Candidates to host 2031 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, May 1, 2024.

1. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Early interest:

• China (w/Hong Kong)
    • Morocco
    • South Africa
    • United Staes & Mexico
    • England & Ireland
    • Spain
    The host nation for the 2031 Women's World Cup is scheduled to be decided by the FIFA Congress in the second quarter of 2025, a year after the host selection for the 2027 edition, with bid regulations for approval in the second quarter of 2024.

2. AhiTun4

AhiTun4 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 16, 2024
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For China and HK, they also want Macau (I guess to "reintegrate" the SARs).

England also wants Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland to join.

Personally I think the US is probably getting it since it's been a while. The UK and Ireland may wait for 2035 where their main competition will be Saudi Arabia.

Spain and Morocco kind of fall under the same problem of being a year after 2030. If the US withdrew their 2027 bid, then it doesn't look good for having back to back men's and women's tournaments. South Africa could be a dark horse but the problem is they don't have a clear vision for their bid, they just say we want to but then decide they don't have enough time and defer it.

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    A lot of the votes have probably been decided prior to the WWC 2027 vote.

toad455 repped this.
  4. AhiTun4

AhiTun4 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 16, 2024
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did each confederation make special deals with each other to ensure voting blocs for bids?

I guess so...I mean none of the bids are invalid.

Had Europe won 2027 hosting, then England and Spain would be out. Given that China voted for them, I could see them make an agreement to support each other unless one withdraws (though UEFA and AFC could be working together). Perhaps as I alluded to on another forum, the US throwing support for Brazil is possibly hope that they will back us next time in 2031 (though CONCACAF and CONMEBOL are already working close together).

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope South Africa.

6. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    China voted for BNG but Hong Kong voted for Brazil.

7. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    UK (with or without Rep. Ireland).

It is inconceivable that three consecutive WCs would be held outside Europe.

Despite Brazil winning last week I have doubts about the commercial viability of their WC and believe that the BNG bid would have been a more commercially lucrative competition, even if the FIFA evaluation report said otherwise.

8. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    There was similar scepticism for Australia and NZ, but they proved the sceptics wrong. Give Brazil a chance.

Cheetah101 and toad455 repped this.
  9. AhiTun4

AhiTun4 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 16, 2024
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really Brazil needs to not be so harsh on American tourists by making them get visas. They'll probably be the ones to travel the most to Brazil and many have already been planning now.

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Visa are a revenue source, no one will want to give up on easy money. As well as a security tool.

11. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    It is a two-way street: USA requires visas for BRA nationals too.

Given BRA's moderate US visa refusal rate, it is unlikely that BRA nationals will be granted automatic US visitor visas anytime soon. Therefore, BRA will continue to reciprocate.

It all boils down to a lack of diplomatic agreements.

AhiTun4 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  12. AhiTun4

AhiTun4 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 16, 2024
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I can understand why they feel this way but given that Brazil does rely heavily on tourism this could bite them (I don't really know about this too much so yeah). Regardless of how you view Bolsonaro, I'll give him credit for dropping requirements for Americans during his tenure (though this probably was more of Brazil and the United States getting along much better during this period, so it wasn't too hard to convince the Brazilian government to do this).

13. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Actually, current events show we could be talking out of our butts... could be.

https://apnews.com/article/brazil-visa-requirement-us-exemption-4a207b196d1da242f94b9bbfe4339b75

Current Lula administration has done the same Bolsanaro's: temporary exemptions for tourist visas, revised on a yearly basis because no diplomatic agreements are signed.

As of Apr 2024, tourist exemption for US nationals was extended until Apr 2025.

According to the Brazilian embassy to the US, a 10-year tourist visa costs 80.90 USD.
    US nationals can certainly save 81 bucks by 2027.

https://br.usembassy.gov/message-fo...nement-of-brazilian-visa-requirement-to-2025/

AhiTun4 and SiberianThunderT repped this.