Candidates for the job

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by sendorange, Sep 22, 2003.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What i cannot believe is some hack writers are sitting there and saying Graham should not have been sacked. That's absolute garbage and clearly they didn't pay any attention to his spell in charge. He p*ssed away millions on crap players (5 mill on Thatcher, 4.5 mill on Sherwood, 11 mill on Rebrov, 4 mill on Perry etc..). His style of football was completely outdated and routinely exposed, it may have worked for A*senal in the 80's, but things change, and his results were poor, even Christian Gross had a better points per game average in a shorter time in charge (!). The only thing Graham had to show for his time was a very lucky league cup win, which we were fortunate to get and was not as big an achievement as Glenn leading us past Chelski in the semis a couple of years ago. His Premiership results were worse than Glenn's and we were going backwards at an horrific rate. It's a complete myth to think that Graham was sacked for playing bad football, he was sacked because he was taking us nowhere.

Getting rid of Graham was the best thing ENIC have done, even Alan Sugar admitted after he sold the club to ENIC that appointing Graham and giving him all that money to throw away was his biggest mistake. There's a reason why Graham has not been given another job despite putting his name forward for just about everything since, i.e. West Ham recently.

Glenn did a decent job in chopping out the dead wood, he should have been smarter in earning us more money back, but at least he pushed us forwards and made us stronger.

2. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    After every weekend, the idea of Souness leaving for Spurs appeals more. You can have him on one condition: you take Lorenzo Amoruso as well :). I may have been harsh about Spurs in the past, but please get Souness, he's taken us as far as he can. And only give him 3 years, before it all goes wrong like it is at Blackburn.

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heh, well at the rate David Pleat is going, Souness won't get a look in.

http://www.ontheminute.com/news/UK/news.asp?id=3549

I really hope the club can find a place for David Ginola, he loves us, and I think he would be great to have around, even if only as some form of club ambassador or spokesman.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, though I'd add Robson.

Doubt that del Bosque would come, but I don't want him anyway.

5. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bryan Robson is out. He's just signed a 3 year contract with Nigeria. Whoopee!

Pleat has said there will be no approach to Antic, because they're friends and it'd look like nepotism.

Hiddink has been offered a role as director at PSV next season. He's out.

Gullit, Gregory, and Ginola are just joke names.

Perryman would be interseting, but I'm not sure we want 'interesting' right now.

6. glorygloryspurs

glorygloryspurs New Member

Jul 18, 2002
    bronx ny
    If I hear the name Glen Roeder I'm going to yak.

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.spurs.co.uk/article.asp?article=167581

Nice to see Clive Allen back, not too sure about his coaching qualifications, but he's been on TV a lot though over the past year or two and has always been articulate and well mannered. He gets on well with Pleat of course, hopefully he'll be able to do a good job while we await the new manager.

8. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Good Ole' Clive

9. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep, he's very enthusiastic. I wasn't aware he'd coached at England youth level, I suppose he does have more credentials than I gave him credit for. Kudos to Clive, I'm sure he'll do a great job. I was never keen on Calderwood.

http://www.spurs.co.uk/article.asp?article=167660

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/articles/7207070?source=Evening

Hoddle's thoughts on being sacked.

Just a shame he couldn't have dumped Gorman off to Wycombe when he was still in charge, and also signed that defensive midfielder.

But to be honest I think he should accept that he just wasn't capable of consistently getting the best out of the players at the club.