Candidates for the Final

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by uuaww, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Re: final candidates: MORE INSIGHT

I don't think the teams get a vote or any input
    so what they would prefer is irrelevant.

2. topspot

topspot Member

Jul 13, 2009

Don't know about Webb, but I've seen Archundia card for simulation multiple times, so I wouldn't describe him as lenient at all in this respect.

3. tolucafan

tolucafan Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC

hi guys, does anyone know when fifa will make their decision? im really hoping its my man benito armando archundia :)

4. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

I haven't seen him do any of the really big games. Referees sometimes change when under different circumstances, World Cup Final would be one of them.

5. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ok so you're saying he's not a god, that's reasonable although I've never seen any reasonable person call him a god. Also refs need a hero too, leave us alone if we want it to be Collina.

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know you only mean that you haven't personally seen him, but solely for the record... Archundia has far more "big game" experience than Webb at the international (not club) level.

Given Webb's UCL matches, it becomes a little bit more difficult to quantify who might be "more prepared" for this assignment, but there's definitely no question that Archundia has a stronger background at international tournaments. He had 5 massive matches at WC06 alone, including the semifinal. And that's just one of the many FIFA tournaments to which he's been in the past 15+ years. Contrast that with Webb who I believe only has Confed Cup 09, EURO08, and WYC 07.

7. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

If he gets it $20 says he doesn't card one person for diving...and you know Robben will be going to ground over and over every time Pique slides in.

8. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weUCznEdDvg"]YouTube- Sergio Busquets![/ame]

I present to you a oscar worthy Performance from the Spanish.

9. Elizondo

Elizondo Member

Jul 6, 2009
    USA
    Congratulations to Howard Webb and his crew!

10. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I am pleased to see that Webb got the final. I am hoping that this signifies a trend away from the nationalism, favoritism, nepotism and/or chauvinism that has been the hallmark of the selection of the WC final referees for the last 3-4 decades.

Webb does not have a relative, nor fellow countryman nor even someone from the UK on the FIFA referees' committee. Of course Spain is in the final, so we will never know if the Spaniard would have otherwise been selected. We'll have to wait and see if this continues in the future.