Canadians don't just play Hockey?!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Danners9, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    ;)

http://www.tribalfootball.com/november/englsnews3161103.html

Can't say i know much about him, except he has been linked before and changes his hair colour to suit his kit.

2. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I don't know Bircham, but hopefully Atouk can give us a good scouting report. I'll ask him. Clearly that's a position at which we need help.

-Digital

3. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bircham is a solid two-way central midfielder. I've only seen him a few times live (I'll be there again on the 29th), but catch the highlights every week on the website and listen to the commentary most weeks.

Depending on our lineup, he'll play a more attacking role (if paired with Steve Palmer) or more the role of a pure ballwinner (if Kevin Gallen, Martin Rowlands, etc., pair with him), or in a bit of a shared role (lately with young Marcus Bean playing). A recent match report said of him "he ran everywhere and got stuck in" and that, in a nutshell, is Bircham.

The Sunday Times said of his performance yesterday that he was "The man who so shrewdly and intelligently kept the wheels turning for QPR," in our 3-0 win over Plymouth.

He has five yellows in 18 appearances this year. He's not much of a threat to get on the scoresheet -- he popped in two goals for us last year and hasn't scored yet this year.

Based on some reports, he hasn't been on his best form of late, but has also been battling minor back and hip injuries.

He's 25 years old and is a life-long QPR fan from Wembley and, in my mind, is definitely at least a First Division player. Premiership? I don't know. He came to QPR when he was out of contract with Milwall even though he had offers in hand from several First Division clubs. I figured he'd stay with us if we went up this year, but move on if we weren't able to win promotion because he'd be deserving of a First Division salary.

He plays for the Canadian national team from time to time, but is English. I think he has a Canadian grandfather. He had a bit of a falling out with Canada's previous coach (he didn't want to be called up for the '02 Gold Cup but when Osieck was going to call him up anyway, he "retired" from international football), but has now played once for them since Osieck left.

I believe his contract with Rangers runs out after this season, so if they thought they wouldn't be able to keep him or wanted to go in a different direction next year, it's possible they'd take an offer. Still, with Rangers just taking over the top of the table, it may take a nice payment to have us change our lineup at the moment. Financially, QPR needs to get promoted.

At the bottom of this page is a funny swipe at Bircham's footballing skills done on a fan website sometime last year.

http://www.rtid.co.uk/News/news_page.htm

In fact, though, he's one of the fans' favorites at Loftus Road, with maybe only Kevin Gallen having more of his replica tops seen around the Bush. I view him as a hard working, ball winning scrapper with pretty fair passing skills to keep the ball moving or get us quickly into the counter. I'd hate to lose him, in large part because I know he really wants to be there to see this club back in the First Division.

4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Atouk pretty much gave you all the info you need on Birch. We love him cause he's a Rangers boy, but there are probably about 50 midfielders in the Nationwide better than he. Spurs have really lost the plot haven't they? Just don't accidently find any of our really good players :)

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the insight guys! Best of luck on promotion.

-Digital

6. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    From Diego to Bircham. This is one of the g@yest threads ever.

QPR gave us Clive Wilson and Gerry Francis. Need I say more?

7. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

You've just summed up our season thus far.