Canada to bid for 2007 Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by ringster, Sep 1, 2002.

1. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    Wow! What good news for soccer in Canada. The U-19 Canadian team has really made something big happen. You know what, I think Canada will win it. Here's a link:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/

2. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I would think Europe would be due to host it again in 2007, but it sounds like Canada has made a good case for itself over the last couple of weeks.

3. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Well, Canada has the facilities to host such an event, no doubt about that. Who is hosting in 2003?

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's China.

Cheers,
    William

5. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    actually, during the halftime of the sportsnet coverage, they talked to the new president of the CSA, and he said that stadia is actually an issue to solve in order to host the event.

toronto does not have a soccer stadium fit for an event like this, so there's hope that they build one in TO or th GTA in the future, as well as montreal. mentioned a few other things i can't remember...

they showed a clip of sepp blatter giving his 'approval' of canada's 2007wwc bid, and the reporter asked if there were other countries up for the running in 2007, and blatter said no bids have been submitted yet, but that 'our neighbors to the south' would like to host it again. europe, and even s.korea/japan since they just hosted the 2002wc, and have the infustructure. but he said asia would not likely get it, since china is hosting 2003wwc...and that canada is the leading candidate. (d'oh, we're the only ones officially! lol)

i think with the success of this u19 tourney, if the women's world cup is to return to north america, canada should have as just as a good shot as the states. what's working for them is the $$ and the stadiums etc., but hopefully the CSA will do something about this, as it'll be a shame for us to miss an opportunity like it!

elaine

6. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Well, I hope they get it. The U-19 has been a successful tournament. Now the next thing is for the top stadia in either England or Italy to host a women's World Cup!

7. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    You are correct. I wasn't even thinking about that, silly especially because my wife and I are making plans to go.

8. Googs67

Googs67 New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Canada

ya and they'll draw 1100 for the final.