Candidates for 2023 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  2. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    A bit of a surprise. Maybe due to the Olympics getting ppd to 2021?

3. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    That's one from the couple of reasons.

here's Dan Orlovitz story on the matter for Japan Times
    (mostly previously known facts and some translations from today's JFA statement)

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...-bid-host-2023-womens-world-cup/#.XvCUqZMza60

It's worth to consider how much money saved by withdrawing will JFA push now for next years's WE.League. :sneaky:

L'orange repped this.
  4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Never know, Colombia could still win.

5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It's on to Australia and New Zealand! They ought to ax Perth from the venue lineup--too far to travel--but I'm sure they won't. Should be a good WC--I'm sure they'll do a great job.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They really need to lobby quickly and hard to get enough vote.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That would kind of be like the US axing L.A. from the venues due to travel. If a country is hosting the WWC then all their major cities should be available for use unless there is some overwhelming reason other than simple travel to reject it.

Besides Perth is my favorite city in Australia and the organizers should take my preferences into account. :p:D

Even though my earlier feelings about Colombia were outdated the country is still too dangerous, with a crime rate more than 20 times that of Australia/New Zealand, to be able to assure the safety of the players. That alone should make Colombia easy to reject. Of course there is the other advantage that Australia has in that it is a lot like Hawaii in its the desirability as a family travel destination.
    Its beaches have everything that could be wanted. Sand for the kids, sun for the wife and sharks for the mother in law. :ROFLMAO::devilish:;)

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am sorry, snake spiders and kangaroos dont make Australia a safe country ;)

9. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Back in the early '70s I was visiting Australia and I was invited to a private zoo. While I was there I held a Koala and tried to feed it a bit. It mistook one of my fingers for a leaf and bit HARD. Those things are dangerous. ;):eek: I still have the scar and when I think about it the pain memory. They may be vegetarians but they will not pass up a little piece of human (or at least as much human as I am) when offered.

Lohmann repped this.
  11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am definitely not going to Australia then...

12. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    blissett and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah how easy it is to devolve a thread into hilarious shitposting :ROFLMAO:

blissett and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    The Colombian lobby is a strong contender for the 2020 Wile E. Coyote Lifetime Achievement Award:

On June 18th, the Colombian FA and Conmebol sent a letter of protest to FIFA, regarding its bid evaluation report. The letter was amended some hours later... with an errata sheet.
    https://fcf.com.co/index.php/2020/0...-y-fcf-a-los-miembros-del-consejo-de-la-fifa/

ACME Inc. has contacted the Colombian FA to purchase some booby-trap patent rights.

jagum, Lechus7, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not a done deal yet. Loads of political manouvering right now

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The idea that UEFA will vote for the C'BOL bid just b/c/o historical duality between the two confeds on the men's side is... ridiculous to me, but also utterly believable just b/c it's FIFA politics. What actual reason does UEFA have to vote like that?

17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You want an actual reason for something, almost anything, involving FIFA? I want some of what you have been drinking.

I actually think that money or other compensation, Colombia has plenty of the "other," has changed hands. Colombia should not even be in the running much less have a real chance at willing the bid.

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, does anyone remember men have a World Cup planned in Qatar? :confused: How much logical that choice seems to be to you, guys? Does it gives any warranty to us that FIFA will make the better choice or does it strongly suggest that it's likely to do the opposite?

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because apparently the WWC is a "development tournament." https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...to-host-2023-womens-world-cup-boosted-by-uefa

"...the Guardian understands two members of the Uefa delegation rubbished the technical reports in a meeting attended by its Fifa council members and argued that because the Women’s World Cup was a “development tournament” its representatives should back Colombia."

blissett repped this.
  20. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I would rather it be in Colombia because the viewing times will be better. I would imagine TV ratings go down if it's in Australia/NZ simply because of the time difference.

jagum and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    My post on page 2 of this thread back in 2017 may prove to be prescient.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :mad::mad::thumbsdown:
    What a bullshit attitude toward WoSo and its premier tournament.

23. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    In fairness, that's why the men's WC went to the US, Japan/Korea, South Africa, and Qatar (well that's what they said about Qatar).

24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Women's soccer faces multiple issues that serve to make people generally demean its position in the "prestige" of sports. In a few countries, like the US, soccer in general is considered a second or even a third rate sport. Along with that in most of the world the women's game is seen as slow and less physical and, for some reason, the excessive fouling and diving and higher speed of the men's game is seen as superior entertainment. Also the general posturing and strutting the men show is seen as good and entertaining.

The women struggle to sell tickets in most leagues around the world mainly because the game is more subtle and therefore perceived as less entertaining.

You put all that together and add the "macho" bias toward women that exists in much of the world, including Europe and you get people taking any chance they can to demean any sport played by women that does not normally involve mud or Jello.

I wish that women's sports and particularly women's soccer was better received worldwide but it is not. Women are just not considered equal by most of the male universe and a significant part of the female universe takes no action to show how wrong many men are and thereby the women keep themselves in that second position.

Those of us that want women's sports to advance need to push even harder to get overall equality in the eyes of people with power in the world of sports.

I almost hate to say it but, maybe, women need to learn from the "Black Lives Matter" movement. I just hope it happens soon enough for me to see it and that it does not take deaths to make the point viable. My granddaughters keep encountering problems because they are female and they are supposedly working under the advantages of being US citizens and living in Japan that is touted to be one of the more progressive countries. (I do not totally believe Japan has come that far as they have a history of suppressing women and treating them as inferior.)

I am not surprised that a macho organization like FIFA is treating the WWC as a "development" tournament. That way they do not have to spend the effort to promote the WWC the way they do the Men's WC.

But I guess we should be happy that we actually get a WWC. It could be a lot worse.