Can we trust Landon up top??

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dmike, Jun 9, 2006.

1. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple question.

We used him in both Mexico games as a guy that shadowed the lone forward and he did very mediocre in both games. Not up to par in what we expect from Landon. He has already said he prefers the CAM spot instead of being up top.
    With the Galaxy his performances are also inconsistent when he plays up top.

Can we trust him to perform to his upmost ability as a forward??

2. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002

R E L A X

Almost everyone underestimates this guy.

He'll perform.

3. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    At the expense of possibly sounding heretical, it's not like he's Ronaldinho at AM, either. He'll do fine wherever we put him -- even though he's likely better at AM, the US team overall might be better if he's at withdraw striker.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I want him (badly) in midfield. His speed and work-rate make us much better in the middle of the field.

5. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    I'd rather have him up top than see McBride up there alone. We are a weak finishing team but Donovan, despite having missed some sitters, does a better job of jumping on the scraps than anyone on the team. What you should ask is "Can we trust Beasley on the right side of a box?"

Something tells me that Arena is going to get this wrong.

6. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Then either Beasley or Convey sits. And Johnson must play.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he is famous for getting it right. He did not build 2 dynasties and carry up the US program by fcking up many big things.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    could be

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't worry about Landon, KK, or McBride.

Everybody else I worry about.

Landon up top seemed to work out pretty well last time around.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    or 5 in the middle and man mark Koller with 3 in the back. Man-marking is only used with 3 in the back-so it COULD be a way to mark Koller with Gooch and get Landon Convey and Beaz on the field together.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I do not worry about Mastro, Gooch, Pope, Dolo, Reyna

12. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as opposed to what? mcbride alone? yeah.

i sure hope youre insinuating wolff should start up top, otherwise thats some serious hating on landon. you think johnsons six month concacaf "domination" streak is a more reliable resume? ching?

cmon now...

13. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Cool. But you go, what? Boca, Pope, Gooch? Two dmids, Reyna, Pablo. Lewis sits in favor of, whom? Convey? Or does Lewis play as a bookend? And he'll go ahead and use Cherundolo on the right. If he plays Beasley then Cherundolo sits? No.

Anyway, I'm sure that Landon can be trusted, as it were, but let's trust someone else, as well, and keep him in the hole.

Bruce, I really don't know if Arena has the guts to do it. No disrespect.

14. bwach

bwach Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Cleveland

Yes. Did you watch the '02 Cup? He's better now.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Back on thread ... answer, 'no.'

BMB & EJ up top, LD not far behind. Let's take it to these guys!

No 4-5-1. No playing LD out of position. Let's impose our will on them. Hold on for the first 60 minutes, then make them look old and slow in the last half hour.

I see two basic approaches to group play:

1) DLW (maybe DDW) - 2nd Place (maybe) - Lose to Brazil (Round of 16) - Welcome home boys - 'Mission Accomplished' (to borrow a phrase).

2) WDW - 1st Place - Serious run through the knockout phase - keeping the dream alive. 'Mission Accomplished' when we're holding the Cup in our hands on July 9.

Let's win Game 1 and put the pressure on everyone else.

16. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's guys like you that have the USA at 10-1 to win the cup at the MGM (at least that's what ESPN showed). At least the odds are so ridiculous that it keeps me from betting with my heart.

Don't worry about Landycakes. The guy gets up for the big games. He'll represent. I've got my concerns too - mainly Beasley's form shows he should not start, but BA may anyway. And JOB doesn't seem fit if he didn't scrimmage against Angola (unless BA was too worried the fragile guy would break). We have options though. Namely, Convey, EJ, maybe Dempsey. Given what he's done so far. All faith has to go to BA's judgement. You may hate his starting lineup, but my guess is that its gonna work.

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When called on to do so, Landon can finish. That, alone, is enough to consider playing him up top. If EJ's form isn't back, LD on top my be a good idea for the US-- we need goals.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks! Are there reverse betting opportunities, i.e. can I 'short' the US at 1:10? If so, that's the way I'm betting, sorry.

My point is you go to a tournament to win it, realistic or not. Winning the group and avoiding Brazil improves my chances, so that's what I'm planning to do. If I have to change plans along the way, I will.

I refuse to start with the assumption that your team is better than my team. Certain formations and lineups send a very clear message. My message: "We're here to win the Cup! Good luck to you and may the best team win."

I don't like the 4-5-1. I don't like playing LD out of position. I don't like sitting EJ - how's he going to regain his scoring touch, or at least keep the Czech backs honest, if he's sitting on the bench?

Start EJ and play LD in his natural position.

19. Wasted

Wasted New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Louisville
    The only way I'd want Lando up front is if JOB is in game shape. Reyna is locked as the holding mid, and there isn't anyone else other than JOB who can really hit the through balls that should be effective against the Czechs. With Landon in an AMid role, he'll have BMB as a target, which allows EJ to run free and have either Convey or Beasley making those slicing backside runs.

If only EJ was still preforming well and JOB wasn't limping off the field every other game....:(

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Watched first half of Portugal '02 last night. Landon was very good, but I think you're right, he's better now.

But oh do I pine for the '02 Beasley. I haven't seen that guy for USMNT for quite a while now. I'd be delighted if we get the '02 version of Beasley, not one whit better.

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    DMB has to start for much the same reason EJ needs to start. These guys have to find the 'old magic' or we're flying home early. Let's not give up before the opening kickoff. If DMB starts on Monday, he'll play the game of his life.

22. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Why are we talking about politics here? Take it elsewhere.

23. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I think he'll play like he did in the last WC ... like a man possessed.

Getting by that, what are the options? Wolff, Ching? I'll take Donavan and hope the "cloak of invisibility" he often wears was left in LA

24. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    He rarely gets it wrong - but I'm very afraid of a 2005 Mexico at Azteca type of gameplan - just seemed all wrong in the first half even from a strategic point of view (as opposed to simply performance)

25. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    I know that bumping one's self is normally shamlessly self-promoting but could I at least enjoy a bit of vindication? Just a bit?