Can we still..............

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cristiano_007, Oct 16, 2004.

1. cristiano_007

cristiano_007 Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Is Arsenal to far ahead for the boys to wing mathematiclly no but there is another side to it arsenal has got 25 mana U 14. Predictions?

2. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    The problem for you guys isn't Arsenal being eleven points ahead, you've recovered from greater deficits before, when you've chased a single rival. The real problem is being eleven points behind Arsenal /and/ being six points behind Chelsea.

Nothing's lost yet but you need other teams to take points of these two clubs to have a chance to overtake us. And to make matters worse, you're not able to overtake either of us "just" by beating us in the matches between us anymore.

I certainly wouldn't write MU off just yet, but it's looking increasingly difficult for you to claim the championship.

Now I must stop trying to have meaningfull discussions with you for a week or so. Bring it on!

KJ

3. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    i don't think it's possible to win the title this year, other clubs just sit back and defend against arsenal and that leaves arsenal to shoot the long shot, which they can, so until other teams start attacking them, and playing them like anybody else arsenal are invincible...

4. BillyManutd

BillyManutd New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah I agree with you that it's not possible to win the title this year(we might win it but chances are very slim). MU is a high scoring team but it's not reflected this season because other teams just sit back to defend and occasionally attack on counters and are happy to get a point. The problem has not been that we are unable to score, but because other teams pack the middle of the field close to the goal not letting our strikers the time to pull a shot, in addition to some weird decisions in midfield by SAF. I watched teams especially Villa against Arsenal and was thinking what the Villa defenders were doing, they were giving open spaces to Arsenal players and seem completely lost, and thats why they win easily, while if they play against us they look like playing with 9 in the back.

5. cristiano_007

cristiano_007 Member

Jun 6, 2004
    So should we focus on the CL and Fa cup. Motter?

6. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    maybe Henry will break a leg against manU sunday....then we might stand a chance....
    lol jokes....all we gotta do is work as a team and hope no1 gets injured.....whats the deal with tim howard...?!??!

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we shouldn't ignore those goals, but we shouldn't mess around in the league either. We need to start putting some games together to get some momentum going. If we're not in form and clicking as a team, we won't have a chance in any of those competitions either. If we go on a run and finally start to put pressure on Arsenal and Chelsea, only then will the question have any possible answer...

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Our problems are tied to SAF and the players...

Ruud has not found his form in the league.
    Scholes was not 100% and played like shite.
    We had a bunch of players injured from the start and we are playing from behind.
    The team selection has been bad: Smith needs to start because he has been great.
    O'Shea instead of Kleberson... for all the knock he got on this board he made maybe 2 bad passes that resulted in one shot on our goal... but once he left the game we lost all shape and could not hold possesion or string together any passes.

I think we can win the title, however it will mean a virtually flawless run from here on out for us and we have to do well against Arsenal and Chelsea and hope that Chelsea takes 4 points off Arsenal and that both squads get some mediocre results... the hard part is us having to go most of the season without dropping 6 more points... I honestly dont think we can win it if we drop that many points and even if we do it will be very hard.

Like Mott said, we cannot give up though... its not in us and its not good for the team.

9. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    The league can still happen, but what I feel is that we should be sure not to take the emphasis off any Cup or European games, as we might find ourselves sacrificing a cup campaign by resting players for an upcoming league game, only to fail in the league and end the season trophyless.

10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's way too early to throw in the towel yet. Let's see how things stand in January.

11. Darren

Darren New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Olympia, WA, USA
    100% Agree with this. It's a long season and anything can happen...

12. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Right its too early to say who will win. Arse and Chelsea have gotten almost every point they can. We have not picked up points we should have, and as MtKill has said some key players are not delivering. RVN and Scholes have been marked out because very simply they are two players who we depend on because their immense talent.

