Cannon signs [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJfuture, Aug 14, 2003.

1. SJfuture

SJfuture New Member

May 25, 2001
    Livermore, CA
  2. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Good. Onstad for MVP.

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with the majority of them over there. Why do they need Cannon? Garlick won't be happy sitting, and neither will Joey. Only thing this could be is a trade in the works - deadline August 20th.

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of draft picks for Joe Cannon? Say it ain't so! (No offense to Onstead, though.)

5. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onstad has done a good job but I don't think he is as good as Joe. The worst part about losing Cannon is he didn't accomplish what he had hoped too when he left and now he will play against us instead.

6. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be worse. If he'd signed for a French second division team, we'd have gotten Jacques Merde in return. (No, Jacques does not play for the French Nats.)

7. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Cannon signs

I wish he'd gone somewhere else .

Joey can haunt us in the playoffs.

8. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Cannon signs

I wonder, as most Colorado posters do, if there isn't more to the story. Maybe a "sign & trade" deal where Joe ends up somewhere else, we get a player from somewhere else and Colorado gets a passle of draft picks?

I can't see Joe being worth solely future picks...whether he was in our plans or not.

9. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    I think that Yves is friends with Jacques Merde.

10. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    Cannon signs

Cannon is out of form & hasn't played in a serious match since the 45 minutes he logged with the Nats....

Onstad has a better team in front of him and is rarely challenged...and is FY's #1.....and fits into the system....

I am fine with this....

11. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looking at it from my perspective, Joey deciding to leave the Quakes was a VERY bad move. But obviously it's not my decision and it's not my career. It just makes me sad to see how things turned out. Hopefully his re-signing with MLS will turn things around for him.

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Cannon signs

I doubt it. Who is Colorado going to trade Joe to?

Chicago - No
    Metros - No
    NE - No
    DC - No
    Columbus - No

LA - No
    KC - No (unless Meola is retiring at the end of the season)
    Dallas - No (Young keeper, but they need field players. Would have kept Jordan)

So, if it's proven that Joe has signed and goes to Colorado for draft choices (better something than nothing), then he will probably compete for the number one starting job. However, he may have to sit this year unless Garlick gets out of form (I.e. If it's not broke, don't fix. See Zizi Roberts).

Frankly, unless Joe is making a lot more money than with the Quakes (I doubt it), he screwed himself. Too bad.

I'm going to hate having to explain to my kids why Joe is playing for another MLS team...

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Cannon signs

Wondering out loud here whether Joe sees this as the shortest route to more time with the Nats.

He sees what's happened to Barrett...now that he's in Europe he's totally off BA's scope. He knows that Friedel and Keller are getting on in years and don't represent the future...and with Howard off at ManU, who's left domestically for Joe to compete with? Brown? Thornton? Rimando?

Given that taste of Nats play, it wouldn't surprise me if that entered into his decision.

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Cannon signs

I'm sure that was part of it. How could that not be on his mind? But he should have thought of that before he jumped ship. I think this is the place where his career has suffered most.

Now if he goes to Colorado and sits (should Garlick remain the starter), then how does that help his Nats career? I just can't see Joe signing to sit if this was his first concern.

15. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    I personally applaud the move, seeing as how much Joe had meant to the organization, it certainly took alot of courage on Johnny Moore's part to trade him away, especially to a division rival. I see it as a clear sign in Yallop's confidence, not only with Onstad, but with Saunders.

This deal can only be a confidence booster both to Onstad and to Saunders. What it means is Onstad won't have to worry about another guy coming in and fighting for his spot, and it also means that the team may be keen on re-signing him for another season come this season's end.

As for Saunders, it means that the starting job will be his if he continues to develop as he can and shows the promise that his coaches in Portland have seen. I'm really excited about Josh's progress, and his loan to Portland is definitely a step in the right direction in terms of Yallop's always continuing progress with his young players.

16. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Cannon signs

Well, considering the level of newly signed youth players in this league - two additional draft picks could be a good thing (imagine another Dunivant and another Alvarez joining the team next year)

17. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Cannon signs

I sem to recall , that Yvvvvvves has personally held every Jacques and every Merde in a warm , yet reassuringly , platonic embrace, in order fulfill their lives' abmitions.

18. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    Cannon signs

the Quakes would have an extra left back and left middfielder on the bench?

:D;)

19. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Cannon signs

Nope, I hope next year they will be after right-footed player .... "San Jose Earthquakes: Improving One Flank At A Time"

20. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not at all pleased with this move...

What happens if Onstad goes down late in the season or the playoffs? Would YOU feel comfortable sticking Jon Conway in goal?!

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onstad's better at initiating attack.

22. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems that Johnny Moore and Frank Yallop share (or at least shared) that viewpoint.

23. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Why pay a guy the league max just for him to sit on the bench? It's like the Fabien Barthez/Roy Carrol/Tim Howard situation at Manchester United. Why on earth would you pay a guy five million pounds a year just to ride the pine?

While I'm not too happy with Jon Conway's performance this season, at least he's a more capable back-up than say, Bo Oshoyoni. Either way, I personally think it's a smart move for the Quakes (my earlier post is obviously testament to that so it's not worth repeating), possibly freeing cap room (think future, not present) and giving us some more future options (both in Saunders and with the pending draft picks.)

24. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Why trade a guy for nothing and give him the possibility of beating us in the MLS cup final?

25. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Because he can't beat us in the MLS Final (let's not forget that it's changed to East v. West format - which I don't like I might add) maybe?

My thinking is this; we weren't going to get anything for Cannon anyway (I'm surprised we were still able to retain his rights) so why not trade him? Yallop likes (like any coach) to stick with a winning formula. He would have stuck with Onstad and merely had Joe sitting on the bench, taking up cap room.

I much prefer having a prospect in the wings in Saunders, and re-signing Onstad to a one-year contract, then having a cap liability in Cannon. He had his chance to re-sign, was rightly disgusted with the offer, and chose to try his hand abroad. I don't fault Johnny Moore and Frank Yallop at all.