Canada-US u19WC Final PbP

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Canuckleboy, Sep 1, 2002.

1. FreedomFan526

FreedomFan526 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Virginia
    Thanks for the play by play. I did not realize that you all were doing that so I just read through it all. Also thanks for the links to the pictures. I really wish I could have seen that game!

2. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    The mini MLS Cup
    [​IMG]

And for those interested the US players look better than the Canadian. ;)

3. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    No problem. More to come as they pop up on my computer!

Speaking of which...

Booth comforted by another Canadian player
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/020901/168/25wo7.html&e=2&ncid=706

4. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Canada's Melanie Booth is comforted by an unidentified teammate.

That's kind of mysterious...
    :eek:

5. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to both teams. Great match.

In addition, it was nice to see 47,000+ in the stadium. Good job, Canadian fans.

One thing I noticed....Harris of the USA needs to come off her line and help her D a little more. There were it least 4 times where her D was looking to head the ball back to her, but couldn't because she was nowhere in sight.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're gonna have to take this one back. If you were paying attention when the feed got cut, it was obvious that the uplink was severed. The Canadian broadcast went off the air. Fox Sports World was going to broadcast the ceremony.

7. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    sigh

nice game all round. Could have gone either way. But congrats to the youngins of the US.

Only thing i didn't like was the hard foul and stare down by harris, but most people do that in the heat of the moment. You're forgiven. ;)

8. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    i'm 99.9% sure that it was two different players. chapman did it in the first half to 'prevent' the flip-throw, which lead to a warning and a re-do....and gayle did it in the second half the same thing...

oh, and i put together a 'thank you' image for the u19 canadian team as my splash image to my canada site...to see it, please visit:

http://gobigred.sinfree.net

elaine

ps- mel, that stare down from harris was funny! maybe she was seeing if katie was ok? ;) lol

9. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    lol

that 'unidentified' teammate should be heather smith (from what i can tell...it should be her...)

i felt really bad for melaine...i'm sure she felt somewhat to blame for the US goal, as she was not able to clear it out cleanly...tough...it was sad to see all their reactions :(

elaine

10. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    actually, the canadian broadcast showed everything post-game....the awards, medal and trophy presentations....even interviewed tons of players. they talked to leslie osborne from the US side, and nothing against her, but she sounded waaaaaaaaay to 'and..um..like..like' lol ;)

i enjoyed the work by gerry and helen!!!

elaine

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the throw in caution. It doesn't matter. The referee does not have to issue a warning. Law 15 is very clear. A player will not distract or otherwise impede the throw-in.

12. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
  13. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game by both sides, too bad there had to be a team that lost. I've developed a great respect for the Canadian team from watching today. And kudos to Canadian Soccer for running a fine tournament.

14. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swiss, not Swedish. AKA the Swiss Miss.

15. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Actually Sinclair has scored 35 goals in 25 games at the senior level.

16. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
  17. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    Wow, nearly 1 million viewers, now that is not bad at all. I am sure that sportsnet never dreamed that, that many people would watch. Absolutaly amazing.

18. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
  19. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hey-

that sportsnet figure is AMAZING!!! who would have thought that it was women's soccer, much less u19 women's soccer that brings the station it's highest numbers ever!!

i hope this means good things in the future in terms of canadian women's games telecast...i think sportsnet has a deal with the CSA to telecast a certain amout of team canada games (men and women), but i can't find that info...if anyone knows, please post! :D

i heard dobson say that they'll be telecasting the canada vs. australia series from vancouver/victoria at the end of september. i'm not sure if this is entirely correct, but i'll look into it. remember, sportsnet was slated to telecast the canada vs. norge match in july, but did not. so who knows?

i would love to see the canada vs. australia games on tv since i can't be there in person!!! hopefully these numbers will have sportsnet thinking women's soccer more!

i remember back in '95, TSN decided to air world cup '95 games. not too sure if it was just canada's games, or what not, but the numbers were AWFUL...and ever since, they haven't yet to air a women's match! hopefully they'll come aboard for wwc'03 though! although, i must say that sportsnet did a pretty decent job in their broadcast of wwc'99!!

elaine