Capello: "I told Raúl that I need him to lead this team"

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Madrid_1902, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    http://www.realmadrid.com/articulo/rma32514.htm

This is Capello's latest press conference and i'm sure a lot of you have read this but I think that comment is particuarly striking. Most of us have been drawing up next years starting 11 with the exclusion of Raul. However, the fact that he said Raul is going to "lead the team" would suggest he is going to start. Raul was excellent until he got injured last season and I do hope that Capello gets the best out of him but should he be in the starting 11 against Villareal?

2. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    mmm.. big dark cloud starts forming..

3. awmhamodat

awmhamodat New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think capello still thinks he has the raul of 97 , hell see how much he has changed.The guy is washed up , hell be good coming of the bench this season.We can have his leadership in the locker rooms , but not on the field.Cannavaro and Casillas should be our leaders

4. Ronaldo:el phenomeno

Feb 17, 2006
    Springfield
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I agree. Del Piero role will suit Raul, I would still give him a fair share of starts to see how he does first though. As far as Villareal game goes though, I will give him the start if I was capello.

5. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    I would guess from his comments that Capello knows exactly the Raul that he has at his disposal and that this is not the Raul of 97. The idea that he has no idea about what has been going on here is frankly moronic.
    I find it quite ironic that a coach that a lot of us have been calling a mercenary has a better idea of the importance of Raul in this club, and also a damn sight more respect for a club legend, than some so called fans.

Rather than writing off Raul, we should be hoping that Capello can get him back to form....but of course that would mean one less new face,one less superstar signing...and of course that would be boring.:rolleyes:

I didn't want Capello as coach but hell...if he gets rid of fatboy and gets back Raul, I'll certainly start warming to him.

6. deVil_X

deVil_X Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bring us back our captain :eek:

7. halamadrid101484

halamadrid101484 New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Bahamas

U talk about respect for a legend and u call the greatest striker of all time fat and to get rid of him . I agree that Ronaldo is out of shape know and he said some dumb things an i 2 think we should cash him in when we can but the things said about R9 on this board are ignorant and it proves that alot of people on the RM forum are not real fans of the beautiful game . Please show the man some respect !! .

8. Butragueño

Butragueño Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Madrid
    Macaluca said club legend. Ronaldo is far from that.

9. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    I am a fan of Madrid, Raul is a Madrid legend...Ronaldo is not. End of.

10. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    Bloody hell...you are quick today....:D

11. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    haha thats true, what is that three times now. :D

Well its good to hear this from Capello but lets see what he actually does. Why did he not start DP at Juve? Hell he is better than IbraICantScoreToSaveMyLifehimovic. I Still dont like Capello though.

12. Ronaldooooo!

Ronaldooooo! O Fenomeno

Mar 23, 2006
    Raul? oh man, when is this guy gonna come out himself and say that he's good to be a bench player just like Del Piero.

13. polat_dgn

polat_dgn New Member

Apr 1, 2006
    ENGLAND
    Cannavaro should be our captain. :cool:

14. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Fatboy;) ( opps did I just say that about your man....*runs away* )

Um no.

15. polat_dgn

polat_dgn New Member

Apr 1, 2006
    ENGLAND
    Why not? As a leader, i think he is becoming more concentrated on his play and he is a winner. We saw that on World Cup. My vote goes for Cannavaro to be the captain.

16. halamadrid101484

halamadrid101484 New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Bahamas

What iam saying is R9 is a legend to the game like zidane etc.. it just drives me mad:mad: that every time one of these Raul fans talks about R9 they always take a stab at him . I never was a big fan of Raul but he WAS a good player but u dont see all the R9 fans taking shots at him every chance they get and we all know i could say some thingz about his form over the last couple of years .

17. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. Two leaders on the sideline instead of just one. :)

18. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I didn't know Ronaldo was such a leadership figure! :) :)

19. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Because thats not how captians are selected here. It goes by who have been here longer so he wont be captian, thats why.

20. polat_dgn

polat_dgn New Member

Apr 1, 2006
    ENGLAND
    ok, i understand. Then who would you prefer if that wasnt the way ?

21. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I dont think it matters to discuss this but still Raul.

22. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The level of disrespect for Raul on these boards is disgraceful. If you choose to put Real Madrid in your team choice then for God sake honour that. Do use really disrespect Raul this much when use are talking to neutrals or have use just started following Real Madrid since Ronaldo signed?? I don't give a bollocks if Ronaldo scored the goal against Barca this year or if he has been the top goal scorer for Real Madrid for the past 3 years. Where was he when Raul was guiding us to not one, not two but 3 Champions League titles and becoming the icon he is amongst Real Madrid "supporters" he is today. Raul is out of form, no shit, but just leave it at that. Show some appreciation to a man is on the same level as contribution to success as Di Stefano, Gento and Puskas. If I wanted a thread on "talking shit on Raul" then I would have asked for one but I didn't. Instead I wanted to talk about how Capello can get the best out of Raul. So if use want to lick the arse of Ronaldo and bullshit about Raul do it on some other thread or forum.. It really does get tiresome after a while.

23. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nice post, although I doubt it will change them.

Now to your origional question, it will depend, will Raul be a forward or in the midfield? I think if capello plays a 4-2-3-1 than we could use this

--------Emerson--CM------
    Robinho--------------Cassano
    -----------Baptista------
    -----------Raul?---------

I really dont know, we have too many support strikers and that is what Raul has been so...what to do?

24. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I was really impressed with Raul at the start of last season when he was playing just off Ronaldo. Luxa had just started using the 4-4-2 and Raul was getting the ball much more. When he was coming back from injury he was at the front of a 4-2-3-1 formation. He wasn't getting the best of service and he was coming deep so often, which left no-one up front. Capello needs to find someone who will get Raul into the game especially when we are playing against teams who are using a deep defensive line. Ronaldo always has the assurance that Guti will pick him out.

I'm sure Capello will experiment with several formations during the pre-season and it will be interesting to see where he plays Raul. Personally, I think he is going to play him alongside another striker. I was very happy that Capello said he has high hopes for Raul. Raul was effective and productive at the start of last year. Let's hope that he can rekindle that sort of form and that a nasty injury doesn't interfere.

25. Ronaldooooo!

Ronaldooooo! O Fenomeno

Mar 23, 2006
    Who here was talking shit about Raul? Nobody is disrespecting him, nobodys is calling him "a one leg chicken" or a washed up waste of space Spaniard.

Take it easy. I just think this is just bad news for all Madrid fans who put the team first or claim that. Raul was given a chance for ********ing 3 years but all we see is a shadow running around the pitch doing nothing. This resulted in 3 trophyless season. Owen was here but was sold in favor of Raul. Morientus was sold in favor of Raul. Robinho was benched plenty of times last season in favor of Raul.

Chicken head should just retire or accept the Del Piero role.