Pre-match: Can't believe it took this long for this thread, the 2024 Presidential election thread!

Discussion in 'Elections' started by ceezmad, Nov 7, 2020.

?

Who will be the 2 Candidates for the 2 big parties in 2024

1. Joe Biden

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. Kamala Harris

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Bernie Sanders

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Ted Cruz

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. Donald Trump (from prison)

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  6. One of the Trump idiots

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. A Never Trump Republican

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. The dude from Florida (not florida man)

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  9. A Trumpian Republican

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  10. Hail Grimes!

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's too bad we don't have a process where voters belonging to the parties picked a candidate from a pool of people. Then Democrats would have picked someone younger, like Kamala Harris, and Republicans would have picked someone more mainstream, like someone from the Bush family. Then there would be no way we would end up with Trump or Biden.

We could call it a "primary", I think. Ok, I'm not great an naming things.

2. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadtigers repped this.
  3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Deadtigers, charlie15 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yes, people / voters really think that they participate in direct democracy, direct decision making.:D
    Trump and Biden, they both look weird and they lost the touch with the reality. Which person would like to pick them? Even if you are eager fan of Democratic or Republican Party, why would anyone pick them? It makes no sense. Trump was in Democratic Party since 2001 until 2009. His fans justify this with: "He was a Trojan Horse, he wanted to change the way how elites operate?":D

Fans of both parties are just brainwashed. They feel certain commitment, obligation. They feel that they make decisions.:cool: They even fight, discuss between each other. These incidents at Columbia University are politically orchestrated. Ignorants will end in prison, 5, 10 years. Thos who organised these riots, will get better job or party positions.:D Parties need idiots for the street incidents, riots, protests...:D

Parties pick older candidates, because parties want to redeem to their party soldiers, candidates who work for the party since 70's, 80's...parties just create silly social movements, based on race, religion, human rights...technically speaking, who cares? No one. We can't pick our race anyway.:D

Stay at home guys, don't vote...:thumbsup:

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it is totally unsurprising....

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If ever there was a group of contrarians who would join the fascist cadres it was those guys

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting, just so @Dr. Wankler can enjoy the read like the rest of us do. :D

chaski, Dr. Wankler and song219 repped this.
  8. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Now that's just being cruel!

9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is how a TOTL would operate

superdave repped this.
  10. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK now that is funny.

Humor Monitor has spoken!

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No problem. It just confirmed my "this is highly ignorable content" decision from days gone by.

bigredfutbol, xtomx and soccernutter repped this.
  12. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  13. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    There are no any differences. The same people arrive and leave.

George Clinton: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Clinton_(vice_president)

Prominent figures of Confederate States were Democrats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Davis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_H._Stephens

These guys could be re-established again, supporters of Trump would apply here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whig_Party_(United_States)

Some investigations showed that they are all related with the king who signed Magna Carta. So, voters have a good nose for history.:D

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I saw him on Bill Maher last week and I must say I don't understand why anyone would support him. No charisma at all, and didn't seem particularly intelligent, either.

bigredfutbol and Deadtigers repped this.
  17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Are you talking about RFK Jr or Bill Maher? :cautious:

Either will do.

bigredfutbol, Deadtigers, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  18. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having to listen to RFKJr’s voice for four years would be only 1% less awful than a Trump win.

OK I exaggerate.

2%.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  19. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You can vote and make the decision. The party decided instead of you, not you or anyone else.:)

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naw, man. He was mocking you because you're claiming civil war era Democrats are the same as modern era Democrats. Next you'll be going on about Strom Thurmond.

Never mind that it is the current Republican party that has people running for office with ties to the Klan

https://apnews.com/article/missouri...ku-klux-klan-e5bed64799f1fe8e7d2040cb52c27d44

and Neo-Nazis

https://ncnewsline.com/briefs/nc-go...zi-connections-allowed-to-stay-on-the-ballot/

xtomx repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2024-5-3_16-30-20.jpeg

22. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where to put this since I don't want to participate in the [insert] War thread(s).*

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/04/1249023924/kent-state-shooting-activists-protests-survivor

She survived the 1970 Kent State shooting. Here's her message to student activists

[Roseann "Chic" Canfora, student at Kent State in 1970] says she sees similarities with the students who are protesting at college campuses across the country today, calling for a cease-fire in Gaza and university divestment from companies linked to Israel.

"They at least know that they don't want any famine and suffering and death done in their name," she says. "And so it's inspiring to see them having similar conversations that we had, saying 'We don't like what we're seeing and we need to speak out against it.' "

Canfora says she can't talk about the use of excessive force — then and now — without "tying it to the inflammatory rhetoric that inspired that force."

Nixon referred to student protesters as "bums," while then-California Gov. Ronald Reagan said "if it takes bloodbath" to deal with campus demonstrators "let's get it over with." On May 3, Ohio Gov. Jim Rhodes described campus demonstrators as "the worst type of people that we harbor in America."

Canfora also draws parallels between the misinformation that ran rampant then and today, noting that "excuses" for the use of excessive force on campus began immediately after the shooting.

