Cancela/Rapids Quote

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rhiggz, Jun 28, 2005.

1. rhiggz

rhiggz Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Oregon
    Posting a new thread to clear up my name. I'm going to put the quote from Ridge Mahoney's article entitled "Clavijo sticks to guns." It's from the June 27 Soccer America (LD and Bocanegra on the cover) on p. 36.

"The trades {Chung and Henderson trades were mentioned earlier} enabled Clavijo to amass enough allocation money for him to bid for elite players, such as American internationals coming to MLS (Mainz striker Conor Casey was the most prominent name mentioned. Clavijo also expressed admiration for Uruguayan countrymate Jose Cancela, relegated to the New England bench"

Sorry, I should have quoted earlier, but I don't get on here much. Now if I'm reading to much into that to think it's something, I'm sorry. But when a coach names only 2 names after trading 2 big contracts, to me, that seems like enough to constitute as interest and rumor material.

If you don't believe me, pick up a copy of the most recent SA it's right there on p. 36. Don't call me a liar Magpie, because it's in there. You must have been an awful student, because I even said it was in Soccer America, it's not hard to find.

2. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still not sure that this indicates a Cancela trade is imminent, or even likely. Thanks for sourcing the quote, though. It's no surprise that Clavijo admires Pepe, as I'm sure every manager in the league does as well. Practically nobody in the league moves the ball as well as he does through the midfield.

I really, really want to keep Pepe. His creative spark is essential to this team's success, IMO. I just wish he took better free kicks. ;)

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I never called you a liar, I said I couldn't find anything (my apologies for Soccer America's inability to allow for comprehensive on-line searches of their publication); there's a difference... much like there's a difference between idle speculation/reading too much into things and an actual, respectable rumor...

... and I'm not an awful student, because in your very first post you wrote: "I saw in Soccer America, I think that's where I saw it..."

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212968&page=1

You've certainly created some "buzz," but the basis for it is decidedly lacking in fact. The quote is certainly appreciated, but really doesn't suggest anything more than a coach thinking out loud.

That's all it is.

The Magpie

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Not to mention that if a coach were REALLY interested in a player, the LAST thing he'd want to do is publicize it ...