Pre-match: Can't believe it took this long for this thread, the 2024 Presidential election thread!

Discussion in 'Elections' started by ceezmad, Nov 7, 2020.

?

Who will be the 2 Candidates for the 2 big parties in 2024

1. Joe Biden

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. Kamala Harris

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Bernie Sanders

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Ted Cruz

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. Donald Trump (from prison)

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  6. One of the Trump idiots

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. A Never Trump Republican

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. The dude from Florida (not florida man)

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  9. A Trumpian Republican

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  10. Hail Grimes!

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dapip, Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mom has MSNBC on in the other room...

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haley won the DC Republican Primary. OMG, this changes everything!

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Half seriously, it's historic in the sense that she's the first woman to win a Republican presidential primary, I think.

Less seriously, Trump is gonna be so mad about this lmao

He's going to advocate for moving the capital to West Palm Beach or something.

4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Pyrrhic, but oh so sweet! :inlove:

DC for statehood.

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We can thank the mainstream and right wing media. Has anyone interviewed the same people they interviewed when inflation was sky high, I guarantee they didn't. That family of 9 is never to be heard from again, nor the guy that has to drive 3 hours roundtrip to get to work.

dapip and soccernutter repped this.
  6. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Good post. One quibble (apologies if this has already been addressed)….but singling out Fox News kinda lets the rest of the media, which are also culpable in spreading this misinformation by the “people are saying, we’re reporting what they’re saying” “reporting” method, off the hook.

Edit: should have kept reading

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree with this.

And to make matters worse, he's physically not wearing his age as well right now. He moves slow and looks frail (which can be expected for an 80 year old). This compounds his problem.

Finally, because he is relative normal in what he says, he doesn't wear his mental slips and short circuits very well.

That's in stark contract to Trump where I think it's easier to hide his clear mental decline and mental short circuits. I say that because Trump comes off as being really ********ing weird to the average, less engaged voter. He's always come off that way though. So, his mental short circuits and word salads just play into his overall persona to the average voters that he's a simply a weird ass dude.

dapip and Deadtigers repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    PSA had depressing coverage. as things stand Biden is clearly losing. of course it is still early and the economic good news is a lagging indicator. but i worry his age is the real issue and its locked in.

soccernutter repped this.
  9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is strange, because Biden has always been a gaffe machine... I think the big issue is that the media is now using Biden's gaffes to question his mental acuity, while, like you said, they are attributing Trump's gaffes to his weirdness.

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And there's nothing they can do to combat that perception, because Biden looks old as shit basically whenever they try to do it. Jon Stewart had a good bit on Biden's sharpness in his Daily Show return, with all these people in the administration saying things like "you don't see him commanding meetings like I do," etc. If that were true, they'd be blasting clips of those meetings to the heavens.

It was incredibly selfish of Biden to run again. People like to point to the polls of someone like Whitmer getting trounced by Trump in the general, but that's all name recognition at this point. If you put any serious politician under the age of 60 next to Trump (or Biden, for that matter), the obvious age and energy discrepancy would have them winning this thing by close to double digits.

Of national figures who are seriously talked about as potential presidential candidates, Trump is the only Republican Biden might beat, and Biden is the only Democrat Trump might beat. They're locked into this death struggle together, and we're going down with them.

Val1 repped this.
  11. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

His age is the issue (it shouldn't be, given the orange idiot's age) and he is only going to get older.

When I talk to friends in New Zealand, Australia, Cook Islands, the UK, France, etc., they always mention Biden's age. These are not voters mentioning his age, these are people from around the world with an eye on what's going on here. If they are aware of his age, then voters are going to be aware of it.

This is why I am not sitting comfortably or optimistic. I don't think people fully appreciate how much impact this can have.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why surrogates need to be out there all the time. Not just to counter the age issue, specifically, but to show that Biden has a team around him that is quality.

dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, Biden needs to be out more. The best way for him to counter the mental acuity charge is to be out and about..

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  14. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, similar to his appearance on Late Night with Seth Meyers. He did great and showed that he is mentally there. Going down for ice cream afterwards was also a positive move to show how relatable he is, unlike someone else on his golden toilet.

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's March, November is eight months away.

charlie15 and diablodelsol repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with that, is that if Biden makes 1 single error in any interview like the Mexican President of Egypt thin, that is all social media and real media will talk about.

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that could be another reason why it isn’t sticking with Trump. Trump has daily events where he stands in front of a crowd and makes stupid comments.

18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Noticeably, the age discourse stopped when he made that appearance.

Should be said that whenever certain right wing luminaries go on TV, mainly mainstream outlets they get picked apart. Moms for Liberty is going through it right now with their interviews (Along with also just being so toxic).

Deadtigers and Sounders78 repped this.
  19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think once it gets closer to November it might. Even Fox is cutting away from him whenever he starts rambling.

20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the Republicans have their convention, are they going to show rambly racist grampa Trump accept the nomination with his speech in full, or will they cut away? His dementia is only getting more noticable.

21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    which i said in my post

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know what he is talking about when they cut away? Is he talking about 2020 being stolen? Fox has been very quick to make disclaimers since they lost the lawsuit..

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Many will cut away. Some because they don't want to give him air time to proclaim how he is the victim, others because they want to protect him to increase his chances of being elected. It's a win-win scenario for him.

24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That was one of them I believe. There's a clip I saw the other day where they cut pretty quick.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Fox is going to cut really quick from Trump saying there was election fraud because they don't want to add fuel to the pending Smartmatic case, or give Dominion another bite at the apple. I wouldn't say that situation is evidence of Fox not wanting to show him ramble incoherently.