How do you get them going? Or how do you finally settle the midfield issues? All this while Glazer gets ready for a takeover bid. I think it may just take a couple of good wins in a row to get some players thinking about the game and not all the pressure or other outside factorsa. Sure Arse has a great lead and they are playing very well, but no one is unstoppable and if we just get on track we can make them sweat a lot more towards the end of the year.

13. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    It isn't just the 11 points, is it? You can't ignore the fact that Utd are playing very badly. Were we playing to the squad's potential we might do it. But playing the way we are, we won't.

Alex has ripped the cohesion out of the team. Not just recently but over the last three years beginning with Veron. Between his 5 man midfields, his twin DMs, his "flexible" players, his random team selections, he's created a collection of quality individuals that don't know what the hell they're supposed to do. Utd's attacking play has been sacrificed to a fearful defensive mentality and we no longer have the ambition to play the opposition off the park - an ambition that was uniquely ours but which now clearly separates Arsenal from the rest of the Premiership teams (including Chelsea).

Unless we quickly rediscover a cohesive style of play and a confidence in our attacking potential then we'll be struggling to qualify for Europe in 20 matches' time let alone challenge Arsenal for the Premiership.

14. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we've been 14 back before (forget year and i think it was to liverpool if im not mistaken), and cameback to win the prem. It's doable, we just need a win against ARSEnal and stop their streak at 49...

15. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    It was 15 points and Newcastle if I recall correctly. Keegan let himself be wound up by Ferguson, which proved to be disastrous for Newcastle.

KJ

16. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    Yes we can come back. I recall 2002/03 we were back too but not by this much but any thing is possible. Anyway please recall the team we came from behind to win the prem! ;)

17. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle
    From a Gunner

YOU'RE BLOODY MANCHESTER UNITED!

The season has almost 30 games left to go. Only two teams have let in fewer goals than yours. Neither of them is Arsenal, and one of them you defeated 1-nil. You have an organized defense I only wish ours could look like. You have four extraordinary strikers, three of them far better in the air than anything in Arsenal's last decade, and a midfield that, without John O'Shea in it, is one of the most solid midfields in football. Your young talent is far better than Arsenal's, with one of the most promising midfielders in international football and two of England's finest young strikers still waiting to reach their peak and make their mark in those huge games that ultimately write their names into Red Devils lore. They are the keys to your success in the Champions League form, which Arsenal only wish they had. What's the problem?

Sometimes when you can't score by long-ball passes, and all you seem to be able to conjure up are goals on set-pieces, then you need to stop trying to score by long-ball passes, and concentrate on those set-pieces and the counterattack. Teams have been holding you with just this strategy, so why not turn the tables on them?

The season is not over. Arsene Wenger has said that your team are still title contenders. You do know this, and you do believe this, I hope. If you don't, then what makes you a fan? Larger deficits than 11 points have been erased. Your team will not be held to 9 goals forever, or indeed for very long. It is only a matter of time and motivation.

You will come to Old Trafford Sunday knowing that a draw will keep you right where you are, and that is not where you want to be. You will come to Old Trafford Sunday wanting to win. You will play the hardest game you've played all year (the Chelsea game was a joke, and of virtually no importance in the long run). You will know that Arsenal have every reason to want to win, and will push and push and push forward. You can play counterattack. You can switch to a possession attack, with short passes, and take their own game to them. It is up to you to stop them if you can. The season can turn right here, and perhaps, who knows, maybe the Red Devils will go unbeaten for the rest of the season. You've done it before.

Whatever you do, you will play the game of your lives Sunday. We will be all rooting against you. You will play as hard as you haven't played in ages. You will show yourselves to be worthy opponents, never to be written off, never to be underestimated, and always to be feared and respected. You will. And if you don't, I will puke, and pity the day I ever saw such a lackluster performance from a bunch of wannabes. And you will spend the rest of the season thinking UEFA cup and setting the goals of the lowest common denominator. Don't do it.

Stop all this gloom crap. It's completely beneath you.