teams is crucial. It's really sad--but also quite unpleasant to see.

MRAD12 and taosjohn repped this.
  24. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    She's the kind of person you'd say the words "Thank you for your service".

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some career stats for Lloyd:
    Caps: 312 (2nd most in USWNT history...and likely will get a few more in these fall friendlies; her 1st cap was in 2005)
    Goals: 128 (4th in USWNT history, behind only Wambach, Hamm, and Lilly)
    Starts: 239 of her 312 caps
    WWC caps: 25 (and winner of Golden Ball and Silver Boot in 2015 WWC)
    Olympic caps: 22 (scoring 10 goals, including 3 in Olympic finals in 2008 and 2012)
    Winner of 2 WWC's and 2 Olympic golds; 2-time winner of FIFA's Best Female player (2015 and 2016) and twice named USSF Female Player of the Year (2008 and 2015)

While some surely have criticism, no one can deny that she was truly a big-game player, probably the best of the USWNT players to really rise to the occasion in the biggest games. She also is an example of someone who really enjoyed the hard work behind the scenes. Anson Dorrance once saw Mia Hamm running sprints by herself and wrote her a note that said, "The vision of a champion is someone bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion when no one is watching." It's a good description of Lloyd as well.

No one can forget the hat trick in the 2015 WWC final and that goal. Fans who've been around longer will also surely remember the goal in the 2008 Olympic final in ET. But, we should also remember this (thanks, Meg Linehan for the reminder):

1427305592440311814 is not a valid tweet id

Namdynamo, CoachJon, jackdoggy and 4 others repped this.