Cardio advice

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by pwhitdog, Sep 3, 2002.

1. pwhitdog

pwhitdog New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Hey guys it's me again. I am taking it slower in the amount of time playing on my knee and it is getting better. However, any ideas on how to increase my endurance for my training without running/jogging. Any breaks my knees can take right now would be for the better in between games. I need something that will get me to expand my lungs, so riding a bike for 45 min just doesn't do it for me. Thanks for the help, if you have any questions please just ask.
    Paul

2. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    If you can't run, swim!

3. gerr18

gerr18 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    yes, he hit the nail on the head. when i broke my leg, after 4 weeks, i got a removable boot...and immediately started running in the water. you can get in the deep end of a pool at the YMCA and actually do running motions across the pool and back, keeping your head above the water. this will actually get you more fit than you already are. i usually did this for about 45 min to an hour. if you want some detailed things to do. let me know.

4. pwhitdog

pwhitdog New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    if you want some detailed things to do. let me know.
    -gerr18

Could you please...thank you!
    Paul

5. gerr18

gerr18 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    well...when i first started in the water...i started in the deep end so that there was no pressure on my leg at all. i also started with a float belt on as well and eventually advanced to doing it all with no belt. what i would do is go the length of the pool, which was olympic length, and back and then rest for 15 seconds. after 10 reps i would rest for a minute. and i would do this for 45min to an hour like i said before. here are some of the different exercises you can do.

1. regular jogging motion.
    2. keeping legs straight, swing them back and forth propelling you forward.
    3. turn sideways and keep legs straight, swinging across your body, moving you forward.
    4. regular jogging backwards.
    5. jogging in place as hard and as fierce as you can for 2 minutes, rest 30 seconds and then repeat 5 times. 10 min work total.

--all these are done length of pool and back.

then you can advance to the shallow end of the pool. wearing either pool shoes or old shoes for traction. you can do a number of things in the shallow end. all of these exercises should be done with maximum effort so that you get maximum resistance from the water.

1. side stepping(shuffling)
    2. running forward/backwards as fast as can.
    3. running with high knees/heel kicks
    4. run 2 steps, then mimmick a kicking motion, but when you mimmick the kick, exaggerate the back swing as well as the follow through, all the while resisting the water and swinging as hard as possible. alternate right and left foot ea. time.

basically, just use your imagination. and motion you can think of will be of use when running in the water.

good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions.