Candidates for the job

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by sendorange, Sep 22, 2003.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.thisislondon.com/sport/football/articles/6819159

I like the Hiddink link. He's a great coach and I think he could be the man. I don't think compensation would be that big a problem and he would surely give us a massive profile boost, modernise things like the fitness side (which we desperately need) and bring on the young players while keeping the passing football. Go Guus!

I'm sure O'Neill would not really want to move to us, although let's face it, we've got a squad with a good deal of potential which surely someone like him could motivate to start producing a lot more than they have done in the last ten years. It would put him back in the Premiership spotlight and give yet another big boost to his reputation - he'd be the man who got Spurs winning. The only issue is that surely a ManYoo (when Ferguson retires) or more likely Liverpool (when they get sick of Houllier) will move for him and he would then move to them. That might mean only a couple of years of him in charge, hardly a longrunning reign. We'd have to wait until January, and only then if Celtic get knocked out of the Champions League and fail to give him the cash he wants in the transfer market. Which surely they would do if faced with losing him, and I think that's why he's not quelling the speculation. He's holding a gun to the Celtic board's head.

Raddy Antic is the dark horse, I'm going to gauge opinion on him from the Barcelona fans, but I think he would be a cut-price temp at best. Not exactly the inspiring leader we need.

Curbs is interesting, but his record over the past year with Charlton has been patchy. It's uncertain whether he could make the step up to leading a team past midtable, which is what we want to aim to do.

Just for fun, and as a reward for reading this far. Here's David throwing his hat into the ring. God love him :D

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,685193,00.html

2. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Of those coaching choices, Hiddink is the only one I'd really like to see. In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I think Souness would get results but not be too much fun to watch. I'm still not sure about Curbishly. I'd prefer it not be Antic, and I sure hope it isn't Troussier ... that would make me sick.

As for Hiddink, PSV is trying very hard to keep him, as they've recently given him an even larger role (and stake?) in the club. I wouldn't be so sure that we could get him even if he was our first choice. But I agree, his first move would likely be to bring Van Bommel to fill the Dmid void, then he'd probably change us to a 442 team with Ziege and Davies as wing midfielders and Konchesky and Carr as fullbacks. That ought to help our defensive woes.

As for the attack ... I'm not sure how that would impact, as I fear our problems are in Postiga and Zamora adjusting to the Premiership rather than motivation, tactics or generating chances.

-Digital

3. Decent Guy

Decent Guy New Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Outside NY
    I'm liking Raddy Antic, he turned both Barca and earlier Atletico around in only a single season.

4. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Count out McLeish and Souness, and put Antic as a frontrunner.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Antic definitely seems the favorite due to the Pleat connection, his availability and the fact that he proved with Barcelona that he can revive an underachieving team without spending money.

I'd expect him to be given a one or two year contract, although the board will most likely at least sound out McLeish and O'Neill first, just in the faint hope that one of them will say yes.

Poor Curbs, every time this position comes up he gets strongly linked, but just hasn't quite done enough to get it.

Here's some news on Hiddink and Toppmoeller - the latest overseas candidate.

http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/q3183.html

http://www.thisislondon.com/sport/football/articles/6836039 - positive article on Hiddink.

Also here's Bryan Robson throwing his hat into the ring:
    http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,685562,00.html

Robson needs to rebuild himself at a smaller club first, there's no good him throwing his hat into the ring for jobs like this, he didn't do badly at Middlesborough, but spent a fortune doing it, which turns club chairmen off.

6. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    kicker reports that Toppmöller flew to London for negotiations. Also Antic remains a candidate according to them.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a fan of Toppmöller. Though he does do well defensively.

8. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    German Press play down Toppmoller link

http://www.glory-glory.net/news/show_story.asp?story_id=159

Phew!

Latest news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/3128006.stm

9. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Hmm.. a tough one this.

I'd like to see Ginola involved somewhere, a coach or assistant or something.

Apart from that...

I think Antic is likely, as he's pally with Pleaty.

O'Neill would last a season, until Man U/Liverpool/Newcastle comes up. Celtic have said he's not going anywhere.

Souness has said no.

McLeish has been told he's not leaving.

Louis van Gaal is free.

Hiddink is moving upstairs at PSV at the end of the season.

No idea what will happen. Glad though that the next game is a Cup game and not a League one. Less pressure and an inferior opponent.

10. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    That's BS. Toppmöller led Bayer Leverkusen, a low budget team in comparison to international top teams, to the Champions League final and he was active player in the USA. What is very obvious throughout Toppmöller's coaching career, is that he has extreme success in the first season wherever he is going - but usually a major decline follows in the season after. Reason probably is that he is too close to the team in the first season - what in return his big strength as he is able to motivate the players; in the second season he then isn't able to create the necessary distance to the team when the first problems occur.

soccernutter: Toppmöller is known for his offensive playing style.

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=278202&cc=5739

Pleat reckons there's been no movement yet. He also seems to be downplaying his involvement a bit.

Most credible report I saw was that a move for O'Neill is being lined up for him to take over in January if Celtic are out of Europe and he is not given enough assurances over transfer money. If he says no, or if Celtic are still in Europe/easier on the purse strings, then we have Antic lined up as our safety net choice. In fact I would expect Antic to be appointed straight away, but on a short term stop-gap contract. Which may be extended if we can't get O'Neill and results are good.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Does not sound like the guy I want, then.

And if his style is offensive, then I must be thinking about somebody else...hmmm...

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The way that William Hill wouldn't take bets on Antic made me convinced it would be him, but if so why has he not been unveiled yet? Possibly waiting for the Coventry game, or perhaps it's just speculation.

I saw the interview with the german journo and he basically rubbished the Toppmoller reports, and seemed to suggest spurs were to big for him.

Everyone is playing it down, but then they always do.

14. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Daniel Levy is still on holiday til next week. They say no talks have been held, and won't until he gets back.. and then they will draw up names.

However, i'd bet the names are drawn up and some "in theory" approaches have been made. Just have to wait and see how the business side works out i think.

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Talk on Sky of Ruud Gullit as a possible candidate. He said he might be interested.

16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the best article so far on the situation:

http://www.thisislondon.com/sport/football/articles/6889222

17. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    "Small" round up:

Harry Redknapp has ruled himself out of the running for the job (but was he ever in it anyway ?). He said it is a tough job and he hopes Hoddle gets back into the game with John Gorman soon, as the game needs people like them. Redknapp senior said Jamie had been a bit down, as he got on well with Glenn and although he has been linked with the post, Harry said he liked everything about the set-up at Fratton Park and wasn't interested in the post at White Hart Lane.

Charlton Athletic manager Alan Curbishley is being linked in some quarters. The Mirror put Alan Curbishley as someone who has indicated he would want the job and with a clause in his contract saying any club who agrees to pay the compensation required, there might be few complications in taking him on.

Graeme Souness said that there are not many jobs better than his one at Blackburn Rovers and that he wasn't aware of being linked to other jobs during the weekend. So, not a categorical denial of interest, although he said he enjoyed working with the people he saw every day and was happy at Blackburn.

David Ginola says he would love the job at Tottenham and would be good at it as he is sensitive. The former Spurs winger told the Press that he would use psychology to get to know the players and boost their confidence. He said "I am Tottenham" and that he would love to be an ambassador for the club.

Celtic have been quoted as saying that Martin O'Neill will not be going anywhere and any stories about him joining Spurs are just speculation.

Glasgow Rangers have been quoted as saying that Alex McLeish will not be going anywhere and he has shaken hands on a new contract at Ibrox, which will be tied up in the next couple of weeks.

The smart money appears to be on Raddy Antic taking over at White Hart Lane. A former player under David Pleat, Antic has managed in Spain and is well respected on the continent. Bookies have stopped taking bets on his appointment as the next manager at Spurs. Antic has said he would be interested in the job, but that Tottenham would have to approach him about the position.

