Cannon, Guevara, Moreno up for MVP

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Tyler66, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
  2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe "Bazooka" Cannon. Moreno a close second...

3. Hugh DeMann

Hugh DeMann New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    I am a Metrostars fan, but I could not vote for Geuvara for two reasons: first, 5 of his goals were PKs, none of which resulted from fouls he drew, and second, his way-too-frequent and outlandish dissent.

4. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe's da man this year. He's class on and off the field, and the main reason the Rapids are in the playoffs.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    It's basically a two horse race between Cannon and Moreno since Guevara hasn't been MVP calibre for weeks. Plus add in the fact that Guevara is just a straight scumbag.

So, I'm going to go with Moreno.

If he doesn't play this year for DC, it's just 2003 all over again.

No Moreno, no midfield dominance, no clutch Eskandarian goal scoring, no nothing.

You can argue that Cannon was equally important for Colorado, but I don't think he affected as many as aspects of Colorado's game as Jaime did for DC.

AND Jaime came out of a position where everyone had written him off. He's had major surgery, plus the stigma of being pretty much ineffective for the past 5 years. What was Jaime in March? A last minute, cheap signing with a lukewarm reception from DC fans. Everyone knew what Cannon was capable of. No one in March 2004 would've ever bet on Jaime being the new dominant playmaker in this league.

And from what I gather, Jaime is just a wonderful guy, who always has time for autographs and photos for fans after games. His quote in my sig is evidence enough of his love for the DC United faithful.

There is no doubt in my mind that Jaime Moreno is the Most Valuable Player in MLS 2004.

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jaime Moreno *clap clap, clap clap clap clap* Jaime Moreno!

7. frcool

frcool Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Jaime Moreno - for being a team leader and producing consistently all season long.

Comeback player of the year too.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I personally don't think a Goalkeeper should by the MVP of the league. Don't get me wrong, I love Cannon's contribution to the Rapids this year. I think of this award in a similar way to baseball's MVP, where pitcher's are usually not considered. There's a separate and prestigious award for them, the Cy Young. Same thing here. There's a Goalkeeper of the year award. He'll get that, and it's well deserved.

Guevara the second half of the year has been abysmal. There's just no way he gets it. The first half of the year he was a true difference maker during the run of play. I was truly impressed. But the award is for the whole season.

9. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon not getting MVP this year is AN ABSOLUTE CRIME

Cannon embodies the spirit and lifeblood of our club.....the Rapids ARE NOT the Rapids without Joe Cannon, period. His leadership and amazing attitude are the force behind our Defensive strength this year and our general on the pitch teamwork in light of a sorry ass manager. Joe Cannon, not anyone else, carried this team into the playoffs. HE IS THE REASON WHY WE'RE IN THE POSTSEASON. No one else can claim that for their team at all.

Furthermore after seeing Joe's performance last Friday there really should be no more doubt in anyone's mind that Cannon is the MLS MVP, period.

10. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Postseason doesn't count for these awards, they have already been decided.

I voted Jaime Moreno b/c I think he helped DC win more than the other 2 helped their teams.

11. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i voted for cannon because guevara didn't have that great a season and moreno is a piece of scum

12. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

FYP

Even Metro fans have to admit that. Don't let the whole rivalry thing cloud your judgement.

14. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Couldnt have said it better.