Can We Beat Arsenal?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by yasik19, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And let's not forget the Man City goal was a PK and the Soton one was a wonder goal by Beattie. Probably top 5 goals of the year because of the skill and who it was against...and it was 15 secs into the game.

2. PokerNSoccer

PokerNSoccer New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Area 51 Chicago
    If the ref is Mike Riley!

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you give us Gunners enough credit. Most would admit that Chelsea certainly has the ability to beat Arsenal and vice versa. Chelsea has a good squad...especially the defense. Anything could happen on Dec. 12th.

4. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Read my previous posts, I give THEM tons of credit. They are incredible. It's Arsenal fans. Most are just blinded by 50 straight wins to the point that they can't accept (or remember in some cases) Arsenal ever losing a game. To some (not saying you) Arsenal are unbeatable, but the intelligent ones of us on both sides know that's not true. No team is unbeatable. Arsenal had an incredible run. I think they are likely to go and start another one this week against Southampton but it's just nuts when Arsenal fans say things like "we are going to crush you". It's like they just started watching EPL and Arsenal and can't remember the Gunners ever losing a game. I don't doubt we'll probably lose to you guys on the 12th, because we ALWAYS lose to you at Highbury. Much like we ALWAYS beat Man U at Old Trafford and Spurs at Three Point Lane. I'm just glad to see that there are some level headed Arsenal fans out there. (and it goes both ways, there are some Chelsea fans who don't know any better.)

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well when I said "us Gunners" I was talking about the fans. Sure there are a few that are blinkered in their views but I don't think they're the majority.

Btw, you beat us at Highbury in the CL.....much to my chagrin.

6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah but that doesn't count, everyone beats Arsenal in the CL. :D

See I think it's opposite with Gunner fans. Hopefully you can change my lowly opinion of Arsenal fans.

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You're right about that....

Too many Arsenal fans seem to think that winning every game is their birthright. Find me a team, any sport, anywhere, that wouldn't be happy to be 8 - 1 - 1 after 10 games. I hate losing to Man Utd, obviously, but we knew we were going to lose in the Premiership this year. I'm not too upset with the loss because I don't care about any other teams. For me, it is not worse to lose to Man Utd than losing to Bolton. I'd be upset if we were beaten by a better team, and Man Utd was not a better team. We played at OT on a miserable wet pitch and lost the game on a blatant dive. I'm ready for Man Utd again. But first, we've got you 12 December. That's the bigger game.

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    ROTFLMFAO - Quality.:D:D

You have been repped!

9. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Wow, you have a lot of rep Clan - I wonder if that will be reduced much during your seven days of love Arsenal threads after the game at Highbury? Im looking forward to seeing Gilles Grimandi as your Avator!!! :D

10. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Yes, Chelsea can beat Arsenal. Arsenal struggles in Europe, and Chelsea plays a more European style than any team in the EPL, and has an awesome defence.

Arsenal are a great team, but they won't be able to get all their passes through the Chelsea midfield and defence. Granted, Chelsea don't always get the most goals, but they usually do get quite a few shots, even if they are from distance, and Lehmann is pretty poor, so I think it will go Chelsea's way. Not to mention Cech, who is fantastic

Also, Arsenal seems pretty weak in the air, and if Terry gets on the end of some set pieces, he could be devastating

As for the score, I would say 1-0 or 2-1 Chelsea

11. Native

Native New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Do you guys know we play Arsenal and Man Unt back to back in April? April 16 and April 20. Im praying against a late season swoon....

12. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    2 b fair form goes out the window amongst the big boys I always expect a draw when they meet but if things stay this tight these games could decide whose the Guv'nor @ seasons end :cool:

13. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think Chelsea are better equipped to beat us on skill than any other team in the Prem - the squad is outstanding, and they're coming together nicely this season under Mourinho (arrogant, annoying, he wins, 'nuff said). United always pose a threat when they stick to their physical game, but it's a tenuous tactical play because if one or two calls go our way, it's a different match.

Chelsea will certainly take a page from the United playbook and attempt to close down the Arsenal attack quickly and hope to frustrate us early on (this strategy works if you can execute it properly, and Chelsea have the men to do it). I'd still expect a rough game, but nothing like what we've seen against United.

There are several x-factors here, including:

1. Arjen Robben - He was impressive for PSV last season and he's beginning to show how dangerous he can be for you all. Of everyone Chelsea brought in, I still believe Robben is the best. If he plays wide left, our right sided attack will be disabled since Freddie will need to help Lauren. If he plays up front or just off Eidur in the slot, I think Vieira/Toure might be able to contain him better (can anyone say physical intimidation?).

2. Frank Lampard - If Frank takes control of midfield like he did against West Brom (although he'll have his work cut out for him against our mid), the goalscoring opps will come for you. If the Chelsea attack can show up, we'll be cautious about pouring forward and Reyes/Henry/Bergkamp could become more isolated.

3. Bergkamp - Carvalho/Terry are well-drilled and experienced, but Dennis' vision and creativity (not really on display at Southampton) could produce the unexpected. We'll see if his dip in form lasts across the next few matches.

4. Reyes/Henry - Ferreira is a solid right back, but dealing with both Jose and Thierry on an overloaded Arsenal left will be tricky. He's also prone to the occassional (but often high-profile) positioning error.

14. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Steady on mate. That just uncalled for. Sometimes we draw!

I dunno about Chelsea beating Arsenal at Highbury, history is against you but I actually have a really strong feeling Chelsea are gonna take the title this year. When you consider that:

1) We have not won it twice in a row post WW2
    2) Out current form is slipping with us LUCKY to get a draw against relegation fodder.
    3) Man Utd are nowhere to be seen.

If Arsenal dont make some ground soon then the Arsenal v Chelsea derbies could well turn out to be league deciders...

15. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    That we do, but while your statement is true, it is irrelevant in the context of Arsenal vs Chelsea. It is my opinion that when English clubs play each other they play EPL style football even though it may be a CL match. So what your effectively saying is "Chelsea will beat Arsenal because they are better in the CL" - If ive misunderstood you - ho hum - ignore me :)

He's actually more skilfull than you give him credit for, and I can garauntee he is more than capable of stoping long range shots. Where Lehman gets it wrong is his positioning during close range scrambles and corners and the like. Plus he has an unerving tendancy to come screaming off his line at the worst possible moments :D

Granted, we seem to be struggling from set pieces, especially corners. Lets just hope its a hole that gets plugged sooner rather than later...

Not a prayer :)