The London Evening Standard propose current PSV boss Gus Hiddink (although he is lined up as next PSV Chairman)

Former Middlesbrough manager Bryan Robson is putting himself up for the job (he has done this for every job this season, and some last)

David Pleat has not ruled himself out of the running for the Spurs manager's job on a permanent basis (i thought he had? last night he wasn't saying much at all though)

Another who has come out and said he wants the job is Miroslav Blazevic, the Croatian World Cup 1998 manager, who took his country to third place. He said he has respect for the honesty of the Premiership and recognises Tottenham great tradition. He might bring former West Ham United defender and World Cup semi-final cheat, Slaven Bilic with him.

Unemployed after taking Real Madrid to the La Liga title, Vincente Del Bosque is another name mentioned in relation to filling Glenn Hoddle's old role.

Steve Perryman said he would like a proper go at managing Spurs after being Ossie Ardiles' assistant and having one game after Ossie was sacked. He said that the spirit at the club needs to be picked up and that he would be happy with any coaching position there.

Leicester City's Micky Adams has been linked with the vacant Spurs manager's job.

Spurs are being linked with a move for Bayer Leverkusen's former manager Klaus Toppmoller.

Ok, so in short.

Bryan Robson
    Graeme Souness
    Alan Curbishley
    Raddy Antic
    Vicente Del Bosque
    Martin O'Neill
    Alex McLeish
    Steve Perryman
    David Ginola
    Micky Adams
    Miroslav Blazevic
    Guus Hiddink
    Ruud Gullit
    Bruce Arena
    John Gregory

Or some combination of 2 or 3.

18. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  19. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Argh, fkn hell, i just wrote a huge piece and then it comes up "cannot find server" twice - i copied it this time though ;).

Grr!!!

It was about French/Spanish man Luis Fernandez, the ex Paris Saint-Germain manager. My friend has just recommended him, with possibily Ginola involved somewhere.

Fernandez has played 60 times for France in the Platini-Tigana era. Managed Bilbao and Cannes (when Zidane was there).

I think he'd be decent. The reputation is there, and the past record is ok! French managers do alright in England, and perhaps he could attract the right kind of players.

Out of work too :)

20. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    According to kicker, Antic and Curbishley are the favourites for the job.

21. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I meant to add that apparently Curbs has a 5 million (!) compensation fee in his contract. I doubt Charlton would waive that easily, although Curbs insisting on leaving if we make a formal approach could force them to compromise.

Looks like McLeish is definitely out of the speculation, signed a new 4 year contract today:
    http://www.sport.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1980864

Fernandez would be a bit dodgy. Especially being French as no doubt he'd want to raid his homeland for players ;) but seeing as Wenger already picks off the cream of the crop from France, with Houllier picking up the crumbs, we would be left with the real dross.

We need to find someone who is experienced with a track record of constant sucess, progressive in their outlook, a good motivator and strong individual but can work with Pleat while shaping the team into a sucessful outfit.

Failing that, get Antic to be a caretaker with Pleat, or have a gamble that Curbs can make the leap.

22. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Actually, Bruce Arena and Guus Hiddink would be my top two choices. I hope this Arena rumor actually has legs, because I truly believe that 12 months from when he arrives that Tottenham will be an Champions League caliber team. Without competing on money, I think he could have Spurs consistently rivaling Arsenal and Chelsea as London's top team. Given the wage bill and transfer fee discrepancies, that's saying quite a lot.

IMHO, this is a very important appointment, whomever it is. With the transportation problems surrounding the Lane and preventing expansion, our stadium problem is only going to intensify every year for the next 5 years or so. Considering that it will likely take 2 years to build even if a new stadium is approved (wildly optimistic, but plausible), getting into the UEFA and then the Champions League spots will be crucial. Even if the stadium solution becomes expanding the Lane to 50k (and hopefully 60k+ in the future), the financial burden will likely be tremendous. So, without the funds from major competitions, this may severely restrict additions to the team. Whomever manages Spurs will have a very important role to play in securing Spurs future.

Arena or Hiddink ... I sure hope that at least one of those two is a legitimate candidate.

-Digital

23. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
  24. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I almost chocked from laughing when I read Blazevic’s name here.

25. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    SoccerNet article on Pleat

Notice when they talk about Kanoute and Keane. They used the term "Special K partnership".

YOU IDIOTS! ITS KAK! KAK you fools, KAK!