canadian junior league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jdefoe9, Nov 4, 2004.

1. jdefoe9

jdefoe9 Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Canada
    I was thinking, wouldnt it be a good idea for Canada to have a major junior league like they do in hockey. Like the OHL, QMJHL, WHL... so players can get drafted for the nhl. Instead, the A-league and/or MLS draft would these young players and develop soccer in Canada. What do you guys think?

2. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen someone post an idea for a Eastern-Central-Western three-league system before. Basically, you would be building Canadian soccer from the ground up instead of the proposed CUSL model which was top-down. Do you think Canada is ready to support a "C-PDL?"

3. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

No.

The A-League does have a draft and it's basically for show only. Players are only binded to the team that drafts them for something like 2 weeks, then they are free to go anywhere. MLS isn't going to draft a lot of Canadians anyhow, I don't see how having a junior soccer league would improve that. For the A-League drafting players is basically pointless. They usually have to draft local players because there's not enough money in the league to entice players to travel a great distance to play for a club.

Last point, A-League teams average less than most junior hockey teams in Canada presently do. Junior soccer would hardly attract any fans, not enough to support such a league.