Can we have a good black role model please ?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Rambler, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I was having a crack at his general hairyness mate,hes a very hairy boy is ryan.
    More the merrier, i put forward henrik larsson earlier so im in no position to rule out giggs.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I figured as much. We all got to find out after his goal against Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup semifinal, didn't we?

You know, I threw Giggs' name out there but I'm going to take it back. Biologically speaking, he's no less "black" than Ferdinand or Larsson but he just doesn't look black enough. Yeah, it's superficial, but like it or not, the most important part of being a role model (whatever that is) is image.

3. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink could be elected the next governor of California. How's that for a role model?

4. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I said name a 'white british role model' without a taint to his name. As in someone every kid wnats to aspire to become or be like.

After world cup 98 and the goal vs Argentina Micheal Owen was undoubtably a role model. In the 5 years after that he's had slights to his name. The furore around his gambling antics does not mark him down as a role model for kids!

So please try again.

5. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Lee Bowyer??

6. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    This is a football forum. If you want to talk politics, go to the politics forum.

7. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may not be english, but if you want a role model of any kind look no further than Lucas Radabe.

I doubt anyone can say a single bad thing about this man.

He won the FIFA Fair Play award in 2000. Also won the Premier League's 10 Seasons Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Community.

can't think of anyone better.

8. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    With todays media if you're not involved in some kind of scandal your seen as boring. Michael Owen, Alan Shearer and Gary Lineker are all perfect role models. They reached the peak of the game, captained their country, and were each regarded as the one of the finest strikers in the world.

I'll admit that Shearer has less personality than a glass of water and has been known to take a tumble "for his country" but he's a simple bloke, doesn't want to get involved in the media circus, just wants to be home with his family. But he's a passionate player and plays with pride.

Lineker was practically a saint. Never even booked, Golden Boot winner at Mexico '86. How can anyone be more of a role model that that?

9. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

He's also a dirty git, elbows and kicks flying everywhere, remember the time he kicked neil lennon full in the face when he was lying on the ground and got away with it scot free because he was the captain of england and it was just around the corner from either france '98 or euro '96 and the then poster boy of english football couldnt have such a smudge against his name.

10. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Its a contact game and if he went unpunished for that its the FA's fault.

What is a role model then? Someone who couldn't harm a fly, and doesn't do anything off the pitch either. Aside from Lineker I can't think of anyone else who's kicked a ball who would fit into that category. But the game has changed since he played anyway so I don't think it's possible nowadays.

In my mind every England player is a role model as is every other player who represents their country.

11. nurspec

nurspec Member

Sep 26, 2003
    new york
    Well i think people are missing the fact that aren't supposed to be "Black British role models".That's just not what that society wants to support.Why do you think a guy like Frank Bruno can be so popular,probably the most popular British black i history.He was a star because he was obviously intellectually challenged and therefore harmless to the power structure.

12. ATL Blue One

ATL Blue One New Member

Feb 4, 2001
    ATL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lay off the CRACK pipe

13. Re: Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

Yeah i heard that too - he's a true thug ain't he

Anybody notice the Met appointed that black guy to some top post in the force and make a song and dance about it in the press? Something in me makes me wonder if it's an attempt to ease relations with the black community???????
    Black role models mostly occur in sport cos they hardly get a chance anywhere else - politics for example, who is there? Paul Boateng and some woman from Hackney - hardly representative.
    In sport, what about Linford Christie, Dwain Chambers, Lennox Lewis and going back a few years, players like Regis, Barnes, Anderson, Cunningham etc did a lot for young lads.

14. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Re: Re: Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

Best post in the entire thread.

15. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There are plenty of Black Brits outside of football who have got themselves an education and are
    committed to improving the lives of others.....

http://www.100greatblackbritons.com/list.html

Let's face it most footy players of all races are secondary school dropouts whose only interests off
    the pitch are their bank balances and who's ordering the next round! I don't see why kids would
    want any of 'em as role models

16. chelseabelle

chelseabelle New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    see above
    George Weah is nearly every budding footballer's role model in Africa. Shame he doesn't influence more of our kids.

17. They want em as role models cos a lot of black footballers come from the same areas or same kind of areas of depravation as the kids looking up to em. I know it won't mean much to you guys but Darren Moore at the Albion does a lot of work in the community, he's from Handsworth and knows what the kids in places like that are going through. He might be a school dropout or whatever but lets face it - so are most of the kids in places like Handsworth or the estates in London which means they can relate to those players.

18. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Rather be a dirty git and play with some honor, than flop around on the ground every time he is touched, which describes many Italian and Argentinian strikers, and Ruud Van Noodlehead.

19. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Absolutely. One of my all-time favourite players.

20. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Pfff. The only time we mentioned any Yanks was to talk about what crappy role models they are.

I suppose Bush is a decent role model for someone with brain damage.

21. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    [​IMG]

Ask any dude or gangsta on the street about andi peters...
    and they'll say that they give mad props to peters for his rise up the childrens TV ladder.

22. Remember how he kept it gangsta with his blud Ed -them boys were tight. I ain't feeling 'P Man' for the way he dissed Ed as soon as the fame, fortune and females (well maybe not the last one) came his way. He left Ed back in the projects while 'P Man' was flashin his bentley, beamer and bum to anyone who would notice. That boy treated Ed bad, he used him to get to the top now Ed's keepin it gully and 'P Man's' a sell out *#*#*#*#*# flexin stripey jumpers and square afros.