candidates to replace Fawcett

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by sexysadie, Oct 11, 2003.

1. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    1. Sobrero
    2. Jen Grubb
    3. Michelle French

2. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Kate definately.
    Cat reddick too

she's good out wide... but we will eventually need a center. Cat has the booming leg Carla had.

3. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    No one has as booming a leg as Jen Grubb. When the hell is she going to be invited back? Didn't she grow up with Debbie Keller? Maybe that explains it.

4. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Joy's not going anywhere until after the Olympics. So this is not even worth the debate. Grubb is, well, not fast to be polite. She also has a tendency to make errors under pressure. Is she worth an invite to camp. Yes, probably. But I don't see her making the roster. I would not take her at this point.

5. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth

Joy won't leave this team until whenever she wants to, she's still the best center back up to now

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    wasn't boxx originally a center back?

7. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I like Jen a lot. At the WUSA level.

But not all really good club players make the transition to the international level.

Of course we won't know till she tries (again).

8. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I think that's more true of cherry-picking forwards than other positions.

But your last point is my main point - I could see her coming into camp and not meshing or something. But the way she's been playing in WUSA it's tough to justify not even getting a look.

9. YOMITTS

YOMITTS New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    I'LL just say did we see the halftime remarks by a certin soccer player doring the world cup. Maybe she should have been on this team the whole time. Sorry still bitter

10. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Get over it. Defense was not the problem. Creating in the final third and finishing was the problem. Mitts was not the missing link in that department. I would not have chosen Mitts over any of the defenders April picked. Your a bit biased wouldn't you say?

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'd like to see Nancy Augustyniak given a run. I have no idea if she's up to it at the international level, but I was very impressed with her play this year in the WUSA.

She had a blinder of a game against Abby Wambach in the Founders Cup. A lesser performance by a central defender and Abby might have had 5 or 6 goals.

12. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    there were two NY power's midfielders who impressed me, one was Boxx and the other one i forget the name, she was kinda skinny but very tough and technical (or she might be Boston's midfielder), i thought April would call her up to the camp

13. YOMITTS

YOMITTS New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Slaton , Bivens please maybe even Cristy P.Fan of Mitts yes. The facts are 3rd place with Slaton and Bivens and Heather made the a fact.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Can you restate that in English?

15. tobycharles

tobycharles Member

Feb 8, 2001
    What about Wambach? Yeah yeah I know she is a "forward" but she has the makeup to be a very good central defender and she can always go forward on set pieces.

16. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I could see Abby as the replacement to Joy's replacement. Does that make sense? Anyhow I see Abby scoring and dishing out assists for the next 6-8 years. I don't think squandering her scoring touch would be the best move for the team, unless some sort of uber-Abby emerges. Maybe she could pull a Brandi and anchor the back line at 30-32. My only fear is that her superior size might work against her in the foul department. The referees (at all levels) always seem to call the foul on the big chicks.

17. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    She'd actually be an interesting choice to move to center back, with Reddick. If Boxx were up to it, then Fawcett could move back to right back, where she could devastate opposing teams with her offensive runs.

18. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    And...she could let any forward with pace beat her outside. The best move April made was to place Fawcett in the center.

I thought that she was finished before the Cup, but her play in the middle gave her career new life.
    ( Good Gad! I never thought I'd say that! )

19. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    nope. not this go around.

get over it.