Can Woodworth make it in the MLS?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by jmsdoc, Jan 19, 2003.

1. jmsdoc

jmsdoc Member

Jun 25, 2000
    The Valley
    Now that Haydon has been drafted by DC. what's the opinion as to whether he can make the roster? Interesting draft in that one of my fav. players in Gibbs of UVA didn't get the call?

John

2. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, according to reports from the MLS Player Combine Hayden more than hold his own with and against many of the best players from D-I. Some labelled him the "find of the Combine," but coming from the obscurity of D-III has a lot to do with that. Anyway, I think he has a excellent chance with DC United as long as he's willing to sign as a Developmental Player (league min. salary, doesn't count against salary cap and 18-man roster limit). He's a hard worker who gives maximum effort everytime out, and I think that gives him the edge over other players of similar skill level. So I see him at least making the DC United squad as a developmental player (DP). But who knows what Hayden's preferences are and what his ambitions are. Maybe he'd rather play with the Charlotte Eagles where his chances of playing time are much, much greater and where he can be part of the entire Christian organization/ministry of the Charlotte Eagles. Of course, as a DP with DC United he can be loaned to an A-League team to get playing time and "seasoning", so maybe he'll be a DC United player who gets to play for Charlotte Eagles this first year.

3. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    With the lack of a working agreement between MLS and the A-League, such loan deals may be more complicated this year.

I don't know whether Hayden can make it or not, but he was as good as anyone playing at the Combine, and that's no exaggeration. It was Hudson's team he played on and more than once you could hear Ray hollering out encouragement and praise to him, especially for ability to read and make the right pass. I hope he sticks with DCU.

4. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D-III Players Drafted Out of College

If my research is correct, only 6 D-III players have been drafted staright out of college, including 2 this year. (FYI: 4 more were drafted after spending time in lower pro leagues.)

D-III PLAYERS DRAFTED STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE

1999 MLS College Draft
    GREG SUTTON | Goalkeeper | St. Lawrence University
    Second Round (23rd overall) by the Chicago Fire
    => Signed and spent 2 years with the Chicago Fire (1999-2000). In two seasons, played in 5 games, starting 4.

JIM MANGANELLO | Midfielder | Wheaton College, IL
    Third Round (29th overall) by the MetroStars
    => Never signed with MetroStars

2000 MLS Super Draft
    LANCE KEY | Defender | Trinity College
    Fouth Round (43rd overall) by the Colorado Rapids
    => Signed and spent two years in MLS with the Colorado Rapids (2000-2001). Played in 34 games, starting all 34.

2002 MLS SuperDraft
    JEFF MOORE | Midfielder | Richard Stockton College
    Sixth Round (66th overall) by the MetroStars
    => Signed and so far has spent one year with the MetroStars (2002-current). Played in 18 games, starting 17.

2003 MLS SuperDraft
    ALEX BLAKE | Forward | Williams College
    Third Round (27th overall) by the Colorado Rapids
    => ? ? ?

HAYDEN WOODWORTH | Midfielder | Messiah College
    Fourth Round (31st overall) by D.C. United
    => ? ? ?

5. Metro9

Metro9 New Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Queens, NY, USA
    Jim Manganello did sign with the Metros. Bora had him in the top 11 at left midfield, but he was injured all year and they eventually cut him. Too bad he was hurt, he could have turn some heads for a player coming out of D III.

6. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch. I falsely assumed that since I couldn't find any stats on him at MLSnet.com and since he wasn't listed on the archived 1999 roster at Metrostars.com that he never made the team. Thanks for that insight.

I also got the college wrong. It should be Wheaton College, MA, not IL.

7. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    I was talking with Hudson yesterday and he said, "Every one of the other coaches came up to me after the draft and said, 'You've got the 'steal' of the draft there.'" Hudson continued, "We've already started calling him 'Woodstock.' Not just because of the way his hair looks, but because he's crazy on the field and never stops . . . always running like he's on drugs. He reminds you of Ben Olsen in everyway."

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Messiah College is going to love this quote and manyothers that come from Ray. :D

9. a vote here for Hayden

I watched Hayden play for 3 years in college against Greensboro College. At GC we are in the heart of ACC country, so we get to see a lot of the top College teams each year. Simply, Hayden has as good a chance as anyone drafted to make it.

Hayden will not fit the mold of the more typical D1 midfielder. That being a physical player, quick to fast, good touch, good technique, but in my opinion lacking in imaginative, creative play. Hayden is more of a Claudio Reyna (in his college days) midfielder. He'll weave his way through a game with classic touches, a clever habit of knowing when and how to hold a ball, and a wonderful gift of imaginative distribution that usually puts his team on attack and the defense on its heels. Do not read this as being soft or having the habit of disappearing, no one will outwork him in the MLS.

Now for those that will mock me for touting a player from D3. A few years back there was a player at GC, a D3 school also, that was making quite a name for himself. That was unless you talked to the area D1 hierarchy. Yes, they were complimentary of the player, but were quick to note that he was only so dominant because he was playing D3. Certainly he would not have the same impact against the truly great D1 players and teams. Well, Ryan Nelson transfered to Stanford and did fairly well for himself.

My point is that a good player is a good player. No there are not hundreds of MLS draftees in D3, but you may find that there are a good handful each year. If you will take time to research you will find the top 20 or so D3 programs offer excellent soccer programs where a player can develope quite nicely, well as nicely as you can under NCAA regs, but that is another thread. So, all you folks out there, don't be surprised that Hayden or any other deserving D3 player has what it takes to make it.

One final note. I hope you will take the time to try to see Hayden play during the preseason. As much as I can, I guarantee you will enjoy watching this guy play.