Can we revisit the Movsisyan trade?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by morry, Oct 13, 2008.

1. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone explain to me what fueled this last season?

The trade basically went

KC Got:
    2009 3rd round SuperDraft
    2009 1st round Supplemental Draft
    portion of a player allocation (anyone know how much?)

RSL Got:
    Yura Movsisyan- born August 20th 1987 (age 20 at trade)
    Youth International roster spot (is that spot used directly by Movsisyan or was that in addition?)

Background:
    KC Selected Movsisyan in the first round (4th overall) of the 2006 MLS SuperDraft- The youngest player ever drafted by the Wizards. Before the trade Yura played in 28 matches for KCW, 6 starts totaling 887 minutes (32 minutes per appearance). He had 5 goals and no assists but tallied 47 shots (15 og). Goal per minutes played ratio was 1 goal every 177 minutes.

For RSL-
    25 appearances for the first team, 15 starts, 1393 minutes (56 minutes per appearance). 5 goals and 1 assist plus shooting 74 times, 34 times on target.
    Goals per minutes since joining RSL is at 1 goal every 278 minutes. In addition to his first team action Yura has sparkled for the reserves this season scoring 8 goals in 6 matches.

Yura has netted more goals this season than any other KCW forward with the exception of Davy (who has played 450 more minutes) tying with 5. Movsisyan has more shots this season than anyone on the Wizards- more shots on goal- better on goal to shot ratio than anyone. Kevin Souter is the only Wizards to outpace Yura in the goals/minutes with his lone goal coming in only 237 minutes played.

Kansas City and RSL each have 36 points in 28 matches. RSL is 11th in scoring offense while KC is tied for 12th, so he isn't playing in a high powered offense either. What was so appealing about a 3rd round pick and a trash supplement pick, if the money in the allocation was not huge? I don't understand this trade, I think it is safe to assume it was a mistake at this point but why is it so rarely brought up on this board? What am I missing?

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hindsight is 20/20, because at the time we made the trade, Yura was doing ok, but not great, people were saying he was too selfish, and would dribble into players instead of making the easy pass. Ok, now that that required 20/20 response is out of the way.

As for why, he wasn't getting first team time here, which is what he wanted. He was a guy Gansler drafted that didn't fit Onalfo's plans. Basically different coaches see different things.

You can't completely judge this trade until we see who we get with the draft picks. Our 3rd round pick this year was Marquess, who hasn't looked bad in his time on the field. The year before that we drafted Hohlbein in the 1st round of the supplemental draft, and he's looked good for us as well.

No the youth international spot was not for Yura it was for RSL to use to sign one of the 3 Argies they signed.

It's rarely brought up because Yura wasn't wanting to be here anymore. He wanted to be closer to home, and wanted to get more playing time. Most people didn't think he was that good and most people were considering him a bust.

As for what's appealing about those picks, it's probably the best we could get for the player at the time.

3. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I wonder how our forwards would look playing with Javier Morales. Or even Andy Williams.

Forget the trade. The real mistake was drafting him in the first place, especially with some kid named Sasha Kljestan available.

4. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I was just talking to my roommate about that the other day while watching the U.S. game.

5. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GP---GS----Min----G---A----S----OG
    77---76----6,648--9---27---98---45

Sacha is also age 23- missing time with USMNT

Yura is 21
    GP---GS----Min---G---A-----S-----OG
    53---21---2,280--10--1----121----49

Very different forwards

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you see Yura improving that much more? I don't. If it wasn't for the fact I'm positive Kljestan will be in Europe soon I'd take Kljestan every day of the week over Yura.

7. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the draft was brought up I did some research- 2006 First rounders- no one has more career goals. Second Round we took Lance Watson ahead of Josmer Altidore (17th Overall) 15 goals.

Okay I can understand being upset about taking Yura and Watson instead of Sacha and Altidore ;)

In that draft only Altidore has scored more goals in considerably more minutes.

8. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yura didn't want to be here anymore.

9. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kljestan isn't a forward, he's something we've been needing for awhile a creative midfielder.

10. eminer

eminer Member

May 17, 2006
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yura missed sitter after sitter... He showed flashes of Carlos M's ball skill/moves, and had nearly the same output... I recall sitting at Camarohead listing to fans yell "Yura you suck!"... FO made the best move in dumping him for whatever they could get....

He make's Pore look like a world beater...

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not get crazy here.

12. Goalieo

Goalieo Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he didn't want to be here, then we needed to move him. Think about your own life and job. When you are unhappy, the quality of your work goes down. At least that has been my experience.

I think we should be more critical of the Myers draft pick then that trade.

13. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    i was pissed when that happened, myself.

i could do without the yellow shoes, though.

14. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yura was understandably upset about being behind Sealy on the depth chart, and I want to say there was a third forward in front of him, but I can't quite remember. Maybe it was something to do with the scheme but it seems to me you should give your first rounder every opportunity to show you something. He was a lot like a number of our forwards lately: great spark plug late on but he was utterly unproductive as a starter.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His rookie year, 2006, he was the 4th forward, some times 5th or worse, behind Johnson, Wolff, and Sealy. Which you can't really blame the team for, Johnson was our new signing, Wolff was coming off a 10 goal season, and Sealy had scored 9 goals in his rookie year. Then throw in Pore and Arnaud and he got moved down the bench at times his rookie year.

16. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I remember the consensus outside KC was that we screwed San Jose with that trade. I never bought that logic fully. Yallop was looking at the same draft picks we were.

I watched a blogger get laughed out of a room by NBA personnel guys when he suggested a certain team would trade a player (that had won a championship with the team in the past but had durability and form questions) for a top draft pick. Anytime you trade a known for an unknown, you are making a big gamble, and the guys who had jobs on the line placed more importance on that value than those who didn't.

That said, Garcia has only helped make SJ a solid squad in year one, and we've only missed him slightly. Wahl and Hohlbein haven't been disastrous, and I think we might be better defensively this year than last. We've been better defending and scoring on set pieces, and both those guys should be given some credit there. We still won't know on this one for a few years.

The Movsisyan trade was more about letting a young player go who wanted to be somewhere else. Onalfo's quote was something like "we were doing him a favor". It's tricky. You want to hold on to your best players, but you also don't want to be seen as a team that is an obstructionist to the movement of players - ala New England. It hurts your ability to sign players in the future.

17. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, what he said. Yura did score a couple of big goals for us off the bench....can you say the same for Pore? In fact, when was the last time Pore scored for the varsity team? Pore has missed WAY more sitters than Yura did. Pore is only a world beater in the reserve league. He would probably be better off in the USL.

18. benkchammers

benkchammers New Member

Jun 23, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and one of the posters suggested Jose... ;)

21. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you serious?

If you take a look at production, you will see that Yura has had much more success than Pore.

I would take Yura over Pore anyday of the week, ten times over.

22. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Jose would likely improve their defense. :D

23. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not saying much... :p

24. PlayForTheFunOfIt

PlayForTheFunOfIt New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Kljestan's strength is his aggressive and competitive attitude.
    Europe? I doubt it... at least not yet... may be in a humble league, on a humble team.
    If he wants to be successful on the world stage, he needs to keep working on his skills and his touch on a daily basis. Better skill will allow him precious seconds to be more creative. He still has a few more years to get there.

Yura has everything that he needs to be a world class striker. One more years of experience... he has speed, skill ( just like Sasha he needs to work on it ) strength, aggressiveness, an adventurous "all or nothing attitude" that I like in a forward... he may go a very long way... it's only up to him.

25. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though my post said nothing about Europe or who will get there first or even whether they will get there, I will say I think Klejstan will get to Europe before Yura does. Mainly because Klejstan is going to get the exposure to European teams from playing with the u-23's and full national team that Yura won't.