captain

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 1-X-2, Nov 22, 2004.

1. 1-X-2

1-X-2 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Maybe this is obvious and doesn't require a thread, but I was wondering, if Reyna is unfit and doesn't go to Germany, who would captain the team?

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
  3. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
  4. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    Obviously Adu

I'm just kidding. It will be Donovan. He already sleeps with the captains armband under his pillow.

5. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    how about this - even if reyna goes to germany with us, will he be our captain? what if he is there as a sub? will that make a difference?

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Nah, Donovan will skip Germany to be with his girlfriend in LA.

7. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    I am not sure that you take the armband from Reyna just yet. The captain should not necessarily be most skilled player on the pitch. If that were the case, then it would go to Donovan. However, I feel like there is a certain "tenure" element to wearing the armband. Claudio has earned it. Has proven himself to be one of the only true world class players in the history of the team. Although Donovan is getting there (if not already), I think armband still goes to Reyna.

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Donovan having worn the armband in each of the USA's last two WCQ's, I'd believe that he's being groomed to have that honor bestowed upon him when it's time.

Just that the opportunity to get him ready for it while Reyna has been injured and unavailable, that timing has been right.

There are others who would make a good captain next year and beyond-- such as Friedel, Keller or Pope, for instance. However, with each of those players' spots being up for grabs, I think Bruce would want to give the armband to a player who he knows will be on the field game in and game out.

Not only is Landon seen as the USA's most skilled player, but he can play any of a number of positions, and his fitness, work ethic and professional approach to matters, they're all top-notch.

A no-brainer to make him the captain in '06, should Claudio Reyna not make it.

9. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the changing of the guard.

2002 was Reyna's team. With him getting older and taking longer to recover from injuries it's high time that one of the young players get the "c" for now--no doubt it should be Donovan. He knows that with that label he has to work extra hard and he has to show that he is the one who is leading the troops on the pitch.

Until Reyna returns, it's his to keep.

10. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    so what if reyna plays only as a reserve player - a cobi-esque sub. Would donovan start with the band and then give it to reyna when he comes on?

11. CrewNorthEnder

CrewNorthEnder New Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Reyna won't even be playing, might not even make the trip to Germany '06....

Baby Jesus will be the wearer of the armband.....

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Captain Clint!

[​IMG]

13. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
  14. 1-X-2

1-X-2 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    i actually think bocanegra should be captain

15. i_heart_landon

i_heart_landon New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Columbus-for now
    I think it would depend on how involved Claudio is during the WCQ process. If he is in there and captaining for most of it I think Bruce will let him keep it in Germany. However, if he isn't fit for most of qualifying and therefore doesn't play in those games, I think it would be silly for BA to let him wear it in the WC because he hasn't re-proven himself to BA or the team that put them into the WC. In this case, I think Landon keeps it. And he keeps it the whole game, whether CR comes in or not.

16. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me the captain thing is overblown.

The players have a way of choosing their own captain regardless of who's wearing the armband.

17. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What has Reyna done for the team lately? He's been unavailable for games due to injury. He was sucking wind at the end of the Panama game and nearly allowed Panama to put the game away by failing to defend effectively. He has not been creative and is no more effective than those that have replaced him in the lineup -- I would argue that he is SIGNIFICANTLY less effective than his replacements. He has not been vocal or shown much leadership on the field. I also predict that Reyna won't be at 2006 due to either injury or retirement. How can you NOT take it from Reyna?

On the other hand, Donovan has earned it. He's been available for the qualifiers and friendlies. He's had an impact on the games. He's scored goals and changed the complexion of the games with his leadership. He's 22 and has been on the USMNT for over 3 years. He's a veteran.

Why wouldn't you let Donovan keep it? This is a no brainer. It's time for the changing of the guard. Donovan -- hands down!!!

18. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    maybe Keller, if he is playing as our goalie...or Friedel..