Students had two hours to leave campus, and she remembers watching the theories take off on television from her family's house.

"I had an aunt that came into our home while my brother was still bandaged from his wound saying, 'You know, there was a sniper [threatening the Guardsmen],'" she says. "It was very difficult for middle America to believe that American soldiers would turn their guns on American people without some provocation."

[Current Kent State University President Todd Diacon] also echoes Canfora's point that the shootings did not happen in a vacuum — both in that they were not the only campus protests, and they followed an "dehumanization and demonization of opponents" due to increasingly polarizing rhetoric over the Vietnam War.

"If not a college campus, where else in our society, in this democracy, can we count on large groups of people to do exactly what these college students are doing: paying attention to the world, looking at what is being done in the world ... and coming up with strategies for opposing it if they don't agree with it?" Canfora asks. "That's healthy. That shouldn't be something that is feared."
    When the police went in with force, my mom said it reminded her of Kent State, and she was worried somebody was going to get shot. One thing that I see with the current actions of the universities, and of the police, is the general acceptance of violence, not just that is might occur, but that it will.

* - To much fanboying of violence, weapons, and lack of concern about civilian deaths.

xtomx, charlie15 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  24. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Historic intervals are being repeated over and over.:) Francis Scott Key was a slave owner in Maryland. He wrote the US anthem. He shaped the Supreme Court also, he aided Andrew Jackson by being his personal advisor, the wealthy Southern slave owner and the member of Democratic Party.:) Today it’s all about silence, being neutral, progressive. So, today’s Democrats don’t have anything with those earlier Democrats?:D Are you absolutely sure? The ancestors of today’s US politicians were not involved in slave trading? Whoever lived in at least 18th century with some land lord impression, he had to have some aid.
    We just avoid certain terminology today. Large part of today’s Africa had the name Negroland, the official maps of 17th, 18th century. Today, its Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, etc.
    Ancestors of today’s Democratic Party never had cotton fields? No one has ancestry in South?;)
    Even here in Big Soccer. Fans of Democratic Party, what was the role of your ancestors in shaping America?

Today’s Republican politicians just aim on those periods, 16th, 17th, 18th, Civil War 1861. Because they know that there are many people who admire those periods. But I doubt that today’s Republican politicians are sincere racists. Everyone has in his street, building someone who belongs to other race. More or less we are all adjusted that races exist.

Both parties aim on racial topics, women rights, LGBTIQ rights, wars abroad, natural resources…
    Democrats won but the leader of Me Too movement was unhappy recently. Democrats won the elections thanks to that topic, Black Lives Matter, George Floyd…

Floyd died on 25th May 2020. I don’t see commemoration, remembering him at least on X, Instagram…no one cares actually. But he was useful topic in 2020. We will probably see the fans of Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X…after the elections, the same atmosphere will continue. The racism, the Hood, fear of Latinos who are climbing over the fence. Democrats are holding this fence on Mexican border.:D We don’t see Berlin Wall atmosphere. Latinos are suitable for both parties, cheaper labour force, they buy weapons for their conflicts, nobody is stopping the weapon production. Both parties produce and export.:cool: The infrastructure in many states is much weaker, lack of investments.
    Are US companies returning their production in USA? Not really. It’s still in Asia.:D
    It only matters how we communicate today, what do we avoid in political campaigns.

One question. If you are an White American, how many of close friends do you have of other races? Specifically, African-American, or friends from Mexico, Honduras, Nicaragua, Haiti, Jamaica…Cuba…with evident non-European background?

The same question is directed towards African-Americans, Mexicans, Haitians, etc. whose best friends are Americans with pure European background?

My example. I don’t meet Africans, Mexicans, etc. in my circle of life. I don’t see them in my company, they weren’t in my university. Why? It’s not my fault. I applied for my university, after that I applied in my company. How come I never had anyone from Pakistan, India, Africa, Mexico in my seminar group, or in my generation during the lectures? And I live in a Democratic state, not in Idaho, Iowa…:D

The ways of life were never connected. Since I am white of 100% European origins, I had different path. Some might say: the better path. For me: an ordinary path. Because I never experienced the other paths.

That’s why I will stay at home. The path of someone from Senegal never crossed or touched my path, the path of someone with Azteca, Inca background also never touched my path. During my lectures: English, Irish, Scottish, German, French, Swedish, Norwegian, Italian, etc. surnames were around me. And all of them were aware of that fact. American, but with strong roots.:D There you go…our Democracy.:rolleyes: They just exchange. Now Republicans might win…in 2028 Democrats again. Exchanged parties, topics, some topics end, another one starts…:p
    Both parties literally serve their Spitzenkandidaten or the Supreme Candidate. In 2028, 2032 some other candidates will flourish…these ones will probably vanish.

Elections for European Parliament are also very soon. Several topics: climate changes, cheaper households, migrations, wars abroad…the same.

25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That thread you didn’t mention is truly a massive shitshow. The complete lack of empathy and compassion there is truly shocking. The glee from some on violence inflicted on protesters is as repulsive as well.

SetPeace, soccernutter and xtomx repped this.